Talk

Advanced search

Struggle with what to wear 'out' when it's cold

(11 Posts)
octopusrus Tue 17-Jan-17 19:28:07

Jumpers look too casual, but everything else I absolutely freeze in. What do you wear when it's cold and you're going somewhere nice?

ElspethFlashman Tue 17-Jan-17 19:30:22

Honestly, just the exact same tops but layers underneath. Am a big believer in the humble thermal camisole.

octopusrus Tue 17-Jan-17 19:34:15

I have loads of nice tops I can put a cami under but my arms still get cold! grin

seefeld Tue 17-Jan-17 19:34:45

I wear thermals underneath my normal tops too - either Heat Tech ones from Uniqlo or from M&S. I've also got thermal 100 denier tights from M&S to wear with skirts and then I layer short ankle socks on top for extra warmth (they don't show under ankle boots). If it's really cold I wear the thermal tights under jeans.

octopusrus Tue 17-Jan-17 19:35:07

Also the straps look weird if they accidentally stick out the sides of some of my tops...

Doobigetta Tue 17-Jan-17 20:07:44

I've struggled with this the last couple of weeks as well. All my "going out" clothes have short or no sleeves. I've got a big metallic print scarf that I wrap myself up in once I'm forced to take my coat off, and my flat OTK boots have had as many outings as me since Christmas, but I really want a jumper, cardigan or something that manages to be both warm and dressed-up stylish. Have had zero success finding one.

leadrightfoot Tue 17-Jan-17 21:23:04

I have some very fine knit silk fitted jumpers or cashmere and silk with detailing on the sleeves which work but you have to be picky on finding the finest knit and fit for it to work
I have 2 from about 10 years hunting

seefeld Tue 17-Jan-17 22:02:08

Sorry, crossed posts and so my advice upthread wasn't very helpful!

I have fine knit jumpers too and I wear them with the thermals underneath. One with a ruffle detail on the front, a black one with a black lace panel on it (Whistles) and another with a subtle sparkle (also Whistles). I wear the first two with a leather skirt to dress them up a bit and the sparkle one with black skinny jeans and high heeled ankle boots.

octopusrus Sun 22-Jan-17 20:22:38

Thank you all, will have a look for some smart-ish knits.

polyhymnia Mon 23-Jan-17 22:48:07

Yes, the same. Cashmere jumpers with thermal camisoles underneath.

JaceLancs Tue 24-Jan-17 00:26:25

Cashmere jumper with cashmere cardigan on top plus wool coat does it for me
I'm also a cashmere gloves n scarf fan when very chilly
For some reason I don't get on with thermals
If really cold (-25 where I was recently I swapped wool coat for fake fur and added silk t shirt underneath the jumper and cardigan)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now