Talk

Advanced search

Top to go with leather skirt

(28 Posts)
DragonRojo Sun 15-Jan-17 20:09:32

I'm going out next Friday, which is quite a rare event. I'm looking for a top to go with a black leather skirt. I'm size 10-12, hourglass, good boobs. So I'd love something a bit sexy but understated. Does that make sense? The skirt is short but I'm wearing thick tights and brogues. Any suggestions? Budget up to £60

ClockKeeper Sun 15-Jan-17 20:20:57

Following this!

I have a black leather pencil skirt and am also looking for the perfect top to wear with it.

Saw Holly Willoughby wearing a gorgeous leopard blouse on this morning last week.

The website said it was from Oasis by I can't see it sad

ClockKeeper Sun 15-Jan-17 20:23:33

This is the top!

Fuzzypeggy Sun 15-Jan-17 20:25:53

Leopard print and leather together is a brave look imo. Holly looks nice in that pic but I think that it could look OTT for a lot of us mere mortals.

hussherbye Sun 15-Jan-17 20:29:51

What about this?

https://m.johnlewis.com/reiss-hattie-blouse-deep-ocean/p/2963729

DragonRojo Sun 15-Jan-17 20:40:19

I love that colour husherbye but I think the neck line is too high for me. I'm a 32F so those neck lines tend to make me look even bigger, which is not good.

DragonRojo Sun 15-Jan-17 20:42:11

Thanks clock, that's a nice top but I need something a bit more understated. I'm not brave enough to wear that with confidence

DragonRojo Sun 15-Jan-17 20:52:57

https://m.johnlewis.com/finery-bancroft-v-neck-striped-top-ivory-navy/p/3128837

Sugarandsalt Sun 15-Jan-17 20:53:24

I have a black leather pencil skirt which I often wear with a whistles sparkle knit. I also have a velvet bodysuit from Zara which is good with it.

DragonRojo Sun 15-Jan-17 20:53:24

Would this work?

DragonRojo Sun 15-Jan-17 20:54:00

Off to check Whistles. Thanks!

CaitAgusMadra Sun 15-Jan-17 21:19:26

I wear my black leather pencil skirt with a simple black kimono t-shirt from Cos half tucked in and a long pendant necklace.

It's quite understated but I'm not very brave blush

Judydreamsofhorses Sun 15-Jan-17 21:46:48

I love my leather skirt, but tend to keep the top really simple - crew neck jumpers, black polo neck, striped top or similar - and wear opaques and flat ankle boots with it.

imjessie Sun 15-Jan-17 21:50:36

Same as Judy .. simple thin black knit for me .

Hohumming Sun 15-Jan-17 21:59:51

I wear my leather skirt with knitwear and thick tights. Not great for night time I suppose but my nightlife isn't very exciting.

DrScholl Sun 15-Jan-17 22:13:00

you need the Baukjen spenser top

DragonRojo Sun 15-Jan-17 22:25:43

Thanks all. I'm checking all your suggestions

DragonRojo Sun 15-Jan-17 22:28:16

I love that Baukjen top. Is their sizing generous or just right?

DrScholl Sun 15-Jan-17 22:35:14

just right
SO worth the money. Heavy, flattering, washes well
I have both colours

CountFosco Sun 15-Jan-17 23:30:27

Just bought this Jigsaw batwing silk top today in HoF and am in love with it, it looks a million times better in real life than on the website and seems to go with everything in my wardrobe so I reckon it would go with a leather skirt. Sizing is generous in Jigsaw so I'd go to a HoF to try on if I was you.

BlueEyedWonder Mon 16-Jan-17 06:51:13

IMO Leather skirts need dressing down (even for a night out) to keep the look modern.
The tights and brogues will work well.
I have a grey crew neck cashmere top with elbow length sleeves I wear with mine. Or a fine knit black jumper or striped top.

chemicalCat Mon 16-Jan-17 08:53:27

I tend wear mine with opaques and a fitted sparkly top, with a bit a V or scooped neck for evening. Something like this.

Or with a crew neck fitted top for the day.

ChardonnayKnickertonSmythe Mon 16-Jan-17 09:16:37

I think you need either a nice lightweight knit in black or camel or a silk shirt in cream or white.

I would go for the silk shirt.

sarahnova69 Mon 16-Jan-17 09:36:57

Ooh Count I'm 'avin' that Jigsaw silk top. I have a fabulous black leather pencil skirt too from M&S Autograph. I agree that you need to dress down a leather pencil to look modern - flat boots and nothing too feminine or prim on top, or else you're just going to look like Joan from Mad Men crossed with Pat Butcher.

DragonRojo Mon 16-Jan-17 11:13:04

Thanks everyone. I have a good idea of what understated top I will go for. Off into town tonight to find it. First date in years so I am putting a lot of thought about this smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now