Talk

Advanced search

Say yes to the dress (it's not a wedding dress)

(27 Posts)
Racheyg Tue 17-Jan-17 09:55:12

You guys where so helpful with helping me pick a dress for my friends wedding last September so I thought I would ask you lovely people again.

Wedding not till may but I have seen this dress on ASOS problem is I'm a 12 and it's a size 14. Have since found it on eBay in size 10. I'm planning ( trying) to lose weight so should I get the 10 on eBay?

What do you guys think?

Bluntness100 Tue 17-Jan-17 09:57:34

I think it's a lovely dress. Why not order the 14 , try it, if it doesn't fit, then order the ten, bear in mind you'd need to lose about ten pounds to drop a dress size though and be sure uou can do that in the time frame.

Cakingbad Tue 17-Jan-17 10:00:47

It's a lovely dress but I think you should wait until April. You will know what size you are and you may well see something you like even more in the Spring.

HorseyHorseyTwat Tue 17-Jan-17 10:20:46

Honestly I think it shows a bit too flesh for a wedding.

HorseyHorseyTwat Tue 17-Jan-17 10:21:41

Too much flesh, that should say. Also, April can still bloody cold, you could end up freezing your tits off!

xStefx Tue 17-Jan-17 10:21:56

Lovely dress, beautiful colours

WellErrr Tue 17-Jan-17 10:23:12

That's absolutely fine for a wedding. With a hat and jacket?

I'd get the 10.

Racheyg Tue 17-Jan-17 11:59:21

Thanks guys. 10lbs seems a lot to lose but I am (hoping) planning on losing it very soon. I might wait like suggested

Racheyg Tue 17-Jan-17 12:02:08

Oh too much flesh?! That has thrown a spanner in the works grin I can see what your saying as may isn't quite summery. and I don't want to look a "hot mess" that looks like has rolled out of a night club.

HorseyHorseyTwat Tue 17-Jan-17 12:06:35

Bear in mind that I'm an old fart though! It just looks quite short and quite sheer on top, and I tend to follow the "rule" of legs out or boobs out, not both.

WellErrr Tue 17-Jan-17 13:42:10

It's not too much flesh, you couldn't get a much higher neckline, and it's just above the knee. It's fine.

EverythingEverywhere1234 Tue 17-Jan-17 13:46:35

It's beautiful and perfect for a wedding imo. I'd buy the 14 though and check the fit, a couple of dresses I've had from ASOS have come up very small.

sweetheart Tue 17-Jan-17 14:21:05

I think it's a lovely dress. i'd order the 14 and see what the size is like. You could possibly have the bigger size altered to fit you if you have lost weight in a few months time.

CurlsLDN Tue 17-Jan-17 14:23:49

Is the top sheer except for the embroidery though? If that's the case, then I agree too much flesh

Bluntness100 Tue 17-Jan-17 14:28:42

I'm struggling to see how it's too much flesh also? 🙄 I had a dress very similar years ago I wore to a wedding, loved it, certainly wasn't too much flesh. It's a very pretty dress.

FashionMommy Tue 17-Jan-17 14:43:22

Lovely dress, but would wait until May to see what size you are and by the time you will need it, you might find even more beautiful dress.

WhatchaMaCalllit Tue 17-Jan-17 14:47:19

It's much easier to take in a dress than to let one out. I'd buy the 14, lose the weight that you're planning to and if you don't manage to reach the goal, get the dress taken in.

Racheyg Tue 17-Jan-17 15:05:55

Thanks for all the replies. I have attached one of the pics from the eBay dress.

It is semi sheer in the chest area but as mentioned it has a high neck line. Also I have another wedding in august which I might wear it to which will give me ample time to lose the weight to fit into a 10 grin

toffeeboffin Tue 17-Jan-17 15:22:34

Absolutely stunning dress OP, love it.

PurpleMcPants Tue 17-Jan-17 15:28:40

It looks from the eBay pic that the whole central panel is sheer apart from the embroidery, in which case I'd say way too much for a wedding.

Laiste Tue 17-Jan-17 16:00:43

I would be a bit wary if that is a sheer panel given the occasion. It would depend how tall you are/how long in the body you are as to where the hemline fell. Personally that wouldn't come to anywhere near just above the knee on me. It would be half way up my thighs!

Flesh on show does seem to be more common at formal or church do's these days. I'm a bit more old fashioned i guess grin

Racheyg Tue 17-Jan-17 16:11:58

It's great to have everyone's perspective.

If it makes a difference I'm 5ft 4 early 30's and blondish hair. ( it's dyed grey at the moment grin)

Peregrane Tue 17-Jan-17 16:18:58

I'm with the "pretty dress, too much flesh" crowd. I'm also early 30s and think it would not be quite appropriate for a wedding. Pity they made that panel sheer, it would have worked well if it had been an opaque light pink layer! If you are desperate for that dress, would you consider paying for alterations including an opaque layer to the front?

namechange20050 Tue 17-Jan-17 16:21:29

Lovely dress but I think it's too sheer for a wedding! If it's showing the outline of your boobs then it's too much I think, I am the least prudish person clothes wise as well if that helps!

BitOutOfPractice Tue 17-Jan-17 20:55:16

I'm afraid I agree. You should show boobs or legs. Not both. Especially at a wedding.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now