Talk

Advanced search

Smell of Vintage Clothes

(21 Posts)
AteRiri Mon 16-Jan-17 06:56:15

I am lusting after a vintage sukajan (Japanese) jacket but worried about the smell.

Do I take the plunge? Is it safe to dry clean vintage clothes?

How do I remove the smell?

CaoNiMa Mon 16-Jan-17 06:57:14

I bought a vintage kimono that benefited from a few squirts of Febreeze. Not sure it's necessarily the best method, but it worked for me!

IJustLostTheGame Mon 16-Jan-17 08:55:17

It will dry clean fine.
Enjoy your jacket.
I love the 'vintage smell' blush

AteRiri Mon 16-Jan-17 08:59:30

It's so expensive though - £159 (with shipping). But I really really want it!

Floisme Mon 16-Jan-17 09:15:41

Sounds great - and they have an interesting history too. There are vintge websites that advise on care and they'll probably say just sponge it down lightly and hang it outside. But if it smells then frankly that doesn't always cut it. I'm assuming it's rayon or silk so I would probably swish it around in some warm water, pat with towel and dry flat. But if that didn't work, or if it was a close fit and I was worried about shrinkage, I would cross all my fingers and toes and get it dry cleaned.

There's definitely a risk e.g. it could damage the fabric or the colours might run. And it could still shrink at the dry cleaners. My view is that if it's not sturdy enough to withstand washing or cleaning then it's not going to last long anyway but some people would tell me off. It's something you have to weigh up before you buy.

AteRiri Mon 16-Jan-17 09:21:18

It's a blend of satin and polyester. Seller says it's from the 90s.

I find it expensive but it seems that's the average price for vintage sukajan. The seller actually gave me a discount - it was originally £205 with shipping.

Floisme Mon 16-Jan-17 09:25:32

That sounds a lot if it's a 90s copy but I'm no expert and prices will have gone a bit crazy because of the bomber jacket trend. But if it's 90s and polyester then you probably don't need to worry as much about smells and it's more likely to withstand washing or dry cleaning.

AteRiri Mon 16-Jan-17 09:28:46

This is the only tag it comes with.

BikeRunSki Mon 16-Jan-17 09:30:59

1990s is vintage?????
<feels old>

Floisme Mon 16-Jan-17 09:33:45

Hmm grin Are you on friendly terms with any local vintage stores? I'd probably call into mine with a copy of that label and ask their advice. They're normally very friendly and really into the clothes so happy to help.

Floisme Mon 16-Jan-17 09:36:04

Bike some of the stuff in the vintage shops round here is less than 10 years old!

BikeRunSki Mon 16-Jan-17 09:42:46

Is it not just "second hand" if it's only 10 years old?

Floisme Mon 16-Jan-17 09:47:39

It was all second hand in my day grin It was only when Kate Moss discovered it that they re-branded it 'vintage' - and ruined it for the rest of us!

burnishedsilver Mon 16-Jan-17 10:02:42

In hollywood, wearing something twice is classed as vintage wink

If there is a damp sort of smell it will never come out (lesson learned the hard way).

Floisme Mon 16-Jan-17 10:25:40

Op, I may be completely out of touch and feel free to tell me so but.... the more I think about it, the more that sounds like a lot of money for something only twenty years old, especially when you haven't seen, felt, tried on or sniffed it.

Have you had a look in your local vintage stores to see if they have anything similar and to check the going prices? I don't buy vintage online, partly for the reasons above but also because I don't live in an affluent city so my local shops are often cheaper.

AteRiri Mon 16-Jan-17 10:35:15

Yeah it's a lot of money, I agree. Which is why I haven't yet decided whether to go through with it.

I have never found a sukajan anywhere here, though - Australia. Japan has a lot but I'm not going there anytime soon. There's a dupe on sale right now in a mall here for 95 AUD (half the original price) but I suspect it's same quality as the dupes from China (eBay and Aliexpress).

I compared prices online and it seems it's the average price, with older ones going up to even thousands of dollars.

AteRiri Mon 16-Jan-17 10:36:41

Etsy sukajans

Floisme Mon 16-Jan-17 10:44:22

Yes I've just had a google and seen an 80's one at over £2,000 shock

It'll be the bomber jacket trend that's pushed prices up. Normally vintage clothes appreciate in value but this time the price could come down when they go out of fashion. That may not be a problem if you love it and wear it loads but it may mean you'll lose money if you try and sell it on later.

Do you know if the dealer is reliable?

AteRiri Mon 16-Jan-17 10:48:21

Do you know if the dealer is reliable?

Not really, he has six glowing feedbacks though. I think Etsy also has buyer protection and payment is through Paypal.

Floisme Mon 16-Jan-17 11:33:14

Not sure what to advise really. I know a little bit about vintage but I took a long break from it which means I'm not up to speed with online trading. I guess my rule of thumb is never to pay more than I can afford to write off - if that makes sense. Good luck!

AteRiri Mon 16-Jan-17 20:14:42

Thanks, Floisme!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now