Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

I have no style (literally none!)... please help style an outdoorsy, academic type mummy

(12 Posts)
SnipeBird Sun 08-Jan-17 17:01:13

Sorry novice here and first time I've ever even ventured in here...
So overall I am quite comfortable with me, I had 4 stone to lose and shifted almost 3. I'm running regularly and though I'm broad I'm starting to get some muscle definition. I'm a size 14 and 5ft10. I am a broad build across shoulders and ribs, hour glass type figure (i.e. have a waist and definitely have hips!!) but certainly not twiggy (think more curvy oak tree trunk wink ).
I'm 34 and look about 40 though. I have long blonde hair, fair skin and blue eyes (not sure if this info is required!)
I've been very lucky to never have needed to touch eyebrows etc, skin always been ok, strong nails etc, so I've never had any form of beauty regime or ever really had a strong sense of a style.
Losing the weight, having my hair cut yesterday, I'm starting to feel like I could and should take a bit more care but not sure where to start. I know as a 'look' I love long flowing skirts, colour, and I suppose country style clothes - though I own none of these! I've seen alot of lovely things in white stuff but never brought a thing there! I am an academic and dress very dowdy I think. We also spend most of time outside and on a farm so mostly I wear jeans, combats etc. Either work or home you are most like to me in these and a baggy jumper or top!
I've been looking on ebay to try and find some different outfits to experiment wearing but just feel a bit of fraud... Any ideas or suggestions of where to go next?

Newbrummie Sun 08-Jan-17 17:03:31

Sounds like you dress to suit your lifestyle. Nothing wrong with that

228agreenend Sun 08-Jan-17 17:06:55

Have you seen the 'how not to be frump' thread currently in AIBU. You may get some good ideas there.

Not saying you are frumpy, by the way.

Okay to wear baggy jumper at home (currently got one on!).

Why don't you bite the bullet and order stuff from White Stuff. If you don't like it, you can always return it.

GatherlyGal Sun 08-Jan-17 17:10:12

To go for a new look how about trying a personal shopper in a department store? They can be great for giving you good ideas and suggesting outfits you wouldn't have thought of. Might be nice to have a couple of nicer outfits even if a lot of the time you need to be practical and in jeans.

Very well done on the weight loss.

Cyclingandriding2016 Sun 08-Jan-17 17:25:29

I don't live on a farm but live in the countryside and spend a lot of time cycling, horse riding and walking so outdoors a lot.

My country essentials are:

- nice 'country boots', i.e. Leather boots which I can wear for walking and riding (although not walking through thick mud as I try to keep them looking smart). I have these: www.valverdebotas.com/es/bota-urbana/207-bota-kate.html

- nice tweed gilet like this www.fifecountry.co.uk/womens/tweeds/caledonia-waistcoat-7944

I'll wear the gilet and boots with skinny jeans and maybe a shirt or a slim fit knittted jumper. This is what I think of as my 'smart' country look.

Obviously I have welly boots and waterproofs that come out if the weather is awful but I have nice welly boots (Aigle) and a decent waterproof coat so hopefully still look ok. The smart country look is saved for ok weather!

In warmer weather I'll still wear jeans and a shirt but I'll replace the boots for Converse or sandals for day to day wear. On the few days of British summertime when it's too hot for jeans I have some denim shorts and a couple of dresses.

Most other times I'll be wearing my horse riding or cycling kit.

I have to be smart for work, so I don't dress in a country style at all for work - it's smart dresses, tailored jackets and high heels for work which is quite a change from my weekend look.

Veterinari Sun 08-Jan-17 17:37:34

I think you're me Snipe grin

Basically similar lifestyle and style.

My go-to easy smart is calf boots, skinny/slim-fit jeans and a fine knit jumper with a gilet and scarf, or jeans and boots with a T shirt and blazer (I wear soft jersey blazers or tweed-style blazers, nothing too formal). This immediately makes me look 'put-together' with the right jewellery. Also a fan of dresses (jumper dresses, shirt dresses and wrap dresses) with leggings/tight and boots - again simple and comfy but looks smart with almost no effort.

I've not checked out the frump thread and suspect most of these suggestions would be scoffed at there but they work for me and my pre and post work dog walks!

macymacy Sun 08-Jan-17 19:41:47

Have a look on www.pinterest.com and search for country style clothes or similar, loads of ideas will pop up to help.

LindyHemming Sun 08-Jan-17 19:46:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Veterinari Sun 08-Jan-17 20:14:23

Ooh! Euphemia that Kettlewell website is fab!

allofthestress Mon 09-Jan-17 17:42:06

Can I ask where you get your wrap dresses from? I've only been able to find the mock-style ones recently and they're not quite right

LaPampa Mon 09-Jan-17 18:21:49

I think white stuff things can look quite frumpy if not put with good things.

I would put money into a good coat, good boots and try getting a manicure (even just a file, shape and clear polish). I was surprised what a difference in feeling put together I feel when I have my nails shaped regularly (doesn't have to be that expensive if you don't book a manicure - just a file and polish)

BusterGonad Tue 10-Jan-17 11:22:47

I too think Whitestuff is not the way to go. You're 34 not 44! Why don't you get yourself a session with a personal shopper in a department store that has brands like Warehouse, Oasis, Topshop etc. You are still young, have lost weight and are feeling good so make the most of it. All because you live/work on a farm it didn't mean you always have to wear country wear. When I lived in a farming village I wore chunky smart boots with jumper dresses and skinny jeans with a fitted top and chunky knitwear. I also wear a lot of dresses and dress them down with nice knitwear. Obviously for working you will need your outdoorsy gear.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now