Talk

Advanced search

Any hair dressers able to explain this to me?

(14 Posts)
BlondeBumshell Mon 09-Jan-17 21:39:56

I want to be honey blonde but two hair dressers have said they can't dye my borwn hair blonde as I once had highlights (not for years). So they suggested more high lights confused I don't want highlights. I want an all over colour. I don't understand it. I have an appointment on Wednesday but unless I can figure out how to persuade them to just lighten and dye my hair all over I want to cancel it. sad

321zerobaby Mon 09-Jan-17 22:06:35

Tint won't lift tint, so it means bleaching your hair first, which is too much of a faff. Also means the honey blonde will fade quickly, as bleached hair is porous, will probably go too dark to start with then end up too light.

321zerobaby Mon 09-Jan-17 22:07:35

Is your brown hair your natural colour or dyed? Sorry assumed dyed.

BlondeBumshell Mon 09-Jan-17 22:10:13

My hair is lightened from previous auburn tints.

So what do hair dressers call bleach nowadays?

321zerobaby Mon 09-Jan-17 22:11:54

Lots of mums netters have tried that home stuff, colour be gone or something? Plenty of threads tell you how to do it. Stripping colour isn't something hairdressers I know want to do, as the results aren't always great.

BlondeBumshell Mon 09-Jan-17 22:12:20

Thanks zero baby. Howdo celebreties manage it?

BlondeBumshell Mon 09-Jan-17 22:15:04

My hair is a bit light brown than my usual colour atm. The brown i had put in ages ago has long been washed out

321zerobaby Mon 09-Jan-17 22:16:00

All day in the hairdressers till they get it right, frequent visits to top up, wigs perhaps, and £££!
You could gradually go lighter each time you have your roots done?

Lucked Mon 09-Jan-17 22:20:05

Not what you asked about but I am looking at balayage which sounds like it would work with your colouring. But yes it's a way of highlighting

youvegottobekidding Tue 10-Jan-17 09:40:28

About 6 years ago, I went from an auburn brown to a mid honey blonde colour by highlights. It was the old fashioned way of cap method though & my hair is thick & was just past my shoulders so it was lots of tugging! Because the cap method was used there was loads of highlights and so basically my hair looked blonde when finished. The colour was great & I had a conditioning protein pack put on under the dryer while the bleach highlights were developing (if I remember correctly) & all this done in my local salon for £45. Then a week later I went back & got them to take me back to brown. The blonde colour was fab, I just didn't suit it at all, I looked completely washed out!

Anyway, see if the salon your appointment with still does bleach cap highlights, that way you'll end up with lots & your hair should look an overall blonde.

youvegottobekidding Tue 10-Jan-17 09:42:13

Forgot to add that my original colour before I got the cap highlights wasn't my natural colour either, it had a colour on it.

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Tue 10-Jan-17 10:11:30

It's possible to go from Brown to blonde but not easy and there are numerous problems that may occur along the way.

Firstly, you have to do it in stages. This will be expensive and also mean you'll have to put up with odd coloured hair in the interim.
You would need an all over bleach. Dark brown will lift to ginger after one bleach application. The red tones in brown are always last to lift.
You may need up to 3 all over bleach applications to lift out your colour. This is potentially extremely damaging for your hair. It may result in breakage, an odd texture or uneven tones. This is why I suspect your hairdresser is hesitant.

After all that bleaching, you would then apply a honey toned dye to achieve your desired colour. All over blonde is high maintenance; you'll need root touch ups every few weeks and intensive conditioning treatments.

I would take the advice given. A full head of highlights will be far less damaging and still give the illusion of blonde.

burnishedsilver Tue 10-Jan-17 10:45:20

My sister had they same experience. She wanted blonde all over. Hairdressers insisted highlights were the way to go. She eventually put her foot down and got what she wanted. It was awful. Her hair went like straw after it and he roots were dreadful. It took a few years to get her long hair looking good again.

I'd be inclined to go with the hairdressers advice. Celebrities put a ridiculous amount of time and money into it and we don't see what their hair looks like when they get up in the morning. We only see it freshly blow dried.

BlondeBumshell Tue 10-Jan-17 12:45:03

I give up! Who knew it was so complicated. Hairdr3ssers are like car insurance companies :-p i keep getting the same negative reactions from all of them. I will say tomorrow i want to go light caramel brown. See where i get, leaving the word blonde unsaid.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now