Talk

Advanced search

Help me help DD find her style

(37 Posts)
GatherlyGal Sat 14-Jan-17 20:42:56

DD is almost 13 and has spent the last 5 or 6 years in big baggy boys clothes.

She is just starting to be interested in slightly more feminine clothes or at least things that fit (rather than swamp).

We are off for some winter sun Feb half term and I don't know what to suggest for summer stuff. She will wear (longish) shorts but some nice tops would be fab and I'd love to chuck out some horrid old boys tshirts.

Any ideas where to look? Must be navy or maybe green/grey colours and nothing too fitted.

Teen girl stuff is often so skimpy I don't really blame her not liking it!

She's v tall and pretty slim if that makes a difference?

Ta

museumum Sat 14-Jan-17 20:48:04

Try fat face for surfy type stuff maybe??

PerspicaciaTick Sat 14-Jan-17 20:51:08

I would suggest raiding Primark ladies wear. My 13yo DD has is very tall and slim and fits into a size 10-12 usually (she's prefers clothes slightly baggier except for skinny jeans). Get her a selection of bits and pieces, it won't break the bank and then you and she can see what she actually wears. Then you can start upgrading to better brands once her style is a not clearer.

LiefieLiefie Sat 14-Jan-17 20:55:46

Forever 21 and H&M have some great tshirts and tops that won't break the bank.

I really like the graphic/band tops from Forever 21.

Nameforsaken Sat 14-Jan-17 20:59:31

Maybe surfy stuff, surfdome online is good, howies, animal, fatface.

FlossieSG Sat 14-Jan-17 20:59:56

I would suggest a stylist appointment at Topshop. Your daughter is probably more likely to take the advice from a stylist than her mum. They work within your budget and will bring clothes weather appropriate, shape appropriate and items you would never normally choose (but look good). No obligation to buy either. Other high street shops offer this service. The experience will probably give your daughter a bit more confidence in her clothes too! Really efficient, spend a couple of hours at a big TopShop and job done. There's a selection waiting for you. No trawling around the high street looking for sizes etc.

I had one of these appointments a few years ago and I came away with a much better understanding of clothes that suit me and clothes to avoid as well as a holiday wardrobe. So useful!

spencerreidswife Sat 14-Jan-17 21:04:17

You could be talking about my 10 year old DD!! She's been a proper tomboy since she could talk & tell me "I ain't wearing that"!!
She, without being pushed has recently started to become more feminine here & there. She now owns a skirt!!😂 I think that the key is to let her choose stuff herself. If she does choose a more feminine outfit tell her she looks good but don't go too OTT as I find this puts my DD off.
My DD's tops used to nearly always be from the boys section. She is very sporty & although only 10 is older in the head & doesn't like the skimpy look either as she thinks that's a Young adult look. And when you look around a lot of the 10+ clothes are not the most appropriate for young girls.

spencerreidswife Sat 14-Jan-17 21:06:55

Flossie what age does Topshop start for girls? Bearing in mind my 10yr old is the size of an average 8 yr old?

FlossieSG Sat 14-Jan-17 21:16:10

Not sure what age they start but certainly suitable for a 13 year old. When I went there was a mum with her teenage daughter and I remember thinking - what a great idea!! I wish I had someone to give me style tips when I was a teenager. I was programmed to not listen to my mother. Especially about fashion and style! With good reason blush

mytinselsinatangle Sat 14-Jan-17 21:17:34

Top shop starts at a size 4

spencerreidswife Sat 14-Jan-17 21:23:01

Flossie I wish I had listened to my mum when she told me shell suits looked awful!!😂😂
My tinsel I think I size 4 would swap my petite DD but I will remember that for when she's older thank you

FlossieSG Sat 14-Jan-17 21:27:12

Spencer my mum told me shell suits looked good! She still gives me style advice which is useful as I know doing the opposite is the right direction to go in!

spencerreidswife Sat 14-Jan-17 21:33:08

Flossie I cringe when I see pics of myself as a teenager!! I went through a grunge phase too- denim shorts with tights & a Levellers or Wonderstuff t-shirt were a staple in my wardrobe at uni with the obligatory Doctor Martens of course!!😬

snowone Sat 14-Jan-17 21:38:36

Try ASOS - they have a real variety of things on there. I believe BooHoo have a good selection and aren't too badly priced but personally haven't ever bought anything from there.

FlossieSG Sat 14-Jan-17 22:00:26

Youth is wasted on the young! Looking back I wish that I had good clothes and makeup advice when I was a teenager. I was so small and slim but would wear the same as friends and be completely swamped in huge t-shirts, jeans and Doc Martens. If I had good advice I could have mastered the look but in better fitting and more flattering clothes! It would have given me such a confidence boost. We don't realise in our youth how wonderful we could look and feel!

GatherlyGal Sat 14-Jan-17 22:18:16

Some great ideas thanks.

Not sure she's ready for a stylist though. While shopping she's usually sitting in the fitting room looking pained until it's all over.

Will try fat face and top shop and see how we go.

It would be so nice to see her in something that fits and suits her and I agree once she finds something she likes it might just get her a bit more interested.

BusterGonad Sun 15-Jan-17 15:37:14

Roxy by QuickSilver. They do some tomboy girly stuff. Red Herring at Debenhams. New Look.

SuperFlyHigh Sun 15-Jan-17 15:52:20

Also Top Shop petite. I think a good stylist will pick clothes she likes.

Better she has a few favourite clothes rather than a lot of not favourite ones.

Stradivarius is Zara's younger sister and also bershka can order online if not in London. H&m too or river island or new look. And miss selfridge. &otherstories also nice.

SuperFlyHigh Sun 15-Jan-17 15:53:15

Stradivarius is sort of grunge/emo and pull and bear nice too. Also urban outfitters

SuperFlyHigh Sun 15-Jan-17 15:56:33

Pull and bear seems sporty, Stradivarius more vampy!

Forever 21 has a wide range.

GatherlyGal Sun 15-Jan-17 19:16:41

Thanks for all the suggestions. We went shopping today and found a couple of tops in topshop and Zara.

It's a bit of a roll reversal - I suggest something and she rolls her eyes and says she's not wearing jeans with RIPS. Or tops that are are TIGHT or SHORT.

Total opposite to teenage me shopping with mother.

Main problem is shops don't really have summer stuff in yet.

A few online suggestions to check out thanks.

ChishandFips33 Sun 15-Jan-17 19:23:42

Does she like/follow any body - band/actress etc that you could chat about what she likes about their clothes?

Would she tolerate looking through Pinterest for ideas?

H&M, tkmaxx, primary might have things of interest

ChishandFips33 Sun 15-Jan-17 19:25:43

What footwear does she wear/like?

GatherlyGal Sun 15-Jan-17 19:32:39

Chishnfips footwear for holiday is a nightmare! I've ordered some Birkenstocks but I don't have high hopes.

I get loads of boys handmedowns from family which meant for DS but DD gets there first and fills up her wardrobe with big teenage boy clothes and claims she doesn't need anything else.

Small steps though we bought girls tops from Top Shop today it feels like a victory.

icanteven Sun 15-Jan-17 19:33:57

There's also Jack Wills and johnnie B (Boden teen stuff). No rips or overtly trendy stuff there - all very young teen appropriate.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now