Talk

Advanced search

style me for my 50 birthday party

(19 Posts)
steppemum Thu 12-Jan-17 18:21:59

Hi I am in need of your help.
So, 50 in a few weeks, party is lunchtime/afternoon ceilidh, room will be decorate spring like with daffodils and bright bunting etc.

I am tall, and size 18-20 (well, 20 but hoping to be 18 by then)
I have dark brown chin length bob. I can't wear make up.

Shoes are a real issue as I am size 10, but also have problems so con only wear dead flat and no courts. With dresses I usually wear knee length boots in winter and sandals in summer. I rarely never do posh evening events/parties where I need real shoes!
I do have one pair that I can just get away with, they are gold coloured courts with a peep toe and a tiny heel. But I would need to kick them off to join the dancing. I can only really wear them for a bit, so all afternoon would be a challenge.

I work form home, have no 'work' clothes and normally exist in fleece and jeans.

I would love, really love to wear a 50s dress, done a bit steamer style with DMs But don't know where to start.

I am tall and long bodied, (as well as size 20) so not sure that any dress is goign to fit anyway (waists are usually too high)

steppemum Thu 12-Jan-17 18:25:58

here are 2 I lve, but pretty sure in real life they won't fit.

purple velvet

red

stripes

blue pattern

I have never worn anything like this, but I am the right shape for it. No idea how to style it either

Oblomov16 Thu 12-Jan-17 18:41:49

2 and 3 are fabulous. Then 4, then not quite do keen on 1.

Which is your fave? They can all be returned presumably, so why not order 2 or 3 of them?

Sadik Thu 12-Jan-17 18:46:59

Agree that 50s dress + DMs sounds like it would be ideal.
I'm not at all your size (very short) but Lady V London have some lovely dresses and aren't hideously expensive. My mum bought me one for my birthday a while back and though I had to send it back because it was much too long for me in the bodice it was nicely made and would have looked lovely had it fitted.

More expensive, but Get Cutie dresses are gorgeous and they have a lot more size options. I've got two of their dresses and have worn them an awful lot over many years.

Sadik Thu 12-Jan-17 18:50:32

Of your four, I like the Lindybop striped dress a lot.

Styling - Dress / boots / hair done nicely would be all that was needed, I'd have thought? I wear my Get Cutie dresses with knee length black lace-up boots generally.

steppemum Thu 12-Jan-17 19:11:10

like this one two
purple butterfly

steppemum Thu 12-Jan-17 19:11:56

two???
too!!!

Sadik Thu 12-Jan-17 19:14:04

I like that one too

steppemum Thu 12-Jan-17 19:15:49

I do think the Lindy hop stripe sress is classy.
BUT, I am not sure the neckline is the best.

I need to measure myself once kids are in bed and then look at the size charts for all these.

I am not nearly as busty as the model in the purple dress.

slug Thu 12-Jan-17 19:53:17

A word of warning about Lindy Bop. I'm a similar size and have some of their dresses. Beware the belted dresses as I find the waist tends to be very high and ends up under the bust instead.

If you are willing to spend a bit, I throughly recommend this dress.

steppemum Thu 12-Jan-17 20:18:38

thanks slug.
I am tall and long bodied and so the waist being too high is a worry anyway.

Sadik Thu 12-Jan-17 22:08:24

I had the opposite problem with Lady V London - the body of the dress was much too long shoulder to waist (to be fair, not only am I short, but I'm also disproportionately short-bodied relative to my legs).

steppemum Thu 12-Jan-17 23:08:48

bugger.
just measured against their charts on lone and I am 20-22 size and every single one of the dresses I like is not available or sold out in that size.

The purple buterfly is available in a bigger size, but it is really tailored and I don't think I coudl alter it.

steppemum Fri 13-Jan-17 14:55:21

I've been trawling websites all morning and can't find anything. I want it to have sleeves and not be too short, especially as I am tall.

Any nice dress in any style for daytime party size 20.

Any help ladies please?

Sadik Fri 13-Jan-17 17:04:19

What's your budget roughly (?)

humanfemale Fri 13-Jan-17 17:15:32

https://www.longtallsally.com/dresses/velvet-wrap-front-dress-05M036/p?option=05M036BLA

Do you like this one?

Ponks Fri 13-Jan-17 19:26:18

www.bombshellhq.com/collections/moss-crepe-dresses/products/bombshell-by-katya-wildman-red-crepe-wrap-sarong-dress?variant=15486951622
Saw this on the midlifechic blog and it looks wonderful, on sale and in stock sizes 18-22, more expensive but wow!

Ponks Fri 13-Jan-17 19:27:39

www.midlifechic.com/evening-in-paris/
In the blog

steppemum Fri 13-Jan-17 21:12:00

the black wrap velvet one would be nice for evening, but I'm not sold on it for a daytime do.
The red one is lovely but too pricey for me.

I hadn't thought of Long Tall Sally. I am 5'8'' and herstuff is usually for over 5'10'' But I do find dresses are always too short and too short in the body, as I tend to be long bodied, so maybe I should try some on.

budget? hmm, would like to spend around £50

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now