Talk

Advanced search

Painting the heels of shoes

(13 Posts)
banivani Thu 12-Jan-17 09:34:52

I own this pair of pink heels that are without comparison the most comfortable heeled shoes I've ever walked in. And when I say that it means something - I dislike high heels generally but it's hard to find formalish shoes without them. I've worn these for a whole evening without more than a bit of pinching around the toes, and I've only had them the twice so that's really very good for me.

Anyway, trouble is they don't go with anything really. I bought them on a (desperate) whim for a summer wedding and now I can't use them despite actually being able to walk in them. The heel is a brown fake wood and that spoils everything, even though the pink can be a good contrast colour to lots of stuff. I'm wondering if it would be possible to paint the heels. I'm googling but only finding shoddy DIY jobs (make your own Louboutins!). But even if it could be done professionally, what colour should the heels be to make the shoes more wearable?

Tartle Thu 12-Jan-17 09:37:40

Are they really that much of a problem? I wonder if some of this is the sort of thing that you notice but no one else ever would? What are you trying to match them with?

banivani Thu 12-Jan-17 09:43:10

Well .. black trousers for example. Or black in general. It just looks weird. Am I over-thinking? The wood gives them this springy summery look that looks daft with cold season clothes you know. (Such a silly problem, this!)

pasturesgreen Thu 12-Jan-17 10:10:56

Well, yes, they ARE more springy summery shoes! I wouldn't particularly want to wear a pair of nude pink shoes in winter as they'd look odd, as you found out.

If I absolutely had to do something with them, I think I'd go for rose gold or another metallic, although that'd give them more of an eveningwear look, which would probably seem out of place, as these are comfy mid-heel shoes in a model more suited to daywear.

Frankly my preferred option would be to get a pair in a different colour from the same brand. Not very helpful, I know.

banivani Thu 12-Jan-17 11:00:23

Well I was leaning that way myself so I accept your conclusion, lol. it's very annoying the whole business. My approach to heels is that I want one pair that goes with everything, sob. I'd have thought it should be possible to wear pink in the winter/with black you see. But it doesn't work somehow.

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Thu 12-Jan-17 11:05:44

black sharpie!

i used to dye shoes years ago...used to buy it in Woolworths, used to get good results. I have a failing for birghtly coloured shoes, and then get peeved that you just canot get enough wear out of them as they only match the ONE outfit.

And it's weird how they are always so so comfortable. grin

Or, buy another pair in black?

UnderbeneathsiesTheMistletoe Thu 12-Jan-17 11:10:15

If you must change them, why not spray the heels silver or gold.

Put paper and masking tape on the leather (careful not to over stick the tape on the leather so it leaves a mark when you take it off) Then spray.

I think they're ok actually as they are. In a month they'll be fine.

banivani Thu 12-Jan-17 11:22:15

I live in Sweden though so it'll be more than a month, haha. No, I think I'll have to conclude that these shoes just don't suit me overall. But if I do try some DIY metallic seems to be the way to go - I'm hesitant because the pink is a slightly dirty pink, a bit tricky as a shade. Thank you all for your replies! Will look to see if the same brand do similar heels in easier colours.

TrashcanMan Thu 12-Jan-17 11:37:03

Hi OP, amazon do the brand, same shoes in different colours on there. Good luck from a fellow foot sufferer!

TrashcanMan Thu 12-Jan-17 11:39:52

Oh, also have recently discovered a website called www.shoesofprey.com You can custom design your own shoes, choose type of heel, width, etc. Bit pricy but might be worth the investment to get the perfect pair!

banivani Thu 12-Jan-17 12:32:39

Thanks *trashcan*! Swedish shoe shops operate on the principle of selling three brands only and Tamaris is one of them, so I should be able to try them out. With my luck that particular model will have been a once-off though and no others will ever be quite the same ...

The idea of customising shoes is great, but it was very dear, wasn't it? But oh! to be able to get low-heeled high heels! I'd never pay that much for something I couldn't try on first though.

TrashcanMan Thu 12-Jan-17 13:13:29

I know! It's out of my price range at the minute, my feet in heels are unpredictable so I could go to all that bother for nothing! It's the holy grail, a pair of heels that aren't agony...

banivani Thu 12-Jan-17 14:26:40

Well, try out Tamaris sometime, it seems their antishokk (sic) soles work at leasta bit!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now