Talk

Advanced search

Mascara on lower lashes

(77 Posts)
Samsbakery Sat 14-Jan-17 11:12:42

Do you think mascara on the lower lashes is aging?
I'm 45 and luckily still have quite thick and long lashes that I apply mascara to both upper and lower lashes but under my eyes the skin is starting to get wrinkly.
I was reading that mascara on the lower lashes can be quite aging.
What do you think?

SantaClausMortificado Sat 14-Jan-17 12:34:35

Not if you do it properly.

I think there are two ways mascara on lower lashes is aging.

first if it's too dark for the skin tone - black can often be too harsh as you age but that is very dependent on skin tone.

second, if "bits" of stray mascara fall off on to the below eye area - they can seep into under eye wrinkle lines and highlight them. A way to avoid this is after you've applied your mascara, take a cotton bud and lightly and slowly stroke the underside of your lashes bit by bit - it picks up the excess. Ideally you want to do this not immediately after you've applied it but before it's fully dry.

HolgerDanske Sat 14-Jan-17 14:25:21

I find really thickly applied, spidery looking lower lashes definitely can be very aging, plus the considerations mentioned above. I don't tend to ever use mascara on my lower lashes as I find my eyes look far more 'open' and youthful without it.

It can be done well though, in a subtle shade and not too thickly laid on, and then I think it can look lovely.

BusterGonad Sat 14-Jan-17 15:05:37

They do say it's aging but then I think it looks weird not to do it! How can you have lovely long thick black lashes on top but silly short natural ones on the bottom? I do it but I'm not in my 40s quite yet, but think I'll still do it then! (Nearly 40!)

ggirl Sat 14-Jan-17 15:12:47

looks fine as long as you don't trowel it on

daisychain01 Sat 14-Jan-17 15:15:49

It's best to use a non- clogging mascara IME. Otherwise the lower lashes which tend to be finer, end up looking bobbly and lumpy.

Not sure if that's aging, but it doesn't look as nice as separated, smooth lashes!

user1484223149 Sat 14-Jan-17 15:16:44

My eyes look much bigger when only the top has mascara on.

Rudymentary Sat 14-Jan-17 15:18:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

trinitybleu Sat 14-Jan-17 17:25:05

Never put any on my lower lashes - it looks weird on me and I think my eyes look bigger without

SugarLoveHeart Sat 14-Jan-17 17:28:55

Depends on your eyes, I think. Mine don't like eyeliner or lower lash mascara. Luckily, I'm a lipstick person!

MitzyLeFrouf Sat 14-Jan-17 17:29:48

My eyes look much bigger when I have mascara on upper and lower lashes.

Laiste Sat 14-Jan-17 17:35:38

I look better without. I think it depends on the eye shape. Can you take a close pic of yourself without and then with and compare?

UnderbeneathsiesTheMistletoe Sat 14-Jan-17 17:39:35

I think it looks like a cartoonish like Betty Boop. Very aging and drawn on. Sorry.

I have very long thick lashes and can only use a separating mascara on top lashes. If I use thickening mascara they look fake, and trowelled on: bits fall off and make splodges too.

Having said that, I like a natural look (Bobbi brown, Lisa Eldridge have some good tips) and don't like to look like I have a shovel of make up on even if I have . I like to look healthy and well rested and have a minimalistic, cleaner aesthetic. Lower lash mascara is a step too far IMO.

SmellyChristmasCandles Sat 14-Jan-17 17:42:06

I just do one 'skim' coat on lower lashes, whereas I put a couple of coats on upper. Despite being mid 50's, I don't find it ageing. I change mascara every month, so it doesn't have a chance to go clumpy. I don't use eyeliner - it really does nothing for me and I find mascara is sufficient to open out my eyes.

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Sat 14-Jan-17 17:44:53

I generally don't mascara the bottom lashes, as mine are very very long, but fair at the ends, they look like spider legs if I cover them

for more oomphh, i sometimes shimmy the mascara brush across them, close to my eye edge, but that's very rare.

DrScholl Sat 14-Jan-17 17:45:36

no
ALWAYS do lower lashes or you look like a piggy eyed weirdo. Just a light youch though - not CLockwork orange

SnugglySnerd Sat 14-Jan-17 17:45:42

A bit depends on the natural colour of your lashes. Mine are very fair. I would look very strange if I only used mascara on top as top and bottom lashes wouldn't match. I go for a light coating on the bottom though and certainly nothing that clumps.

MitzyLeFrouf Sat 14-Jan-17 17:46:14

ALWAYS do lower lashes or you look like a piggy eyed weirdo. Just a light youch though - not CLockwork orange

grin grin

Agreed.

Rudymentary Sat 14-Jan-17 17:52:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MitzyLeFrouf Sat 14-Jan-17 17:56:46

As with all things S&B related, that's a matter of opinion.

Bluntness100 Sat 14-Jan-17 17:59:02

I also never put it on my lower lashes, my eyes look smaller if I do.

DrScholl Sat 14-Jan-17 17:59:22

she looks fresher as she is photoshopped to buggery

DrScholl Sat 14-Jan-17 18:00:04

and the bottom one DOES look odd sans mascara

Blacksox Sat 14-Jan-17 18:03:11

I don't - but my eyelashes are black so I can get away without. It ends up on my skin if I attempt it.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sat 14-Jan-17 18:04:11

My D Sis delightfully informed me that I looked like my eyes were "on upside-down" with mascara top/bottom (my lower lashes are longer weirdly )
I tend to use brown on the lower ones, black on the top if I do both (but most of the time, I don't)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now