Talk

Advanced search

Optician told me not to wear foundation as eyes are getting irritated - help!

(16 Posts)
AlwaysTheWinner Thu 12-Jan-17 19:34:23

I was at the optician today and when he was checking my eyes he said he could see that bits of my foundation were getting into them and causing irritation. He told me I should stop wearing it. Apparently it is sliding into my eyes from other bits of my face or being transferred by rubbing etc. I have had a lot of eye checks over the years due to an ongoing condition but have never been told this before.

When I thought about it, I realised that I do notice my eyes watering more if I have make up on. I don’t ever wear eye make up (even mascara) as my eyes are so sensitive but I do wear light foundation most days as I have blotchy skin and it evens it out. So for vanity’s sake I’m reluctant to not wear any but obviously will stop if I have to!

Just wondering if a different type of foundation might be better, either one that’s hypoallergenic or a more liquid format. I currently use a Maybelline mousse one which is quite chalky and powdery. Or I sometimes wear a tinted moisturiser instead so maybe would be best to stick to that? I'm pretty clueless about make up and skincare I'd be grateful for suggestions or recommendations for what to try.

loopylulu80 Thu 12-Jan-17 19:41:09

Maybe look at the ingredients. I'm doing investigations whilst waiting for a referral as my eyes keep watering and I've so far worked out it's an ingredient but don't know which yet.

I'm trying to be paraben free until they can work out what the allergy is.

AlwaysTheWinner Thu 12-Jan-17 19:42:56

Good idea, I never actually thought to check the ingredients but I will do. Thanks!

SecondsLeft Thu 12-Jan-17 19:43:56

I find my bb cream or foundation 'slips' and causes eye itritation, making my eye weep a few times a day, unless I dab on just a very light top covering of powder to fix it. Then it is fine.

Rockpebblestone Thu 12-Jan-17 19:47:04

Try mineral powder foundation? Does not really 'slip' much and nothing oily to get in your eyes.

AlwaysTheWinner Thu 12-Jan-17 19:51:25

Thank you all for the suggestions. flowers

EmmaWoodlouse Thu 12-Jan-17 21:25:22

Could you put on a little bit of self-tan once a week instead of wearing foundation? I sometimes do that in the summer as I want to be able to wear a high SPF sun cream and obviously it doesn't really mix with foundation, but it might work for your situation if you build it up gradually so it doesn't look extreme.

QuimReaper Thu 12-Jan-17 21:27:46

Definitely try mineral makeup, I love it! Depending on your skin type etc. but if you can wear a chalky foundation then I expect you'll get along fine with it. Lily Lolo is my favourite.

mumobsessedwithdamp Thu 12-Jan-17 21:38:51

I can't help with the foundation tip but if your eyes are getting irritated by makeup I would highly recommend Blephasol to clean the lip margins. Since using it I can now wear eye make up again.

dibbley Thu 12-Jan-17 21:44:24

I find that some tinted moisturisers and foundations make my eyes weep.
I'm using Ginvera bb cream at the moment with no problems but it's been discontinued. sad

zippyswife Thu 12-Jan-17 21:48:11

I find it's the spf moisturiser I use rather than the foundation or the mascara which was the cause of my irritated/watery eyes. As it's winter I'm skipping the spf and my
Eyes are much calmer. Are you sure it's your foundation?

AlwaysTheWinner Thu 12-Jan-17 22:31:09

I really appreciate all the suggestions, lots of things to try!
I'm pretty sure it is the foundation and not moisturiser but I'll start paying more attention to how bad my eyes are and when so I can work out exactly what the problem is. Will compare ingredients too.

AndNoneForGretchenWieners Thu 12-Jan-17 22:35:13

I have allergic conjunctivitis and my optician couldn't work out what was causing it to flare up - I don't wear make up every day and we have no fluffy pets. I changed foundation about 6 months ago and have noticed that I don't have itchy eyes quite so frequently so it could be the ingredients in the foundation are different. I now use Chanel Les Beiges but used to use L'Oreal True Match.

loopylulu80 Thu 12-Jan-17 23:19:31

I keep an eye diary which ignore down everything I use beauty wise on each day so if my eyes water I can see if I did something different that day, it really helps

HiDBandSIL Fri 13-Jan-17 08:37:43

I get this if I wear moisturiser under my foundation / use a moisture rich foundation. I use a primer for oily skin (Mister Mat) and Bobbi Brown skin foundation which isn't particularly moisture rich (traditional type of foundation) and I don't put it on my eyelids / under my eyebrows and then I'm ok.

Pistachiois50pmore Fri 13-Jan-17 09:00:58

I wouldn't put foundation so close to my eyes anyway - nothing on the lids, nothing directly applied to my undereye area, just blend the product that's on your cheeks upwards. A proper undereye concealer won't migrate (Nars and Bourjois Healthy Mix are both good). It does sound like you're not head over heels in love with your foundation so maybe switch brands?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now