Talk

Advanced search

Beauty woes - DD smashed my new foundation - console me!

(22 Posts)
margaritasbythesea Fri 13-Jan-17 13:36:18

Dd has just revealed to me that the reason I haven't been able to find my new Lancome foundation despite looking quite noisily every day is that she smashed the bottle. I was hoping she had secreted it somewhere to try it and was afraid of being told off.

I really can't afford expensive make up but I have recently developed horrible rosacea so treated myself to cheer myself up. I loved it. I can't afford to buy it again. My rosacea is blossoming. The medication is not working fast enough. I have pmt. I want to cry.

My only consolation is that she owned up and also managed to tidy it upto conceal her 'crime' really well. I managed not to get angry with her too, which is a win but now I want someone to moan to about it. Dh wouldn't understand.

What dreadful things have your kids done to your coveted items that will help me get over it?

EggnogChai Fri 13-Jan-17 13:39:21

How old is she?

margaritasbythesea Fri 13-Jan-17 13:45:18

Just turned 9. We have been emphasising the need for honesty with her, so I couldn't turn on her for being honest.

EggnogChai Fri 13-Jan-17 13:46:27

I get that but breaking something, cleaning it up, keeping quiet and watching you look for it isn't very honest!

Skang Fri 13-Jan-17 13:48:12

You did exactly the right thing. She came clean in the end. She will remember your reaction for next time.

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 13-Jan-17 14:00:52

Oh dear, I think I'd want to cry too in those circumstances.

I think mums should have lockable make up bags, it's not cheap to replace nice makeup.

AgathaMystery Fri 13-Jan-17 14:23:19

This is what Family Allowance is for xx

Bluntness100 Fri 13-Jan-17 14:25:48

Ah, it was an accident, she was probably too scared to tell you and she did eventually so good for her. Giving her into trouble would put her off being honest in the future.

Accidents happen. 😞

J3NN1 Fri 13-Jan-17 14:32:07

How long ago did you buy it? A few months ago I dropped a new expensive foundation and emailed to company, as I only dropped it on my dressing table and it smashed to pieces. I thought the glass should have been stronger and obviously couldn't even scoop any remains because of the glass shards. Company were amazing and sent me a free one back out!! Worth a shot isn't it grin

EggnogChai Fri 13-Jan-17 14:59:31

I don't think she should get in trouble but maybe a conversation about not touching other people's things?

margaritasbythesea Fri 13-Jan-17 15:22:35

I bought it at the end of december. Might be worth a try. Did you contact the store you bought it from or the company who produced it? I am in Sapin and consumer rights tend to be a bit less well established, shall we say.

Oh, yes Eggnog - we did have a conversation where I made it clear that I felt disappointed not to have my thing and disappointed that she had been in my things when I have asked her not to. But I do feel good that it was a conversation and not a rant.

She was very scared of being told off and that's whay she lied. That's the sort of thing I wanted her to try and get over.

Liiinoo Fri 13-Jan-17 15:39:00

You handled it very well. I understand your need to rant. I hope you get a new one soon.

botemp Fri 13-Jan-17 15:41:21

What colouring are you, OP? I had a bit of a clear out recently and was going to toss out a Givenchy foundation as the colour was no longer working for me. It's the Teint Couture Balm in 3 Nude Sand and I got it to cover a bit of redness which it was good at but now without the redness it just makes me look ghostly. It's yours if you want it, happy to send it to you free of charge. Also, it's in a plastic tube that's pretty much indestructible wink.

BusterGonad Fri 13-Jan-17 15:44:25

What one was it op? It's not really helpful but you could put into google Lancôme blah blah dupes and see what comes up! I would also email the company saying it broke very easily and you are not happy with the quality of the bottle, you never know they may send another or a voucher, nothing lost nothing gained!

margaritasbythesea Fri 13-Jan-17 16:03:20

That's very kind of you botemp. Unfortunately apart from my rosacea I am ghosty pale. Don't I sound a picture? I had the Lancome Teint Idole 005.

I will try and email them. I was a bit hmm about the glass bottle but it made my skin so that I didn't flinch when I looked in the mirror.

Janek Fri 13-Jan-17 16:06:18

My mum always said that if we told the truth we wouldn't get into trouble and so we always owned up to things we'd done. I know it doesn't bring back your foundation, but i think you handled it the right way!

Pinkponiesrock Fri 13-Jan-17 16:13:59

A cheaper alternative is Clinique Redness solutions, it's not as nice as Lancôme but it's half the price and covers really really well.

twinklefoot Fri 13-Jan-17 16:19:20

I have broken a brand new Lancome foundation before so feel your pain. shockI haven't bought a foundation in a glass bottle again. It's the only solution

margaritasbythesea Fri 13-Jan-17 18:18:17

I can't find a clinique shade pale enough where I a m ( not uk).

There don't seem to be any dupes. I'll have a try emailing them.

Liiinoo Sat 14-Jan-17 22:36:04

Body shop do shade adjusting drops that you mix with foundation to adjust it to your skin tone. Might be worth a try?

www.thebodyshop.com/en-gb/make-up/foundations-concealers/shade-adjusting-drops/p/p000512

BeaLola Sun 15-Jan-17 09:31:41

I feel your pain but well done on how you handled it. I have that same conversation with my DS 9 , not on make up ! but about other bits and pieces that are mine.

Years ago I dropped a brand new bottle,of Clinique moisturiser in my sink and apart from writing off the moisturiser I needed to pay out for a new sink -put me off glass bottles forever.

margaritasbythesea Sun 15-Jan-17 19:28:41

Ouch - that must have hurt!

Thanks for the tip about body shop.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now