Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

What's a stylish bob this year? Mines growing and got no shape

(26 Posts)
keeponkeepinon Wed 11-Jan-17 18:32:46

Really not sure what to do with my bob. I wanted to grow it a bit longer and it's now between jaw and shoulder but it either sits totally flat or with just somehow ends up unkempt and like I've not even brushed it. Maybe it's because it brushes on my clothes more, I'm not sure. Plus I have a full fringe but now sort of growing it out to the side but it looks terrible. It keeps falling down looking weird. I just don't know where to go with it and can't get to the hairdresser for a few days at least.
What makes a stylish bob at the moment?

HardToDeal Wed 11-Jan-17 18:34:11

Can you do loose waves? I do mine with my GHDs, takes about 5 minutes to get that Alexa Chung style.

HardToDeal Wed 11-Jan-17 18:35:14

This sort of thing -

WomanFromAnotherPlace Wed 11-Jan-17 18:37:29

Does it have to be a layered bob to get that effect? Mine is all one length, about same as op but very thin/fine.

MadisonAvenue Wed 11-Jan-17 18:39:31

Mine's the same OP. I've grown it out from a pixie cut in the last year and it's around the same length as yours. It just seems to hang there. I have an appointment on Saturday but just to get the ends trimmed while I decide what to do with it.

I'm quite taken with the photo that HardToDeal has posted.

keeponkeepinon Wed 11-Jan-17 18:46:55

I don't know why but I just cannot get waves to look right. I don't know how people do it. Even watching you tube videos it always just comes out wrong. I mustn't be holding it in the right way.
Don't know whether to grow out the full fringe or keep.

keeponkeepinon Wed 11-Jan-17 18:53:47

Tell me not to try and trim my fringe now!

keeponkeepinon Wed 11-Jan-17 19:46:34

How do you get the easy waves? Can anyone tell me in the simplest of terms? Just had a go now and one side comes out currier than the other!

WomanFromAnotherPlace Wed 11-Jan-17 20:39:50

Oh I have that. One side of my head waves fine, the other just get straighter! confused

seefeld Wed 11-Jan-17 20:44:53

What styling tool are you using op? This is a good tutorial from Alexa Chung's hairdresser using curling tongs YouTube link

DameDoom Wed 11-Jan-17 20:47:31

Mine is one length but the hairdresser managed to cut it so it looks a bit undone like Adele's here.

gallicgirl Wed 11-Jan-17 20:51:45

My hairdresser persuaded me to have a loose perm/body wave. My hair is poker straight so no chance of waves with curling tongs. I was dubious but it works really well for me. I've got it a bit shorter with a heavy fringe at the moment, no idea if it's popular or not but it suits me.

keeponkeepinon Wed 11-Jan-17 20:52:09

I've got a straightener which I'd prefer to use. I do have a wand but burn my fingers on it!

WomanFromAnotherPlace Wed 11-Jan-17 20:52:47

Does a loose perm hold on thin hair? How do you maintain the wave?

keeponkeepinon Wed 11-Jan-17 20:52:50

Going to watch that you tube link now thanks seefeld

keeponkeepinon Wed 11-Jan-17 20:58:51

Oh if only I could do that with my hair! I just watched the first section and loved it. I haven't got a curling tong though.

thethoughtfox Wed 11-Jan-17 21:01:33

I'm obsessed with Claire's hair on Modern Family

seefeld Wed 11-Jan-17 21:25:50

You might be able to get the same effect with your wand if you just curl your hair around the thicker end of it. Not sure how to get around the hand burning though!

I had my hair cut into a bob the other week and ended up putting some Christmas vouchers towards GHD tongs (on offer at JL) . I've found that look pretty easy to do - although obviously my hair doesn't turn out as perfectly as the hair model's - and the waves last in my fine hair.

Romcom Wed 11-Jan-17 21:33:46

thethoughtfox yes yes yes Claire from modern family is my ultimate hair wish!

carrie74 Wed 11-Jan-17 21:35:30

I've got a chin length bob and fine hair and get that beachy undone look with my straighteners curling them around as I go through my hair. My hairdresser taught me how, it's amazing!

CondensedMilkSarnies Wed 11-Jan-17 21:39:45

Gallicgirl any chance of a pic of your hair please. I've been thinking about a loose perm as I can either blow dry it straight or have it wavey. How big were the rollers that the hairdresser used ?

MadisonAvenue Wed 11-Jan-17 21:56:02

Yes! Claire's hair is one of the reasons why I decided to grow my hair.

CallarMorvern Thu 12-Jan-17 08:50:24

Ha, HardToDeal's photo is pretty much my hairstyle, albeit mine has a grey fringe. I cut it myself and am lucky it is naturally slightly wavy ( bizarrely was poker straight until I gave birth!). I blow dry upside down for a bit of body, as I lost about 50% of it due to anaemia/weight loss/hormones.

gallicgirl Sun 15-Jan-17 12:08:10

I hope this works, I've not uploaded a pic before and had to edit my daughter out of it.
There weren't many to choose from other than my wedding day which I don't think is a fair comparison. This was from last summer when it was a bit longer but hopefully it'll give you a bit of an idea of the curl.
My hairdresser used small rollers. A decent hairdresser should happily book you in for a consultation to discuss and look at photos. I regularly show mine pics on pinterest!

CondensedMilkSarnies Sun 15-Jan-17 12:14:24

Oooh it's lovely !!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: