Talk

Advanced search

Ian Stuart wedding dress

(24 Posts)
mrsmadiba Sat 07-Jan-17 10:44:26

(cross posted to AIBU and weddings)

Hi all, I know this is a long shot but I'm desperate to get hold of this Ian Stuart Basilica wedding dress, and was wondering if anyone got married in it and might be willing to sell? I will pay good money for it.

I'm an idiot and left buying my dress to the last minute as I was hoping to lose weight (haven't...). Probably need a 14 or above, though might squeeze into a 12. Alternatively, does anyone know which wedding dressmakers might be able to sort me out when it's 4 months away?

Thanks so much for your help.

Sarah x

Bluntness100 Sat 07-Jan-17 10:46:26

I can't help but I would say that is an absolutely beautiful dress.

Mistoffelees Sat 07-Jan-17 10:47:42

Maybe ring around stockists and ask if they will sell you their sample?

MightyMunki Sat 07-Jan-17 11:22:26

Have you tried it on in person? I liked a similar style for my dress, however found it totally swamped me when I actually tried it on. Also wedding dress sizing differs to normal sizing in my experience, so if you have a 14 bust but 12 bottom, they will tailor a 14 to fit.

I got my dress two weeks before the big day (very last minute). There are loads of dress boutiques who would be able to help with your time frame. Above all else my advice would be don't buy online without trying, go and get fitted you have plenty of time left.

mrsmadiba Sat 07-Jan-17 11:39:33

Thanks all. I have rung around but it's from 2012 so nobody has it! Mightymunki I haven't tried on no, I am quite large though (5'8 with hips and shoulders) so can't even imagine being swamped by a dress! I def would prefer to size up and get it fitted. I am thinking that if the Mumsnet thing doesn't work I will prob try and find a dressmaker to do something similar - I'm in London so at least there are quite a few here though I don't know who's good.

MightyMunki Sat 07-Jan-17 12:12:44

I'm 5'7 and a 14, the dress I say swamped me was by the same designer- very similar in design to this but different bodice, the skirt was heavy as there were so many layers, beautiful but too heavy for me.

It was a wedding shop in west London- I think it was the hounslow area where I tried it on, I'll find details of it for you, the staff were lovely and although shocked I was shopping with only two weeks to go they were definitely able to get a dress in that time.

AgathaMystery Sat 07-Jan-17 12:16:01

There is a pre lived wedding dress shop near me - I can pop in today & look.

MightyMunki Sat 07-Jan-17 12:18:22

It was this one here:

alwaysandforeverbridal.co.uk/index.html

I was after sleeved dresses, and even if you like a sleeveless design, they can get the fabric from the designer and have it altered for you.

MrsGsnow18 Sat 07-Jan-17 12:19:54

I got my dress in a sample sale shop, it was from 2010. Have you searched for shops like this near you or oxfam bridal?
Getting one made whilst it may be expensive would be a good option I think as a good dressmaker will be able to make a dress perfect for your shape and give advice etc.

mrsmadiba Sat 07-Jan-17 13:55:26

Guys thank you so much for the advice and help, unbelievably somebody on AIBU has managed to find me the dress online! Mumsnet is amazing sometimes!

MightyMunki Sat 07-Jan-17 14:20:32

Yay! That's great news! Hope it's everything you want and more flowers

AgathaMystery Sat 07-Jan-17 14:32:54

Ahh that's amazing. So pleased for you xx

mrsmadiba Tue 17-Jan-17 20:28:08

Hello all! I am back from my mum's house with some pics of the dress!
It's in perfect condition and I'm thrilled with it. It will need alterations on the top as my chest is a bit small, but would've needed some whatever dress I got anyway. I might wait a couple of months to get them done as I'd like to lose a stone really, but it's so amazing to have a dress that I feel beautiful in regardless.
Here are a few photos - I know some family and friends go on Mumsnet so if you think you recognise me then please keep schtum about it til after the wedding!
Thanks again Mumsnet (and Flowery obv) - I love this dress. I'll come back a bit later anyway xx

rollonthesummer Tue 17-Jan-17 20:29:13

That looks stunning!

mrsmadiba Tue 17-Jan-17 20:29:18

Oops sorry meant to post this on the AIBU thread where ppl have placemarked! Sorry, ignore this...

Twodogsandahooch Tue 17-Jan-17 20:31:01

Looks fabulous. Such a happy ending

therealpippi Tue 17-Jan-17 20:32:42

Absolutely fabulous! You look great and the dress is beautiful.

Satanshandmaiden Tue 17-Jan-17 20:33:50

You look amazing, even without the alterations! What a beautiful dress!

PointlessUsername Tue 17-Jan-17 20:34:30

Looks great.

SandysMam Tue 17-Jan-17 20:38:15

Beautiful!! What a result! So happy for you, thanks for updating!!

Shenanagins Tue 17-Jan-17 20:57:04

Utterly stunning!

BusterGonad Wed 18-Jan-17 06:39:02

It's beautiful. Your dark hair really goes with the style of the dress too. Does that sound weird? Oh well. 😁

MightyMunki Wed 18-Jan-17 14:22:15

So pleased for you! Stunning! Thanks for posting here too, nice to see a happy ending!

Howaboutthisone Wed 18-Jan-17 15:45:00

Stunning! Thanks for coming back to show us!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now