Talk

Advanced search

USA bargains

(17 Posts)
Decemberrat Wed 11-Jan-17 14:35:30

So, I am off to Florida soon, and amongst the compulsory Disney, I'm hoping to do some shopping. I know the exchange rate is dreadful at the moment, but I'm in the market for:

- A new winter coat (perhaps a hot climate is not the best place for this!)
- A new casual jacket (to wear with jeans and trainers)
- Some new trainers
- Some new casual shoes (like Toms)
- Some BB cream. I don't even know what BB cream is, but everyone else seems to have some. I tend to use Clinique foundation which is much cheaper in the US, so let me know if they have a good BB cream.

Recommendations, particularly for brands that are likely to be available in outlet malls / cheaper in the US, gratefully received.

simmonsbythesea Wed 11-Jan-17 14:44:17

There were loads of threads on this just before xmas. My own personal experience from New York in December was - there are no bargains. Yes the exchange rate is dreadful but even with the pre-xmas discount sales in every shop there was not one thing I found cheaper than in the UK. Don't forget the tax they add on at the till.

Research what you want and make a note of the UK price before you leave just in case. The best you can hope for is something you can't get over here. I found some good workout gear in Nike that I wish I'd bought but didn't because of the price, but they don't seem to do it on the UK site so it would have been a bit special at least.

Florida is full of outlet stores, you might have better luck there but it will be the same "made for outlet" stuff same as outlets in the UK rather than discounted old stock - personally I don't like that.

Can't speak for skincare, didn't look.

Decemberrat Wed 11-Jan-17 15:16:14

Thanks - previous experience has led me to believe that Florida is much cheaper than NYC, just because it's far less "flagshippy", so stores have more end of line stuff etc.

Not that bothered about it being outlet stock, so long as it's good quality and priced well.

Will definitely price check things before I go (though these days with wifi, easy enough to do it on the fly!).

AgathaMystery Wed 11-Jan-17 17:42:46

I always hit up Michael's in Florida - they always seem to have an abundance of beautiful cotton Ralph's lauren PJ's.

carrie74 Wed 11-Jan-17 22:24:24

The Nike outlet stores are always a great place for trainers. Do you want fashion or sports trainers? H and I wear Asics for sports so always hit up the Asics outlet, and I do Nike for the kids and for fashion (I wear trainers 99% of the time).

You're unlikely to find a good winter coat in Florida, but equally, the Orlando outlets know Europeans are some of their best customers so you may strike lucky. North Face would be s good call.

I always stalk J Crew (factory and normal shop), old navy for kids (especially Ts and swimwear), Lucky Brand for jeans (size down!!). Nordstrom Rack always worth a quick look too, especially for shoes.

We usually spend a few days in Orlando then go elsewhere, so if you're headed for the Gulf Coast at all, I recommend Ellenton outlet - much better bargains than Orlando.

Decemberrat Fri 13-Jan-17 21:34:13

@carrie74 Thank you, some excellent tips there.

imjessie Sat 14-Jan-17 02:19:18

My dh works for an American company and always used To get me great bargains but because of the exchange rate now nothing is mega cheap . They do have great outlets still but the usual stores don't work out a lot cheaper sadly .

childmaintenanceserviceinquiry Sat 14-Jan-17 02:28:15

i went recently and didnt get time to shop. But I was on the look out for an estee lauder skincare product. It is £22-50 here and I can often get 10% off or some freebie to try. In US duty free it is USD 25 (so no extra tax). With the exchange rate that is pretty much the same price. I was disappointed!

landwhale Sat 14-Jan-17 02:51:42

Agatha, do you mean Marshalls? -Michaels is a craft store, Marshalls is a TK Maxx place. Other TK Maxx (TJ MAxx!) stores are Ross Dress for Less and Homegoods. - These are great for shoes. Can get toms for $15, and recently got nike lightweight running shoes for $40.

Are you staying in Orlando the whole time? I live in the Fort Lauderdale area (close to Miami) and there is an incredible outlet Mall - Sawgrass mills - close by. (I'm sure I read its the biggest outlet mall in the States) I picked up a Winter The North Face coat for my sister for $40 just before Xmas. If you venture south at all, I highly recommend a day at this mall smile

Sales tax is around 6% I think..

AgathaMystery Sat 14-Jan-17 09:01:21

Yes sorry grin I was thinking about glue guns grin I mean, Michaels is fun but unlikely to sell PJ's!

ksb76 Sat 14-Jan-17 11:01:15

Clinique is definitely cheaper in the U.K sadly. I just ordered the new crayola chubby sticks - 35gbp, but $49.

Mcmcmcmc Sat 14-Jan-17 13:37:21

I was in NYC last week - no bargains at all. At sephora and the drugstores you can find some US-exclusive brands. For CC cream I recommend the brand Supergoop that has a CC cream with physical sunscreen (zinc oxide) which is very effective but for some reason rarely used in UK/EU products! It is not cheap (32 dollars) and the coverage is very light, so it's more of a skincare product with a light tint than actual makeup.
Drugstore prices are actually pretty high compared to UK products, but some brands like Neutrogena, Cover Girl and Almay are good and not sold in the UK. Keep an eye out for deals like "buy one get one free" - you'll need a store card for that, but you can always ask another costumer at the queue to let you swipe their store card (I did that and everyone was fine with it! grin)

Decemberrat Sun 15-Jan-17 10:45:46

Thank you - yes, was astonished about Clinique as it always used to be pounds for dollars - e.g. £20 or $20.

Florida is definitely cheaper than NYC but might have to hunt hard for bargains this time.

Unless Trump does something so horrific on his first two days as president that it sends the currency spiralling!

MrsSchadenfreude Sun 15-Jan-17 10:55:25

I got bargains in New York! I got NYDJ jeans for around $30 rather than the £130 here. I also bought Nyx BB cream which is the best I've tried.

Decemberrat Sun 15-Jan-17 18:34:11

Haven't heard of NYX - will check it out.

OutandIn Sun 15-Jan-17 18:39:18

North Face bought in an outlet is still cheaper than here.

UnicornMadeOfPinkGlitter Sun 15-Jan-17 20:56:56

Is look at American brands. Michael kors cheaper there than here.
Go to the drug stores to check out skincare. Again look for brands you can't get in the uk.

A recommendation for nice smellies and scented candles is bath and body works. Sign up for emails before you go as well as they always send discount codes and coupons so you can save money using those.
Also the discount malls either end of international drive I think you can get a tourist card so you can get discounts. You need tk go to guest services.
Ralph Lauren was cheaper. Again you might get a coat in there.

I do often find better deals in the regular malls rather than the outlets though. E.g. Hollister sale rail had t shirts for $5 but t shirts at the outlet were $12

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now