Talk

Advanced search

Oldies wearing eyeliner

(17 Posts)
IslaLettuce Mon 09-Jan-17 20:38:50

I look older than I am and have lots of wrinkles/ laughter lines. I love wearing liquid eyeliner but find I have to stretch my eyelids to get it anywhere near perfect and even then it's not perfect. What's the solution? Pencil is ok I suppose but not very theatrical. Anyone here solved this problem?

MrsDc7 Mon 09-Jan-17 20:40:16

I'm in my 20's and have to stretch my eyelids!

MrsDc7 Mon 09-Jan-17 20:41:17

The solution is to get a cotton bud slightly damp and rub it in a long be over the eyeliner to even the line you have drawn on (if that makes sense)

MrsDc7 Mon 09-Jan-17 20:41:36

Rub it in a line that should say

NicknameUsed Mon 09-Jan-17 20:48:17

My eyelids are too wrinkly for eyeliner these days. I would look like Barbara Cartland, so I don't bother. No-one really notices as I wear glasses anyway.

Fiona2609 Mon 09-Jan-17 20:51:01

Try tightlining? Loads of info about this on YouTube. Very subtle but makes a dramatic difference.

IslaLettuce Mon 09-Jan-17 21:28:13

Actually mrsdc now you mention it I have also needed to stretch my eyes even when a teenager and I'm guessing the act of doing this has caused me to look 20 years older 😂.

IslaLettuce Mon 09-Jan-17 21:28:46

What's tightlining? Off to investigate now...

Bluntness100 Mon 09-Jan-17 21:33:56

I'm 47, I use a brown pencil liner on my upper lids. It's genuinely a lot more forgiving than liquid and I can't get on friendly terms with gel.

Ehrm, saying this gently, dramatic has its place,,,but just gently defining the eyes and using it to make lashes look thicker is better in my opinion than dramatic unless it's a really glam event..😄

Ps I'm strangely unwrinkly, I'm not kidding. God knows why, I do deserve them.

Sparkletastic Mon 09-Jan-17 21:38:08

No to tightlining. Yes to eyeliner brush and Bobbi Brown long wear gel eyeliner. Kinder and more blendable.

Youremywifenow Mon 09-Jan-17 22:16:46

Have you tried a solid one? Smashbox do a good one with a brilliant brush. They have a lovely palate of them as well.
I use Rimmel waterproof, the twist up tube one with a sharpener in the lid. You just need to keep it sharp.
I will never stop using black eyeliner. As my eyes wrinkle, I will just put more on.
Like Joan Collins.

KittenDixon Tue 10-Jan-17 00:22:29

I use a pencil then set it with eyeshadow. Currently using dr hauschka kohl pencil, then add lily lolo Matt black mineral eyeshadow powder or a Barry m black shimmery eyeshadow on top (gold/copper flecks in it).

I have a lily lolo double ended brush that it great for it- angled narrow eyeliner brush to add the shadow, sponges smudger to press it in/blur the edges a bit.

Sets really well, gives intense colour and doesn't highlight the crepey eyelids so much. Gives that sooty eyed "slept in eyeliner after being out all night" look I perfected in my teens and twenties.

JeNeSuisPasVotreMiel Tue 10-Jan-17 00:49:24

I use the Maybelline liner which is like a pointy felt tip pen. Easy to apply, no stretching required (and I'm way older than you OP) and it doesn't shift til you want it to.
I use the dark brown now as it's a less harsh look.

Costs around £7. Indispensable.

BusterGonad Tue 10-Jan-17 10:23:17

I don't understand this tightlining it's been around for years, isn't just a case of filling in the bits between lashes and liner and angling your head and eyes to do so??? confused

CaroleService Tue 10-Jan-17 10:44:55

The Clarins 3 dot pen might be an answer?

www.clarins.co.uk/3-dot-liner/C050204015.html

OyWithThePoodles Tue 10-Jan-17 22:16:21

Another vote here for Bobbi Brown gel eyeliner - it's the only one I can use without stretching my eyelid, but you do have to be patient and do it in tiny little stages. I'm early 50s, eyelids a bit crepey and also very greasy.

For a more smudgey casual look I also do the eyeliner pencil with powder eyeshadow brushed over with an angle brush. Currently liking Urban Decay and Clinique High Impact Kajal - both have great last on aging lids.

Deathraystare Fri 13-Jan-17 19:02:19

I can only use pencil. The liquid just runs in my eyes (ok, I am crap at doing it). No crepey but cannot see what I am doing. Make up glasses no good I kept banging the stuff into the glasses. Plus my eyes water like anything. Old age is not for sissies!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now