Talk

Advanced search

Help please with new work wardrobe on a budget

(10 Posts)
DebbieFiderer Wed 11-Jan-17 09:57:07

I found out yesterday that I am going to be transferring to a new team at work in a few weeks which will mean wearing my own clothes rather than uniform. I am strictly a jeans and jumper girl, so will need to buy some new stuff, but I don't want to spend a fortune, especially since this may only be a temporary move.

I am a size 22, pear shaped with a huge bum and hips, also massive calves. Tops I can get away with an 18 if they aren't clingy which shows you how out of proportion I am. Work clothes need to be smart casual; definitely no jeans, no open toe/heel shoes, but also comfortable and easy to move around in - not suits/tight skirts/blouses. I have problems finding trousers that are smart, fit well, are comfortable and look good, so am thinking maxi skirts with some of the tops I already own? Any other ideas?

Also what sort of shoes with maxi skirts? I have size 8 wide feet so shoes are also difficult. I will be driving a lot so need to be comfortable flats. My main shoes at the moment are ankle boots in winter, converse in spring, birkenstocks in summer, none of which will be suitable.

Any help with this gratefully received. As I said before I really can't spend a lot of money on this so it will need to be basic, neutral pieces that can be matched with tops I already own.

LiefieLiefie Wed 11-Jan-17 13:01:39

What sort of role is it? Do you know what people in that team normally wear?

Thinking about my office, maxi skirts would be very informal but may be suitable for your office.

Have a look at ASOS Curve in the sale and Mango Violetta. Both have great workwear pieces that won't break the budget.

Gillybobs Wed 11-Jan-17 13:12:02

Jersey dresses with opaque tights and flat shoes? Or a jersey tube skirt with a longer length top. I would stick to dark neutrals to keep it smart.

DebbieFiderer Wed 11-Jan-17 16:06:11

It's a community health care role, so lone worker rather than an office. Need to look professional but approachable. Jersey dresses might be an option but possibly not very flattering of my lumps and bumps. I think dark neutrals is definitely the way to go, and I will check out those websites, thanks.

Itscurtainsforyou Wed 11-Jan-17 17:16:35

I really like Sainsbury's tu clothes for workwear.

PippilottaViktualia Wed 11-Jan-17 17:25:59

What about H&M+ range? They've got some nice cheap basics that still look smart.

I've lost weight now but I was a 20 in summer and for a long time before and always found HM good for workwear at that size.

DebbieFiderer Wed 11-Jan-17 18:38:58

I will definitely be looking at Sainsbury's, didn't realise that H&M had a plus range, that's good to know especially since I got an H&M voucher for Christmas!

Manumission Wed 11-Jan-17 18:41:36

Spend proportionately more on the shoes. Penny loafers? There were a lot of nice loafers and flats in the House of Fraser sale. I think it's still running?

TheCakes Wed 11-Jan-17 18:43:02

I know you say no jeans but in the last few years most women I know have started wearing smart black jeans with formal shoes/boots for work.

piddleypower Wed 11-Jan-17 20:50:33

I was going to say Sainsburys Tu. They have really great tunic dresses that I buy for work. Even better if you get them in their sale.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now