Talk

Advanced search

Tights or leggings?

(23 Posts)
SunnySideForever Sat 14-Jan-17 15:34:48

Going to semi-formal do next week and wearing ankle boots. Really not keen on tights so was wondering if I would get away with leggings?

user1471446905 Sat 14-Jan-17 15:40:34

No. Tights are for going under skirts, leggings are for doing sporting type activities and at a push going under a jumper type dress!

XiCi Sat 14-Jan-17 15:48:05

Definitely tights, especially if it's quite formal. Really don't like the leggings under a dress look.

SunnySideForever Sat 14-Jan-17 16:09:04

I've never really found tights all that comfortable that's why I was wondering

IHaveBrilloHair Sat 14-Jan-17 16:42:58

Agree with pp's, you need tights

Pinkkahori Sat 14-Jan-17 16:48:41

I sometimes cut the bottom off the legs of opaque tights to wear with ankle boots, the comfort of leggings with the look of tights.

Atlanticblue76 Sat 14-Jan-17 17:24:06

Have you tried Wolford Tights? They're quite expensive (about £25), but the most comfortable tights ever! They last for years so definitely an investment. They also give a much nicer silhouette, so if you don't need shape underwear (if you wear it).

UsedToBeAPaxmanFan Sun 15-Jan-17 08:38:33

I bought Wolford tights last year to wear to a posh event. The chair at said posh event had some velcro under the seat (god knows why) and it ripped both legs of my very expensive tights. Never again!

I have worn footless tights under a dress with boots, which works much better than leggings if you want to be smart. I don't understand why anyone would wear leggings under a dress.

MixedUpConfusion Sun 15-Jan-17 09:24:02

I got a pair of Wolford 80 denier tights for Christmas and wore them for the first time yesterday. They have a big click in already. Expensive rubbish.

Difficultyear2015 Sun 15-Jan-17 09:44:25

Footless tights?
I prefer leggings but only because they are warmer. If I was to get super thermal tights they would look the same as leggings anyway

BusterGonad Sun 15-Jan-17 09:55:55

Leggings are far too casual, at a push I wear leggings under a dress but that's because I'm in the Middle East and bare legs are a no no!

ChocolateDoll Sun 15-Jan-17 09:56:07

What's the actual outfit????

You can only do leggings if it is along the lines of a knitted jumper dress type number....

Ifonlyiweretaller Sun 15-Jan-17 10:06:38

i do leggings with 'tunic' type tops (too short to be classed as dresses) but would always do tights with a dresses (even though i find the waistband of tights very uncomfortable).

BusterGonad Sun 15-Jan-17 18:23:21

I'm with you on that ifonly why can't they do waist bands a bit like leggings? Is doesn't matter what size you get, the waist band always feels like a size 8!!!!

badabing36 Sun 15-Jan-17 21:21:32

I always wear leggings. If you buy the long ones you can tuck them into black socks and hide them in ankle boots. No-one knows you're not wearing opaque tights (I think).

Judydreamsofhorses Sun 15-Jan-17 21:38:24

Another Wolford fan here. I buy a couple of pairs during the Frasers blue cross thingy every year and they really do last for years. Falke do 100 denier footless tights which I sometimes wear with boots/socks under a dress.

IHaveBrilloHair Mon 16-Jan-17 15:37:28

I wouldn't trust my cats not to suddenly jump on me and accidentally catch my tights so can't justify expensive ones, I just buy cheap £5 pairs and replace.

sanitygirl Mon 16-Jan-17 15:40:56

I hate tights too. I really love Falke's cotton touch leggings - they look like opaque tights and if you're wearing ankle boots nobody will be able to tell that they're not tights
www.falke.com/uk_en/women/clothing/leggings

BaronessBomburst Mon 16-Jan-17 15:48:12

I always wear leggings, socks and boots with dresses! They just look like opaque tights.
But define leggings. Mine are all quite thin, and some have a sheen to them. I don't wear the thick cotton ones made from t-shirt type material.

polyhymnia Mon 16-Jan-17 23:10:26

I think M and S Autograph velvet touch opaque tights are very comfortable.

user1471545174 Tue 17-Jan-17 00:13:51

I like those too, polyhymnia. They seem to fit better than Wolford.

polyhymnia Tue 17-Jan-17 09:56:40

Yes they actually do fit me better than Wolford. And I'm not usually an M and S fan!

namechange20050 Tue 17-Jan-17 16:31:33

Wolford all the way. I have wolford leggings on now; they are basically really thick footless tights, no one would know there weren't just opaque tights. Is that an option Op?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now