Talk

Advanced search

Bare feet in ballet flats in Winter?

(22 Posts)
MaQueen Thu 12-Jan-17 17:05:34

I've got a smart tunic from White Stuff (in light/dark grey) that I want to wear with black leggings. Question is, would I look okay to wear black leggings with black ballet pumps, but bare feet.

Was thinking of wearing this to a funeral next week, but not sure if it would look odd to be barefoot in ballet flats in January???

I do have some lovely black ankle boots with a low kitten heel, but they come slightly higher up over my ankle than normal ankle boots, and fit very snuggly around my ankle - so would have to pull the bottom of the leggings over the top of the boots. And I just don't think this will look right?

Bluntness100 Thu 12-Jan-17 17:07:28

Honestly I saw a woman in courts and bare foot yesterday and I thought it looked weird, everyone else in boots basically. I'd try it on with the boots.

Ginslinger Thu 12-Jan-17 17:09:54

irrespective of style, I think your little tootsies would freeze with bare feet at the moment

HowardMoonsJazzTrumpet Thu 12-Jan-17 17:10:02

I'd wear the boots but with the leggings under (surely the leggings are more skin tight than the boots?).

TBH, I don't think it really matters what you have on your feet in the grand scheme. I don't think people will be looking at your footwear. Sorry for your loss, maqueen flowers

EineKleineVilly Thu 12-Jan-17 17:14:13

Won't you be freezing cold?

MaQueen Thu 12-Jan-17 17:20:00

Hmmm, yes I really don't want freezing feet. Might see what it looks like with leggings tucked into boots.

foxessocks Thu 12-Jan-17 17:22:16

Would it work with thick tights and boots?

MaQueen Thu 12-Jan-17 17:27:59

I'm not sure about tights - as it isn't a very long tunic. It definitely covers my bum and hips, but think I'd have too much thigh on show (and they're not as toned as they once were - ahem).

Chirrup5 Thu 12-Jan-17 17:36:03

If the service is in a church (ime churches are freezing even in summer) I would diffinitely not be entertaining the idea of bare feet in ballet flats.

NashvilleQueen Thu 12-Jan-17 17:37:27

Not sure leggings and bare ankles the best January funeral attire tbh

BitOfFun Thu 12-Jan-17 18:32:28

I'm not sure leggings are going to be warm enough in this weather, and I wouldn't wear them to a funeral- have you got any alternatives?

GreenAndWinter Thu 12-Jan-17 18:35:56

I used to wear ballet flats and bare feet throughout the winter when I was young in the 1980s.

These days, I think that anything not weather-appropriate looks kind of silly.

Don't worry about what you're wearing, it's just important that you're there.

Fuzzypeggy Thu 12-Jan-17 18:36:48

Too too cold. I'd wear the boots if I were you. A funeral is an occasion where you want to feel comfortable not cursing your ice block feet. I'm sure no one will really look at your outfit anyway, in the nicest possible way of course. Sorry for your loss.

specialsubject Thu 12-Jan-17 18:37:55

Freezing feet and the ballet flat waddle, combined with wet/muddy/slippery ground. ...

CurlsLDN Thu 12-Jan-17 18:38:53

In my experience there can be quite a bit of waiting around at funerals, sometimes outdoors. Don't do it!

The boots sound far smarter and warmer (OVER the leggings) id also wear a pair of thermal or heat generating tights under the leggings

MaQueen Thu 12-Jan-17 18:50:22

Thanks - have decided to go with the leggings and borrow DD's flat black ankle boots instead. The leggings are quite substantial, they're The White Company 'Perfect Leggings'

Obviously, I know no one is going to give a monkey's what I wear, but I'll be wearing the combination afterwards and just wanted to check (am very, very new to leggings + footwear, and it's a minefield).

OhTallulah Thu 12-Jan-17 19:05:40

I think you do have to be fairly young to get away with bare feet, ballet flats and leggings tbh.
I think in the summer it's ok but a bit silly in the winter, especially with the weather forecast being what it is at the moment oop north.

Chelazla Thu 12-Jan-17 19:07:11

I alway wear legging tucked in boots!

Laska5772 Thu 12-Jan-17 19:16:31

wear tights under leggings! or opaque knee/ ankle highs under your leggings

M&S opaque knee highs
and ankle highs

limitedperiodonly Thu 12-Jan-17 21:02:19

Shoes without tights or socks in an English winter looks a bit Jeremy Kyle.

Mermaidinthesea Thu 12-Jan-17 21:04:54

Why does anyone wear ballet flats, sorry but they are hideous. They make even slim people look dumpy and do nothing whatsoever to flatter. What's wrong with boots or a shoe with a low heel.
And yes bare feet in January will look ridiculous.
Sorry to be blunt but I'd dispose of all ballet flats on a huge bonfire if it was up to me - fashion statement they are not.

Petalbird Thu 12-Jan-17 21:05:48

You could fold the leggings up to they hit the top of your boots I have to do that sometimes it looks fine

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now