Talk

Advanced search

You know those nail gel nail LED lamps?

(15 Posts)
DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sat 14-Jan-17 22:34:48

Got one for Xmas and love it. It's an LED one not a UV one , do I need to use sun cream when I use it?

Don't laughconfusedgrin

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sat 14-Jan-17 23:26:30

There was a load in the news a while ago about the detrimental effects of the UV lamps (but I read an article recently that disputed these claims) and LED were safer.

I have a tiny one-nail-at-a-time one.
Your fingers are under the light for only a few seconds.
If you used any sort of cream the polish wouldn't stick.
It can feel hot if you use too thick a layer of polish.

I think your exposure is less than you'd get outside though.
Watch some Youtube videos about application, you need to 'cap' the nail (run the brush along the edge).
BTW , its a 'mare to get off, be prepared . (warm acetone, cotton pads, foil and patience) smile

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sat 14-Jan-17 23:38:33

I've got the removal down to a fine art with no issues!grin

I read an article in the DM and they said it was less exposure than you'd get going out in your car buy then there were lots of conflicting comments too.

It cures in 8 mins total so you're not under it ages.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sat 14-Jan-17 23:39:27

Oh yes ,I cap too. I love my help mani <preens>

CantChoose Sat 14-Jan-17 23:44:27

Please share your removal fine art! I hate taking mine off and last time my nails peeled horribly, though they often do in winter anyway :/

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sat 14-Jan-17 23:44:27

** gel not helphmm

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sat 14-Jan-17 23:50:35

I have one of those finger trays which I stand in a bowl of warm water. Cotton wool soaked in proper acetone- super drug- for gel removal, one ball of cotton wool for 5 fingers is all you need. Lots of cuticle cream on to protect them then cover with all amount of wool and wrap in foil then place in finger tray .

Ten mins later it'll all be off bar the base coat which you just gently push off with an orange stick- push away from the cuticle.

Tons of almond oil afterwards.

CantChoose Sun 15-Jan-17 08:19:48

Thank you! Not a million miles from what I'm doing already but I'll make some tweaks and hope for an improvement!

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sun 15-Jan-17 08:24:41

I also use a block buffer type thing just to gently get rid of any last bits that are stuck on.

BetweenTwoLungs Sun 15-Jan-17 08:27:02

Which one do you have? Looking in investing in one but want the nail varnish to last!

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 15-Jan-17 08:33:24

Their very, very safe. Doug Schoon is the man who has the answers to this question, industry boffin, and they've demonstrated there safe.

Google "Doug schoon uv nail lamp" & you'll be reassured.

I've worn sunscreen every day for 17 years & I use mine with no qualms.

If you add a proper nail oil, a few drops, to the acetone it's not as harsh on your nails.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sun 15-Jan-17 08:38:53

What's a proper nail oil,can you recommend one please? Thanks will read up!

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sun 15-Jan-17 08:42:01

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00SWPG3PG/ref=pd_aw_sim_sbs_364_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=HHZ2SA5VKH9E1SVZMXSG&dpPl=1&dpID=31Y%2BX%2BCi3qL

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 15-Jan-17 08:45:55

Dadi oil or Solar. They're the best ones IMO.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sun 15-Jan-17 08:50:40

Thanks fluffy I might have more questions for you at a later date grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now