Talk

Advanced search

How often do you replace your knickers?

(20 Posts)
polarexpresstime Sun 15-Jan-17 15:50:32

Genuine question.

I'm sorting out my drawers and have shamefully realised I have a pair that's over 10 years old blush

Most obviously a lot more recent than that but even so.

What's what's an acceptable lifespan do you reckon?

Lovelilies Sun 15-Jan-17 15:52:30

Depends how often you wear a certain pair!
I used to have 'pulling pants' 😂😉
They're still at the back of my drawer with fond memories!

PotteringAlong Sun 15-Jan-17 15:53:27

I have got knickers I've had a longer relationship with than I've had with my husband...

Casmama Sun 15-Jan-17 15:54:52

I think it depends on how they look and fit- I chuck them when the elastic goes or the colour does. Oldest are probably 7-8 years old.

SuperFlyHigh Sun 15-Jan-17 15:57:50

I keep nicer knickers (accessorize) that I keep even with a hole in the side.

But I buy them a lot.

CointreauVersial Sun 15-Jan-17 15:58:17

I tend to keep mine until they lose their elastic, develop holes, or get so thin I can read the newspaper through them. blush

I'm well overdue an overhaul of my undies drawer, actually, but I find it such a chore, as I like my bras and pants to match - it's a major operation!

polarexpresstime Sun 15-Jan-17 16:00:03

I'm throwing all the black ones that have gone a bit orange!

Bananajam Sun 15-Jan-17 18:55:19

As above depends on how much I wear them, shape, fit and colour! Once they look a bit tatty, grey or loose elastic they're only fit for the bin. However I have a lot of pairs and some are only for special occasions and therefore a few are really quite old!

Tartle Sun 15-Jan-17 21:14:56

I have a tier system.

Tier 1= uncomfortable pants that match bras. Basically only for sex
tier 2 = normal everyday m&s cotton
tier 3= pants of shame

I do always like to keep a few tier 3 in reserve for totm when I haven't done any washing though!

maggiethemagpie Sun 15-Jan-17 21:21:48

I probably buy some nice new ones every year but keep my old stretchy ones for jam-rag time and the like. I've lost a lot of weight since having a baby a few years ago but kept my old XXL granny pants for some reason, and was pleasantly suprised to try them on the other day and find out they came up to my neck!

DowhatIwanttodo Sun 15-Jan-17 21:43:18

Mine last years and years. I've just sorted them out. I must have about 45 thongs which I dont even wear any more. Comfort pants for me these days. I do have matching sets for special occasions <rare>.

Mum2jenny Sun 15-Jan-17 21:45:14

Once they have holes in them they are chucked out!!

OhTheRoses Sun 15-Jan-17 21:48:23

Ooh I like big knickers nowadays. Some of my slightly smaller knickers might be a little tired but I live in hope they might become a little less tight.

I know I have knickers going back to 2007.

ShatnersBassoon Sun 15-Jan-17 21:49:38

My oldest knickers are about 15 years old (the most uncomfortable, least frequently worn ones).

Mostly they'll last a year or so before going a bit saggy, so they get cut down for pan scrubs and are replaced with more big comfy full bum coverage pants.

Lovelilies Mon 16-Jan-17 08:48:54

😲shatner you scrub pans with old knickers???
I've heard it all now [faints]

Newtssuitcase Mon 16-Jan-17 08:54:48

I am 43 and still have a pair that I took to university with me aged 18 blush

Aderyn2016 Mon 16-Jan-17 10:33:14

I've had some so long, I can't actually remember not having them. They still look like new. Mind, they were bought in the days when m&s made quality undies. Built to last, they were.

ShatnersBassoon Mon 16-Jan-17 12:03:12

Lovelilies - no, I don't smile

What on earth would they have to be made of? confused grin

MaybeDoctor Mon 16-Jan-17 12:15:25

I have come to the conclusion that pants are a consumable and I just buy a few more every so often, rather than waiting till I go through and sort them out. Hoping to get this into an efficient quarterly ordering system one of these days! M&S pants used to be brilliant, but don't last that long now. They go in textile recycling when finished, cut up naturally.

My big post-natal pants have had a second life as part of my skiing kit! I always think you need extra pants on a ski trip, as you tend to shower and change after coming in from the slopes.

Sgtmajormummy Mon 16-Jan-17 12:20:23

Once a year when I come back to the UK. I'm still under the illusion that M&S make good quality underwear.
It also means my suitcase is lighter on the way out, or I take ones only fit for the bin.
However some of the Bridget Jones variety at the back of the drawer date back to post-pregnancy gut retaining times 10 years ago. I felt like I had a crater instead of an abdomen.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now