Talk

Advanced search

Jeans - do you go cheap and replace regularly or invest in an expensive pair?

(34 Posts)
user1475253854 Mon 09-Jan-17 11:44:49

Previously I've bought cheap jeans - Dorothy Perkins/Mango/Topshop and replaced when they've worn out after a year or so.

But I have also bought Hilfiger/Diesel so high street but not say £200 for 7 for all mankind or brands like that. One pair has huge crease marks in and the other has gone into holes so I don't know if it's worth it.

I'm after some black skinny jeans - should I go cheap and replace regularly or go expensive and hope they last?

Which option have you found to be more economical? I live in jeans so they will be worn a lot.

DaisyBD Mon 09-Jan-17 11:56:21

I bought my first expensive pair last year after always maintaining that designer jeans were a waste of money. I'm a complete convert. I've only had this pair (rag and bone, $200 in new york) since june so I can't say how well they'll wear but the fit is a-ma-zing and they feel really good quality. I love love love them.

On the back of that I bought a pair of 7 for all mankind in the sale in august and I love those too. It's very annoying as I don't think I'll be able to go back to cheap jeans again.

The outnet seems like a good place for a bargain but I'm not sure how other brands fit so I'd be reluctant to buy online without being able to try them on (and it's a ballache to return) as sizing seems so random. Having said that, i've come up the same size in both brands so I might be tempted to take a risk.

Not much help really, sorry!

PNGirl Mon 09-Jan-17 11:58:04

I wear jeans every single day and I've found the best price bracket to be Topshop/Gap (so say £40ish full price). Gap outlets and Levi's outlets are brilliant.

I wouldn't say my £80 full price Levi's are harder-wearing than high street but I do prefer them aesthetically if that makes sense.

All my jeans wear through between the thighs. For me it takes about 9 months for this to happen to blue denim Topshop, but my black Topshop Jamies are still going strong after about 2 years if that helps.

Bluntness100 Mon 09-Jan-17 11:58:45

I've got everything from cheap to designer and I have to say I prefer designer , it's not about how long they last for me, it's about the fit and how they look on.

Hohumming Mon 09-Jan-17 14:28:42

I think the quality varies hugely between the type of jeans themselves, not just between the brands.

I have TopShop Leigh and Jamie jeans. Jamie are a much thicker material, Leigh are thin and more like jeggings. I much prefer the Jamie jeans. That said, I find Warehouse jeans superior to TopShop jeans. I have 7 for all mankind and find the material quite different to my Jo Brand jeans. For me Jo Brand are better quality.

My all time favourites are Levi's because I think they are the only jeans that improve with age.

leedy Mon 09-Jan-17 14:37:59

In terms of durability, my J Brands have been by far the best - I have pairs I've had for 5 years that are still going strong. I think I've only worn a hole in a pair once and they were a favourite pair that I literally wore to bits.

Hohumming Mon 09-Jan-17 16:42:31

*😀I meant to type J Brand too not Jo Brand! I am putting it down to only getting four hours sleep last night and am struggling to get through today!

Ps I am a big fan of Jo Brand too though 😃😃😃

AFierceBadRabbit Mon 09-Jan-17 16:53:21

I buy topshop, mostly because for some reason their sizes always seem to fit me in a consistent way, so if i get a 10 in one style, the 10 in other styles tend to fit me too. It's just reliable.

I have bought more expensive jeans in the past, and whilst very nice, they never struck me as that much better than my topshop jeans - which are not super cheap but definitely cheaper than £100 jeans of course.

They have lasted years and that's good enough for me!

However, I wouldn't buy from anywhere else on the highstreet as always had bad experiences - too thin, go saggy after one wear, odd fit, etc.
Primark seem to make so ok jeans but they always make my bum look dreadful without fail.

I think in the end it's about finding the brand that suits you, it is difficult to recommend for this reason.

LaPampa Mon 09-Jan-17 18:13:16

I've had some success with Hush jeans. Also Monki for some black mid waist skinny ones via ASOS.

Sadik Mon 09-Jan-17 18:16:38

I don't wear jeans, but teenage dd lives in them - I've found that it really pays to buy her Levis (often second hand), as they last massively better than next/h&m etc. They also look much, much better IMO.

farfarawayfromhome Mon 09-Jan-17 18:26:55

Both! I have a pair of river island boyfriend jeans that are amazing and five years old...also some dark skinnies from a cheap New York place that have lasted over a decade!

