Talk

Advanced search

Winter attire for New York and Boston

(15 Posts)
justanothermum101 Fri 13-Jan-17 13:58:18

Off to NY and Boston next week for a fortnight with DH and young DDs.

So I am currently stressed thinking about how to keep ourselves warm as I know it's going to be properly properly bloody cold.

What sort of coat and shoes should we wear?
How many layers?
I've read somewhere that we'll freeze in jeans but what else could one wear?

Have ample hats, gloves, scarfs, will get us some thick socks.
Have a lot of luggage allowance so no problem taking lots to wear.

TIA grin

user1471446905 Fri 13-Jan-17 14:04:30

Thermals, both top and bottom half i.e under jeans. Good down jacket (uniqlo are good) to go under coats etc. Proper waterproof boots if its very snowy

justanothermum101 Fri 13-Jan-17 14:32:24

Can anyone else help?!

Maybe I should love this to long haul.

slipslidingaway88 Fri 13-Jan-17 14:46:02

It was 15 in Boston last week so you might want to check the whether before you spend loads.

banivani Fri 13-Jan-17 15:44:37

When it's cold you wear thin layers that are roomy enough to trap some air (not skin tight on skin tight on skin tight stuff), because the air is an insulator. Under trousers you can wear tights or leggings (long johns as we called them when I was little). Wool is warmest (merino stuff is lovely), cotton potentially the coldest. Polyester or "functional fabrics" are only really useful if you're very active IMO (to wick away moisture). Silk can be nice, not as warm as wool at all but harder to overheat in it when you go indoors.

If you don't want to layer something under trousers you have to wear an extra layer OF trouser, like windbreakers or padded snow trousers. Depends a little on where you are and how much time you're spending outside. My best buy has been the padded skirt all Swedish women d'une certain âge wear these days - an extra layer of warmth without being too hot, and easy to take off and stuff into a bag. Also I can wear skirts easily! There are thermo tights and leggings that are good.

-15? I really really recommend wool. But it does depend on what you're doing.

Shoes: a good thick sole to get you off the frozen ground so to speak. It's an insulator. Consider thermal/wool insoles. If it's very cold it'll be dry, so waterproof stuff is not a big necessity. Kids here happily wear their Converses around, the big eejits - they'll be cold then but they won't be wet anyway. You don't necessarily need padded/heavily lines boots, if you have good boots with a bit of room in them you use layers of socks instead for warmth. Again - wool and roominess! /swede speaking

simmonsbythesea Fri 13-Jan-17 17:32:19

I wrote and lost a post that banivani has pretty much echoed:

-Lots of thin, proper wool layers, and thermal tops and bottoms as a base.
-Shoes with a decent sole, good sole is key. Not necessarily snow boots, I would also recommend sheepskin insoles in existing boots, but you need better shoes than converse or stan smiths imo. Something like a biker boot/Timberland/leather Ugg (not the classic style) style and weight.
-Down jacket under existing coat good idea from pp. But your existing coat needs to be pretty warm already and probably not a wool one if there is a chance of rain. Waterproof or at least water resistant parkas would be a good style.

Instead of jeans (which are just cotton, you read correctly, they'll be useless in very cold temps and hideous when wet) for you and DDs, how about thermal leggings or tights and wool jumper dresses?

Depends how much money you want to spend. If not much then head to Uniqlo for thermals and down jackets. Mountain Warehouse is good for kids stuff - if your DDs are toddlers, those all in one snow suits might be a good bet?

Sonotkylie Fri 13-Jan-17 18:23:27

Take a foldable fabric bag to put layers in when you go into shops or anywhere as YOU will end up carrying yours plus DCs. It's also easier to stash in lockers etc.
Have a lovely time and have lots of hot chocolate breaks!

juneau Fri 13-Jan-17 18:29:30

Check the forecast before you go. I used to live in NYC and it could be freeeeezing in winter, but equally we could get mild weeks too. If it's proper cold you probably won't want to be outside for long periods of time. But if you do want to pound the streets and sightsee then go for 3-4 layers (thermal base layer), plus down coat, hat, gloves, scarf and some proper, insulated winter boots. You can, of course, get tons of winter stuff there if you need it, and possibly cheaper than here, so try not to stress. If you're lucky then winter can be a good time to visit - lots of tourist attractions are very quiet and you can always warm up with a hot chocolate or a nice meal somewhere. Enjoy!

banivani Fri 13-Jan-17 18:38:28

We were at -13 last week and now we've been at +2 this week - it can vary madly so its best to pick clothes/layers that you can change around and use flexibly. smile

maddy68 Fri 13-Jan-17 18:40:54

It's bloody freezing. Warm long boots with a low heel (you walk miles!)
Lots of layers , long sleeved t shirts tucked in with layers on top
No one really dresses up even in really nice restaurants (you can if you want ) but black jeans and tops will be fine. Wear tights underneath
New Yorkers very often wear wellies as they are prone to floods

Blingygolightly Fri 13-Jan-17 18:47:06

If it's freezing don't be proud, wear ear muffs like everyone else! That's my top tip!grin

SnugglySnerd Fri 13-Jan-17 18:53:17

I've been to NY at this time of year and it was -15 and about 2-3 ft of snow. I went out all day in jeans and got painful windburn on my thighs.
Agree with the others about proper, warm layers but consider your activities too eg. If you are travelling by subway and spending the day in and out of shops you'll probably keep quite warm. If you are in Central Park, waiting for the Liberty Island ferry etc you'll want to wrap up warmer.
Take a decent wind and waterproof coat and warm boots in case of snow.

Pallisers Sat 14-Jan-17 00:42:52

I live in Boston. I don't use thermals or any of that stuff for ordinary everyday life. I haven't been truly cold yet this winter. We bring the dog walking in the woods wearing coats I would wear in UK or Ireland.

A lot depends on the holiday - if you are hiking/skiing/out in the country then you will need warm clothes and layers but if you are doing more city stuff then you really just need a warm winter coat (like a down coat, preferably to the knees), hat and gloves for everyone. I wouldn't wear thermals - you'll die when you go indoors if you do.

The most important thing for me would be good warm flat winter boots for everyone - ones you can walk comfortably in and can use if it snows.

The weather is odd this winter. We got 6 inches of snow last saturday and there isn't anything left on the ground today as it has been so warm this week. Don't ever recall that happening before. Today I went out wearing ballet flats, no socks, black skinnies, and a thin sweater with cardigan/coat over. If I were walking the dog I'd have worn boots and a coat instead of the cardigan.

Look at the forecast before you go - it is eerily accurate. We were told the snow would start falling at 11 am last Sat and as if on cue, a snowflake fell at 11 am. It is hard to comprehend when you grow up on an island like Ireland where weather doesn't come over a continent.

oneburgerofham Sat 14-Jan-17 13:20:58

I would echo Blingy's advice, ear muffs are essential! I've been to NYC in November, December and April and I could have used them every time I went.
I've only visited Boston once and that was in April - it was colder than NYC by quite a lot and ear muffs saved my head!

Floisme Sat 14-Jan-17 13:45:47

I can only speak about New York. Never known cold like it but anywhere indoors would be roasting so you were constantly going from one extreme to another. Lots and lots of layers and then some more. Hats. Flat boots with grips. I wore jeans but with leggings underneath and got away with it.

On the plus side, there were some beautiful, crisp, blue sky, sunny days with amazing views and no queues for any of the sights.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now