Talk

Advanced search

Casual non jeans trousers, no clue

(6 Posts)
Putyourdamnshoeson Tue 17-Jan-17 09:40:22

Hi, not a newbie, but locked out of old profile.
I've recently returned to work after years at home. My old career was v formal and nothing fits anymore anyway. I now work in KS1 of kids' school. I've lived in denim for 7 years and no blue denim is permitted.
I don't feel very comfortable in skirts/dresses, but wear a few. I usually wear black skinnies, but really need something else.
I want trousers that are practical and stylish and suit my shape, 5ft 5, size 16, v jiggly belly.
Any advice on shape/style and where to buy. Don't mind spending up to £50 for the right thing,but no more, as snot and gravy are daily hazards.

MouseLove Tue 17-Jan-17 09:43:11

Next? Maybe you could get some thicker cotton palazzo style pants for the winter and some classic palazzo pants for the spring and summer. They are flattering in shape, lovely to wash and dry quickly and often come in lots of different patterns or plain colours. You can also get cotton dress pants that are elasticated waist too. Lovely with longer tops. Good luck in your new job!! X

Putyourdamnshoeson Tue 17-Jan-17 09:51:53

Thank you. I've been doing it for a couple of months now, I really like it actually. It's a TOTAL chafe of pace from pre kid career!

I'd always avoided palazzo styles to be honest (used to love them back in size 10/12 days!) Because I think they widen me,not sure how much lower tummy support they give either. Will have a look though. Thank you.

NewPantsforaNewYear Tue 17-Jan-17 13:41:25

How about some jeggings. I have a pair from Sainsburys like
these
These colours aren't great but I expect they'll have more in (although I believe mustard is v fashionable)
M&S jeggings are meant to be v good but I've not tried them.

EmmaWoodlouse Tue 17-Jan-17 15:42:32

Hi, I am a TA in a primary school and almost exactly the same size and shape as you.

In my school you can usually get away with wearing non-blue jeans. I sometimes wear black straight jeans as long as they're really black - faded ones get relegated to weekends. But I also wear cheapo (Primark or similar) narrow trousers that aren't jeans, preferably cotton-mix with some kind of pattern on them (so the paint and gravy don't show up so much!) and nearly always a plain black V- or scoop-necked top with those. In summer I like those loose, but not massively wide linen-mix trousers that are about £10 in Primark every year - I get two or three pairs, and at that price I'm not heartbroken if they get trashed.

If you're worried about looking unoriginal in clothes like that, I usually jazz mine up a bit with a scarf and/or a couple of colourful bangles. Some of the kids I support like to use the bangles as a sort of fiddle toy too, which keeps them out of trouble!

Knitted tunic tops/short dresses and leggings are also a very popular combo at my school.

Softkitty2 Tue 17-Jan-17 15:43:57

Chinos.. They come casual and more structured, comes in block colours or prints. Comfortable and stylish.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now