Plus for all mankind, seven etc......

farfarawayfromhome Mon 09-Jan-17 18:27:20

Both! I have a pair of river island boyfriend jeans that are amazing and five years old...also some dark skinnies from a cheap New York place that have lasted over a decade!

Plus for all mankind, seven etc......

DancingHouse Mon 09-Jan-17 18:29:57

My best fitting jeans and the pair I've owned the longest and worn the most was a £12 pair from Matalan about 8 years ago. Better than my topshop, gap and Asos jeans. Can't compare to high price designer as I've never owned a pair.

AddToBasket Mon 09-Jan-17 18:34:18

Spend more. I have had J Brand (brilliant), Citizens of Humanity, V Beckham etc and lots of high st and you definitely get better wear from the more expensive ones.

Do you know about Nudie jeans? They are somewhere in the middle price and I really like mine. I have black High Kais.

WhooooAmI24601 Mon 09-Jan-17 18:35:35

I've got a few pairs of Diesel Skinzee jeans which were £140 a pair, so mid-price. Recently discovered Next 360 jeans which are infinitely better and a third of the price.

I've got a couple of NYDJ's and J Brands, J Brands are invincible in terms of wash and wear; they still look perfect but are going-out jeans not scruffy walking-the-dog jeans. NYDJ's are not worth the hype or price.

Newbrummie Mon 09-Jan-17 18:39:10

I had to get rid of my low slung 7 for all mankind jeans last year because they depressed me. A gut hanging over the top is not nice ... but 8 years I'd worn them and they still looked lovely, not worn at all unlike the body

mysteryfairy Mon 09-Jan-17 18:39:41

I'm surprised that you would equate top shop and Dorothy Perkins jeans. I think the quality of top shop jeans is far better. I have a mixture of top shop and designer jeans on the go and I've found little difference though do have some Paige jeans that have worn badly. I think black fades regardless of make but washing with a denim wash liquid can help to prolong their life a little.

Judydreamsofhorses Mon 09-Jan-17 18:43:15

I like All Saints jeans, but tend to only buy a pair when they have a promotion. I wear black skinny jeans to work quite often, and found cheaper pairs faded and looked scruffy quickly. For contrast, a pair of jeans in Topshop is around £40, the All Saints are £98, but 30% off like on Black Friday means they are more reasonable. On the other hand, I have Topshop mom jeans which I only really wear in summer but are going strong three years in.

cheminotte Mon 09-Jan-17 18:45:12

Currently wearing new pair of Next jeans (£22). No more comfortable than my pair from Jigsaw (£70) which now have a hole in them. Not washed them yet though.

starsinyourpies Mon 09-Jan-17 19:04:10

I buy more expensive jeans for the look and feel, J Brand etc but sometimes get lucky on TK Maxx.

This shop is jean heaven if you are near London and feeling rich...

http://www.trilogystores.co.uk

leedy Mon 09-Jan-17 19:04:43

I sometimes find new with tags J Brand on Ebay. And yes, Trilogy is AMAZING (if expensive).

EmmaWoodlouse Mon 09-Jan-17 19:18:47

At the moment I've got one pair of cheap (Primark, I think they're called something like relaxed - basically a straight but not very wide shape) and one more expensive by my standards (Mantaray "Padstow" cut - also a narrow straight shape). They are almost identical, both a very good shape for me, and if I'd found the Primark ones first I would probably have ended up buying three pairs. I don't think I've ever paid more than about £40 for jeans in my life, mainly because I can't.

Madbengalmum Mon 09-Jan-17 19:22:23

Expensive ones definitely last longer. I can sometimes buy in a sale and pay £70 ish for a pair of £250+ jeans. Frame are my current faves.

Maudlinmaud Mon 09-Jan-17 19:22:31

J Brand J Brand J Brand! You will not be sorry.

clumsyduck Mon 09-Jan-17 19:24:21

Ahhh I came on to advise and see your cheap jeans are my expensive ones 😂😂
Primark for wear a lot and replace more
Top shop / river island for a bit less elastic looking and last longer

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now