Talk

Advanced search

Peeling nails

(21 Posts)
Tessticklesyourfancy Sat 14-Jan-17 18:07:49

Every Winter my nails peel and split. I managed to get them ish decent before Christmas but having worn nail varnish for a few weeks they are dry and peeling again. hmm I always use a base coat but it doesn't make any difference. Any recommendations for something that will help stop the peeling so they can grow better? Thanks

CurlsLDN Sat 14-Jan-17 18:28:04

Opi nail envy, it's the only thing I've found that truly works. Plus it's easy to apply, can be used as a base coat (but is best layered up daily as clear polish) and a bottle lasts ages

CremeBrulee Sat 14-Jan-17 18:30:45

You could try the IBX repair system for damaged nails.

http://ibxnails.com/ibx-repair/

daisydalrymple Sat 14-Jan-17 19:10:23

I've tried lots of the treatments available for this (from cheaper rimmel, through to revlon, nails inc, opi) , as suffer myself (combination of lots of washing hands at work / youngest still in nappies!) the only one I've found that works is jessica treatment kit for damaged nails.

I think different treatments work for different people, depending on the severity. But also, diet, supplements and moisture help. So lots of hand cream / cuticle oil and gloves when washing up etc. Not so easy to follow all the time though!

Tessticklesyourfancy Sat 14-Jan-17 19:10:28

I'll have a look at the nail envy, thank you.
I had IBX last year done under shellac, I'm not sure what it's like on its own but my nails were wrecked after the shellac sad it's not something I'd normally have done but a friend got me it for my birthday, I'd not have it done again though.

PollysPoppy Sat 14-Jan-17 19:25:50

Almond oil! My nails split following a shellac a few years ago and almond oil really helped.

beanfilledfish Sat 14-Jan-17 19:27:56

Do you use a crystal nail file ? Mine peel if I use sandpaper

MazDazzle Sat 14-Jan-17 19:31:19

My nails were in a similar condition to yours. I read a load of articles on this website and researched Bliss nail oil and the 3 day hydration treatment method.

I ordered the oil and it's made a huge difference. Though I dare say other oils would work too. You really need to keep applying it though.

Spam88 Sat 14-Jan-17 19:34:47

I'd recommend nail envy as well, and a cuticle oil is always good (I use opi avoplex but to be honest anything will probably do).

As you say they were worse when you'd with polish, I wonder if how you're removing your polish might play a part as well? Make sure you're holding the soaked cotton pad on your nail for a few seconds and then gently swiping upwards - you shouldn't be rubbing hard back and fore to get it off. Also when filing, don't saw back and forth, only file in one direction.

squoosh Sat 14-Jan-17 19:45:39

Nails dry out really easily. Rub some oil into them at night time and that should help.

Tessticklesyourfancy Sat 14-Jan-17 20:25:53

Thanks everyone. I use a normal emery board but got a crystal one in the M&S calendar so I'll dig it out. I've got some solar oil so I need to make sure I use it too smile
I do soak the cotton wool and put it over my nails,not rubbing but I think I'll have to keep of varnish for sometime now smile

CaraAspen Sat 14-Jan-17 21:12:27

Give up the nail polish etc until the nails recover. Chemicals are bad

Blahblahblahyadayadayada Sat 14-Jan-17 21:21:16

Do they peel eg the top layer peels off?

I had this problem for years and years. The glass/crystal style of nail file helped me a great deal. Also, I found taking a good multivitamin helped (I used perfectil, some people swear by prenatal vitamins!).

Maybe skip the polish like a few previous posters have suggested, use some oil and use gloves if washing up! Finally, is your hand soap in your bathroom too harsh? I find the skin on my thumb tips split (maybe weather related) but using cetaphil seems to help (this was an accidental discovery- I found cetaphil didn't suit my face and I didn't want to throw it out as it want cheap!)

GiGiraffe Sat 14-Jan-17 21:23:26

The only thing that works for me is solar oil - I have to use it year round but it does improve my nails 100%

Tessticklesyourfancy Sat 14-Jan-17 21:36:41

Never really given the hand soap thing much thought tbh. Kitchen is radox anti bacterial and down stairs loo is pears. My skin is ok and I use hand cream a couple of times a day. I'm going to give the opi nail envy a try and start on the solar oil.
Hopefully I'll see a difference in a couple of weeks. Thanks again smile

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sat 14-Jan-17 21:38:22

Mavala stuff you paint on once a week.

Tessticklesyourfancy Sat 14-Jan-17 21:40:19

Mavala now that's another to look at grin

CoperCabana Sat 14-Jan-17 21:45:58

When I had the same issue, the only thing that would work was use nothing on them at all. No varnish, no treatment, no nothing.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sat 14-Jan-17 22:19:29

Also big dobs of Vaseline rubbed in at least 3x a day.

nickdrakeslovechild Sat 14-Jan-17 22:25:33

Mine are like this, I have a crystal nail file and nothing has worked.

I have got a really really fine layer of acrylic on at the moment in the hope that as it grows out my nails will be stronger underneath.

I have also tried gel polish before, but it just pings off and my nails are wrecked underneath.

MazDazzle Sun 15-Jan-17 19:17:13

Acetone removes your varnish in one sweep, but with acetone free remover you have to rub. Acetone is actually kinder to your nails because of this!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now