Talk

Advanced search

Cold sore

(10 Posts)
RealHouswifeofBury Sat 07-Jan-17 16:53:43

What products do you use to get rid of cold sores?
Had mine about 5 days now and have really dry sore lips. Been using a chap stick but it's not helping.

Bex107 Sat 07-Jan-17 16:57:32

I'm a fan of the Compeed cold sore patches; although I'm not convinced they get rid of it any quicker, they definitely hide it and stop it getting super sore. Also Blistex or Lanolips both help on very sore dry lips. However, I've heard great things about the Boots electronic cold sore machine - I'm yet to try it but at £40 I'm thinking it might be worth a go (am currently reading Sali Hughes' Pretty Iconic and she swears by it).

ThirstyNell Sat 07-Jan-17 16:57:54

Zovirex, but only prevents them if applied at the tingle stage. At the five day stage, I'd let it crust and scab, so that it can heal. I wouldn't moisten the actual cold sore with chap stick.

Itsalldramarama Sat 07-Jan-17 18:22:56

I swear by l-lysine tablets from holland and Barrett , I uses to suffer so badly with them , the last one a few years ago practically took over my face !! Take one a day and if you feel that familiar ttingle take 3 morning and night and it just stops in its tracks smile they also do a lip salve with it in that's great for chapped and dry lips

user1471545174 Sat 07-Jan-17 19:30:37

Cymex.

iMatter Sat 07-Jan-17 19:39:00

I have an ultra violet light thing from Lloyds pharmacy. It works well, esp along with lysine etc.

I don't think you can beat cold sores but you can make them less bad (iykwim)

Elizabethtailored Sat 07-Jan-17 19:51:41

I agree with L lysine. Have taken one a day for about ten years now and has honestly changed my life.

Liiinoo Sat 07-Jan-17 20:04:56

I know Forever Living aren't popular on here but thier Aloe lip balm is a miracle worker on cold sores. Just apply it when you feel that tingle. We haven't had to buy Zovirax since we started buying the lip balm about 16 years ago. It is also ace on little patches of excema, burns, heat rash, virtually any skin problem. I buy boxes of 12 from Amazon and me, DH and grown up DCs use it all the time.

SixtiesChildOfWildBlueSkies Sat 07-Jan-17 20:36:33

Also agree with L Lysine. I started taking it after an especially bad attack of 6 coldsores - both inside and on top of my lip!
That was over 30 years ago and haven't had one since. Brilliant.

I take the 1000 mg perday tablet.

Don't start taking it until the present coldsore has gone though.

SimplyNigella Sat 07-Jan-17 22:48:26

Boots own label cold sore lotion- not the cream, the clear stuff in a bottle. It works miracles for me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now