Talk

Advanced search

Is it time to give up foundation?

(27 Posts)
Eliza22 Tue 10-Jan-17 18:32:29

I'm 54. I've used various foundations over my makeup life. I'm beginning to notice the changes in my menopausal skin so, this is probably a post for older MNs. I'm finding that my skin looks better in tinted moisturisers and wonder whether to bin my foundation altogether. Over the past 12 months or so, I've bought several which were recommended for mature skin but now find them stashed away, in my makeup drawer.

I hate binning stuff but really feel it's time to give up. I feel it's making me look tired. Anyone else in the same position? I'm using Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturiser (oil free) and Bobbi Brown Extra Tinted Moisturising Balm.

TrollTheRespawnJeremy Tue 10-Jan-17 18:34:00

I am beginning to wonder the same. I am 31 but have noticed a real difference in my skin.

ImprovingMyMH Tue 10-Jan-17 20:05:41

Sorry for the stupid question, but what's the difference between a foundation and a tinted moisturiser?

DancingHouse Tue 10-Jan-17 20:20:21

Yup, I concentrate on skin care. I only use soothing serums or primers on the skin then stick to just a bit of blush, mascara and highlighter for makeup.

MinnieF1 Tue 10-Jan-17 20:29:58

What is it specifically that you're not happy with when you have foundation on? If you're happy with sticking to BB creams and tinted moisturisers then I'd go for it, but if you still want the option of foundation I'd consider getting a sample of something like Mac waterweight foundation.

TheLegendOfBeans Tue 10-Jan-17 20:32:45

Funnily enough I was thinking this just the other day.

For a number of reasons I've been looking pretty dead past few days so yesterday I went makeup free bar my lip gloss and I definitely looked like I had a pulse.

Today I just wore lipgloss, a slick of liquid eyeliner and some mascara and looked the least dead yet.

Foundation used to brighten me up but now, not so much.

Costacoffeeplease Tue 10-Jan-17 20:36:42

Have you tried Laura geller balance and brighten?

I'm 51 and have been using it for a few years now, and I love it

AlcoChocs Tue 10-Jan-17 20:37:20

I still wear foundation, but a lot less, just put it on the areas that need it. Then blend ++ with a foundation brush so it doesn't look like I'm wearing any, but my skin looks better with it than without IYSWIM

SpongeBobJudgeyPants Tue 10-Jan-17 20:42:52

I'm 55, and I do as Alco said above. I find I manage quite well with my fingers though. Worth a go before you bin your stash?

FurryDogMother Tue 10-Jan-17 20:44:35

No, you just have to find the right foundation. I struggled with this for years (I'm 57) but then, on an impulse buy in an airport, I found something that works, and doesn't sink into my pores. The good news is that it's incredibly cheap, so worth a punt even if you decide it's not for you smile It's this stuff - though of course you might need a different shade. Give it a go )

TwinkleTwinkleLittleBat Tue 10-Jan-17 22:56:49

What a great thread with helpful suggestions smile

I'm 52 and was about to troop off automatically for some more Lancôme as I've just finished the bottle. It's ok, but I do know what everyone means by the dead look. It feels like a mask sometimes but otoh I don't get along too well with just lighter moisturisers or nothing. I need more, but I want it to brighten me up naturally.

Will def look out for products already mentioned though.

All makeup is such an expensive gamble though. My mascara collection is testament to that.

Costacoffeeplease Wed 11-Jan-17 07:05:18

If you get the balance and brighten from QVC you get a 30 day money back guarantee so plenty of time to try it out
(enabling face!)

Monkeyface26 Wed 11-Jan-17 07:12:42

I agree OP. I could never understand how it was possible to just put foundation on the 'areas which need it". No matter how much I tried to blend, it just looked odd but I have now moved to Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturiser and I use one of her foundations too which I just apply to my (aged, sundamaged) nose and blend onto cheeks either side of nose. It seems to blend into the tinted moisturiser so much better than onto bare skin and the wrinkles (on forehead in particular) are less noticeable now that they are not covered in foundation.

cariboo Wed 11-Jan-17 07:15:46

Ooh! I'm 54 & foundation is my must-have. I usually only wear foundation, blusher & eyebrow pencil, unless I'm "dressing up". There are so many wonderfully flattering foundations out there, very fluid & natural looking.

QuodPeriitPeriit Wed 11-Jan-17 07:18:57

I'm a similar age and could have written your post. I keep foundation for when I'm going out at night, but at all other times use Estée Lauder tinted moisturiser, and love it.

Sunshineboo Wed 11-Jan-17 07:20:12

Hi. I am a bit younger but was noticing lots of lines with doiblewear. I am using perricone 'no foundation foundation' and am loving it. They do a serum which is targeted at more mature skin. It is light silkly coverage, with spf in and holds all
Day. Also available on qvc if you want to have a risk free try

ChippyDucks Wed 11-Jan-17 07:20:19

I came on to say the same as Costa
Laura Geller is incredible, so is their concealer, but you need the tiniest tiniest little bit.

Costacoffeeplease Wed 11-Jan-17 14:54:31

There's a Laura geller tsv on QVC this weekend, if anyone wants to give it a go

OCSockOrphanage Wed 11-Jan-17 17:21:42

Foundations tend to settle into my pores so I have given them up. Instead I use Sensai's Bronzing Gel, £30 IIRC, in the palest shade, over a hyaluronic serum and sometimes a primer to contour. Only Harrods stock it, but the tube lasts most of a year. Then I flash a bit of MAC mineral finish powder over my nose and add mascara, lipgloss and blusher. Takes minutes, lasts all day.

TheSnorkMaidenReturns Wed 11-Jan-17 17:29:38

I'm a similar age. I use a tinted moisturiser a lot and attend to skin care.

I do use foundation though, but with care. I'm not wrinkly though.

hollinhurst84 Wed 11-Jan-17 17:58:02

I find Chanel les beiges healthy glow is pretty good

Housewife2010 Wed 11-Jan-17 21:43:47

I'm in my prime. I recently discovered Burberry fresh glow fluid which is a fabulous primer/highlighter. I add a pump to my foundation or tinted moisturiser and it gives my skin a lovely natural looking radiance.

cariboo Thu 12-Jan-17 07:10:02

Chanel! I love their foundation. To me, it's worth every penny. I have a beautifully smooth and dewy complexion with Chanel's "Vitalumiere Aqua" ultra light skin perfecting makeup. Lovely stuff.

Eliza22 Thu 12-Jan-17 08:40:39

Thanks ladies! Will have a look online at those recommendations.

Deathraystare Fri 13-Jan-17 18:36:13

I tried laura Geller's balance and brighten some years back and the colour was well off wrong for me. Didn't like the 'gritty' feel either. However, recently bought the balance and glow and liked that. Also tried a bare minerals pot. Not the original but this one seems to be luminating so does not look powdery.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now