Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Has the 'scarf' had its day...

(284 Posts)
Thrilled Tue 10-Jan-17 21:39:39

I may be the last to realise but the scarf really seems to be now rather passé. I have many that I would previously throw on with a blazer, t-shirt or jumper and feel fab. Having just been trawling through pin interest, every image that showed a 30 or 40 something wearing a scarf, just looked really dated.
It was such a great, easy accessory. Now what! Interesting jewellery, bags, the skinny scarf?

JaceLancs Tue 10-Jan-17 21:42:43

Strange - I had the same thought a few months ago
I have a lot of beautiful scarves and no longer wear any of them
I wear cashmere scarf n gloves with my winter coats but that's for warmth and only for outdoor use

DrScholl Tue 10-Jan-17 21:43:09

yes
unless for warmth

Falalalafffffffttt Tue 10-Jan-17 21:46:51

Away with you all! Scarves are good for warmth, brightening up an outfit AND camouflaging my double chin. My 22 yr old niece (who is totes coolwink) still wears them so they can't be that passé.

Fuzzypeggy Tue 10-Jan-17 21:47:56

I have to agree. I never really bought into the scarf thing anyway, not my style really, but I've not seen many people in them recently

Thrilled Tue 10-Jan-17 21:48:17

Yes, I still would wear a warm scarf too. They were the ultimate in easy/lazy accessories. I have so many lovely ones but just don't enjoy wearing them any more. May keep them though for next time round!

Thrilled Tue 10-Jan-17 21:49:20

fal move away from the scarves. They are no longer your friend.

ChocoChou Tue 10-Jan-17 21:50:18

Oh a scarf will still feature in my wardrobe and I consider myself somewhat stylish grin

DrScholl Tue 10-Jan-17 21:50:28

they are not worn by young people any more
Unless for warmth

I work with young people

Hassled Tue 10-Jan-17 21:51:12

Well I clearly do not have my finger right on the pulse of popular fashion because I've only recently discovered the joys of scarves. People would go on about the Mumsnet scarf and I'd be thinking "but what is it for? What's the point?" - I just didn't get them. Now I do, and now they're dated. Marvellous.

FelixFelix Tue 10-Jan-17 21:53:07

I am a mid 20 something who would consider herself fairly stylish (I'm an art student so technically should be quite cool although I don't think I am!) and I wouldn't touch a scarf with a barge pole unless I was going to a fancy dress party as my mother.

228agreenend Tue 10-Jan-17 21:53:12

What has replaced them?

I only really wore them as a student.

dudsville Tue 10-Jan-17 21:53:28

I noticed this too. I stopped wearing then in 2016 because I suddenly felt fuddy duddy in them. Didn't realise that i may have felt that way because young people had stopped - it's not like I have my head to the fashion grindstone or anything.

Judydreamsofhorses Tue 10-Jan-17 21:54:39

I have never seen a scarf as an accessory, just a winter garment to keep your neck warm under your coat.

Falalalafffffffttt Tue 10-Jan-17 21:54:50

Noooooooooooooo! Thrilled I'll have to take some time to process this.

trurogirl Tue 10-Jan-17 21:55:39

Nooooo I have way too many for them for this.

Although I have found myself wearing a long pendant necklace rather than a scarf a fair bit.

NotTodaySatan Tue 10-Jan-17 21:55:59

I've always thought they were old fashioned and not very stylish.

trurogirl Tue 10-Jan-17 21:56:09

grin cross post

PovertyJetset Tue 10-Jan-17 21:56:14

Definitely passé and has been for a few years. Unless for warmth.

I loved mine for when I used to have a baby and be breastfeeding.

Now it's all oversized knits and cut off jeans

HeCantBeSerious Tue 10-Jan-17 21:56:21

I've just started a new job and am staggered by the proportion of women wearing scarfs. Must be about 75%! From early 20s right up to 30s! Can't bear them, personally.

Fuzzypeggy Tue 10-Jan-17 21:56:35

As with anything, it's how you wear it. I imagine boho types will always rock a scarf but the striped top, skinny jeans and knee boots, with a colourful scarf to add a "pop" is the look that I have never liked and I suspect is on the way out.

user1475253854 Tue 10-Jan-17 21:56:45

I have noticed this. I still wear/carry one whilst travelling as they are useful for warmth/makeshift pillow but other than that, unless it's freezing I don't wear one.

whattheseithakasmean Tue 10-Jan-17 21:57:14

Trouble is, they are so damn useful if you live in Scotland. It is a rare day I don't want to have a scarf with me 'just in case'. A warm neck makes all the difference when even a summers day can turn chilly and it can be so easily be popped in a bag. I don't want to give up my scarfs!

HmmmHashtag Tue 10-Jan-17 21:57:48

WHAT. I have 9,999 scarves. This can't be? What's wrong with a floaty scarf to hide all wobbly bits? <weeps>

CurlsLDN Tue 10-Jan-17 21:58:21

I'm not sure 'young people' ever have worn floaty scarves with jumpers and thought them stylish....

I'm 30 and work in PR/media. I thought the not-warm scarf look has always been for middle aged women trying to add a bit of style, like a pearl necklace or a joules top?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now