Talk

Advanced search

What to wear in a 5 star hotel?

(17 Posts)
kel12345 Thu 12-Jan-17 12:18:37

Long story short- my husband and I have been married for 2 years this year. For our 1st wedding anniversary last year we booked to go and stay in a nice 5 star hotel for a couple of nights, have a nice meal, treat ourselves a bit. For personal family reasons we had to cancel. So we decided to treat ourselves this year instead. There's a show we wanted to go and see, in a nearby city (less than an hour by train from our city to where we are going, so could be back easily if we needed to be for lo). So we booked tickets for it (it's a few days after our actual anniversary), and we decided to book a night in a 5 star hotel, possibly have a meal.
I've never been in a place like that before. So I'm a bit stuck on what would be acceptable to wear.
We will be travelling there and back by train, so need to be comfy- especially comfy shoes. Would jeans and flat shoes be acceptable, or would I really need to wear a dress? We are going to a theatre. So again need to be comfy. I wouldn't mind wearing a dress, but would prefer flat shoes. We may have a meal in the hotel restaurant, depending on time, and we will be having drinks in the bar, so obviously I would need a dress and heels for that?
I don't really do heels, I would be fine walking through the hotel slowly while holding my husbands hand, but would prefer to travel in flat shoes.
I'm not comfortable with my current size and shape (size 14, with smallish boobs and larger belly hips and thighs). I wouldn't feel comfortable in a tight fitting dress, so what other options are available? And where from? I don't want to spend a fortune. I quite like quiz clothing for dresses, but not sure what type of one would be best.
Any help will be appreciated.
(We will be going in April if that makes a difference).

GingerHanna Thu 12-Jan-17 12:30:45

Wear whatever you damned well like. I would be incredibly surprised if they had a dress code and if they did it would say very clearly when you booked. If you're really worried call them.

Otherwise, whatever you feel comfortable in. I've stayed in a few 5* places in my jeans, jumper and flat shoes many a time.

twilightcafe Thu 12-Jan-17 12:33:45

What *gingerhanna8 said.

You've paid for your room. Wear whatever you want.

blueskyinmarch Thu 12-Jan-17 12:38:25

I agree with others that you wear whatever you want. I live somewhere with a 5 star hotel and I am a member of the gym/spa. All the guests are very casually dressed as they are mostly Americans who are over to sightsee and to golf. I really wouldn't over think it. Just wear what you are comfortable in. If they have a fancy restaurant and you plan to eat in it they may have some dress code for men like no shorts but in general you will be fine in jeans. Check before you go if their restaurant has a dress code?

PolaDeVeboise Thu 12-Jan-17 12:47:20

People who stay in 5 star hotels regularly don't even think about what they're wearing. I'm sure whatever you wear will be fine - you're paying THEM remember!

BumbleNova Thu 12-Jan-17 12:48:41

the restaurant and the bar may have a dress code. I think you also may feel a bit out of place if you are casually dressed in the evening, I would imagine most people would be dressed up.

that said, you can be dressed up in jeans and flats. what about some pretty sparkly flats and a nice top with your jeans?

if you are staying, can you switch shoes/outfit etc before going down for drinks/dinner?

Bluntness100 Thu 12-Jan-17 12:49:50

Just wear your jeans or whatever you are comfy in. No boast, but I've eaten and drunk in many a five star hotel due to work and uou don't need to get dressed up, you will see all sorts. Where what you please.

WorldsSmallestPatio Thu 12-Jan-17 12:52:26

If you're going to London no one ever dresses up at all. Seriously, most casual
place ever.

I go to the theatre/ballet/opera/galleries all the time. Even at the stuff that's £200 a ticket people are still there in their jeans having just come from the shops.

Bluntness100 Thu 12-Jan-17 12:53:12

>>I think you also may feel a bit out of place if you are casually dressed in the evening, I would imagine most people would be dressed up,<

They are really not.

The restaurant may have a dress code but that should be easy to find out. I've only stayed on one that had a collar and tie/ no jeans dress code on their main restaurant but the bar area was very casual.
Apart from that wear what you like. I wear jeans, converse or whatever I fancy wearing that day.

Rosa Thu 12-Jan-17 12:54:59

Am in a 5 star tomorrow and also going to the theatre , am flying in . Wearing black jeans, was going to be nice boots but due to the forecast its looking like practical sturdy rain proof ones. If eating in hotel I have a nice shirt and necklace will bung on a bit more makeup . Theater will be probably shirt and a cardigan. Or smarter jumper , scarf . If I have space I might bring a smarter pair of shoes . Really dress what you feel comfortable in .

CeeceeBloomingdale Thu 12-Jan-17 12:56:27

Ive been to 5* hotels in jeans and trainers loads of times, just wear what you normally would in any other hotel. Ditto re theatre.

kel12345 Thu 12-Jan-17 13:04:30

Thank you for the quick replies. I feel much more relaxed now. I was intending to wear a dress for the restaurant and bar anyway- it would be nice to dress up and make an effort for that bit.
But for travelling and the theatre is prefer to be comfortable- especially flat shoes.
Could I get away with a maxi dress for the restaurant??

NerrSnerr Thu 12-Jan-17 13:10:31

Seriously no one will care. In the restaurant a maxi dress will be fine. I'd be surprised if jeans weren't ok either. A few years ago my husband and I stayed in a 5* on Valentine's Day and went to their restaurant for tea which was done up for couples. Notts County were staying at the same hotel, they all went for food in their club tracksuits. I don't believe anyone cared.

CaraAspen Thu 12-Jan-17 13:13:25

Clothes. The thing about hotels like that is that they genuinely are above such things. It's a bit not batting an eyelid. Have stayed at a number but the Gleneagles experience was way the best.

plumstone Thu 12-Jan-17 15:37:08

Wear whatever you like - the only thing to bear in mind the hotel's formal dining room (may or may not be attached to celeb chef/have a star or two) they may have a dress code but its like no jeans or sports attire.

I spent two nights for a big birthday last Jan in a 5star hotel, ate dinner on my own in the restaurant in Jeans, shirt and a hoody, with a pair of flat ankle boots - no one mentioned it!!!!

Have a fab time

MaQueen Thu 12-Jan-17 17:25:31

We stayed in a 5* hotel in London recently. I wore dark skinny jeans, a plain charcoal, long sleeved jersey top and pewter ballet pumps in the bar, then went through to eat in the restaurant. Not a problem.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now