Talk

Advanced search

Warm coat/big boobs. sigh

(16 Posts)
Laiste Fri 13-Jan-17 11:42:05

I've wasted money on a coat which makes me look like a bloody great dumpling! Again. Why can't i get it right? Caught sight of myself in a shop window yesterday and i despair. I'd convinced myself i looked half ok but no.

Situation is: Big boobs, 34/36GG, quite chunky upper arms, short neck and narrow shoulders. 16 top half (to accommodate boobs), 14 bottom half. 5'6''. Good waist and slim rib cage but they are obliterated by my damn norkage once in a coat and i just always look awful and so shapeless.

What should i be buying and more importantly where please? Anyone out there solved this issue?

Destinysdaughter Fri 13-Jan-17 11:48:58

I feel your pain OP! You have to be v careful with coats as they can really bulk you up. No double breasted, high collars or puffs jackets. I go for longer, fitted coats with a narrow or shawl collar. Couldn't give you any advice as where to find them, just trawling round shops really. The sales is a good time to get a cheaper good quality one so try the dept stores?

buzzlightyearsdinosaur Fri 13-Jan-17 11:49:10

I have no idea what they are like warmth wise but pepperberry do coats. I have ended up with a range of coats, some that are only to be warn undone (pointless) and some that are huge and only come out on really really cold days. My tailored wool coat is probably the best when done up, it seems to drape better and be a bit more forgiving. I sort of muddle through and wait until spring (not helpful...).

Destinysdaughter Fri 13-Jan-17 11:54:21

I have one like this. Also avoid belts!

www.amazon.co.uk/d/Womens-Clothing/Womens-Ladies-Cashmere-Smart-Camel/B00DC1K6BM/ref=sr_1_16?s=clothing&ie=UTF8&qid=1484308371&sr=1-16&keywords=camel+coats

Laiste Fri 13-Jan-17 12:17:53

Thank you so much.

Destiny that coat on amazon looks lovely. I know someone who could take it up if it was a bit long. Is it warm though? And will it fit round my boobs?! I can't see much in the reviews about boobage. It looks 'slimline' <narrows eyes> grin

buzz i agree about the 'range of coats' in the wardrobe thing. They take up so much room! Last year i bought a coat from Very which is mid thigh length, black ''wool'', with a big black fur collar which looks ok if you let it swing open it wont close over my boobs anyway. It's so thin though that it is useful on only apx 3 days around late Septmember. I have a dark red hooded fluffy one from QVC which IS warm and does zip up - but - i look like a furry berry in it with black stick legs hanging down.

I'm looking at pepperberry. Does that 'classic belted' one have buttons? (cant see my screen well in this light) Or is it relying on the belt? I fear the sack of spuds look.

buzzlightyearsdinosaur Fri 13-Jan-17 12:40:06

Yes it does have buttons. I have had a few dresses from them and it's been wonderful to have something to fit the hips and waist and the boobs. you have to pick carefully though IMO as some of their things are a bit odd. The coat looks good though.

Destinysdaughter Fri 13-Jan-17 12:49:12

Personally I wouldn't buy a coat online as you just don't know if it will fit properly, the quality etc. I just sent you that coat link to give you an idea of what I meant. I bought a coat like that years ago in a sale in House of Fraser. Still wear it every winter! I also have some lovely fake fur coats that I found. TK Maxx sometimes do some good ones. I've got about 10 warm coats/jackets and I keep them for years!

Destinysdaughter Fri 13-Jan-17 12:59:12

Just found this one on eBay which looks nice

m.ebay.co.uk/itm/WINDSMOOR-LADIES-WOMAN-AUTUMN-WINTER-WOOL-CASHMERE-MIX-LONG-COAT-SIZE-16-UK-/262776761363?hash=item3d2eb72c13%3Ag%3A6qgAAOSwXeJYE3ub&_trkparms=pageci%253Abb0c39c8-d98f-11e6-845d-005056a04efe%257Cparentrq%253A97e6cc271590a356d430d6e0ffb9e9b2%257Ciid%253A19

SparklyLeprechaun Fri 13-Jan-17 13:56:48

www.jaegeroutlet.com/Wool-Coat/596001Z,en_GB,pd.html?dwvar_596001Z_color=75000&dwvar_596001Z_size=10&start=21&cgid=women-coats-outlet

There are several other options there if you want longer length.
I have 2 Jaeger coats and I can vouch they accommodate bigger breasts.

Laiste Sat 14-Jan-17 17:10:57

I love that Jaeger one. 'Specially in the forest green. Very classy. But there's only an 18 left in that one. Is the sizing especially generous at J does anyone know?

That Windsmore looks nice too destiny. Many thanks for searching for me.

I'm thinking of going to the Leamington Spa bravissimo tomorrow for a try on their coats. If i don't get on there i might risk the Jaeger one. Never spent more than £80 on a coat <bits nails> but that's such a discount!

Laiste Sat 14-Jan-17 17:12:00

<bites> even! grin

Destinysdaughter Sat 14-Jan-17 17:18:38

Ooh you're not far from me! I'm a similar size to you and actually have a nice black fake fur coat I'm looking to sell. The lining needs re doing but apart from that it's in good condition. And is v warm!
Interested?

Laiste Sat 14-Jan-17 17:31:32

Small world! grin I think i'm set on a sleek wool number this time around, so i'll pass, but many thanks destiny x Wish me luck tmrw.

I wore the fake dark red fur hooded one i was on about today and was cosy. I just felt so bulky and i'd love to be more elegant these days.

This one in burgundy:
''Dennis Basso Faux Fur Hooded Coat with Print Lining & Drawstring Waist''

I can't do a direct link for some reason. I got in when it was today's special value. His coats are lovely.

Destinysdaughter Sat 14-Jan-17 17:35:50

Good luck! I also found a nice good quality coat in one of the many charity shops in Leamington so they might be worth a look too.

Laiste Sat 14-Jan-17 17:41:19

Yes actually. Good thought. And I'll try really hard NOT to go into Mint Velvet grin I always see something expensive that i love but don't need gorgeous in there.

Destinysdaughter Sat 14-Jan-17 17:46:43

Haha! Ive consciously avoided the sales this year as I really do not need anything. But am really bad at avoiding temptation! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now