Talk

Advanced search

Ladies help me!! I have a do coming up and my dress is too dressy, have no idea what to wear!

(22 Posts)
Flumpybumpy Wed 21-Feb-07 18:37:07

Work do on Saturday, have got a lovely dress, black strapless with flary skirt and netting, got a pretty broach to put on it, sorted!!! Then my boss calles (I am on Mat leave) and asks me if I need directions etc... and to say that it is a smart casual evening. Have now asked all the other women and they are all going in tops, trousers, skirts etc... not a bloody cocktail dress like me!!

Now I only have two days to find something. I am a size 16 and none of my other 'nice' clothes fit me anymore as I have lost weight after having DS 5mths ago and nothing fits.

Any ideas ladies?? I am a 5ft shortie and have a enormous belly and arse!! oh and no tits!

FB x

Flumpybumpy Wed 21-Feb-07 18:48:12

bump

fashionsista Wed 21-Feb-07 21:18:00

Poor you. I would go for a funky smock type dress. Dorothy Perkins have a really nice range in. No tits is good for a smock and it will hide your tum and bum too. if you are a shortie you are much better off in a dress

pesme Wed 21-Feb-07 21:18:57

could you wear a nice top over the nice dress?

nearlyfourbob Wed 21-Feb-07 21:20:01

Wear the dress and deny all knowledge of the phone calls!

pesme Wed 21-Feb-07 21:21:35

get a nice cardy and then if you feel brave you can take it off

fashionsista Wed 21-Feb-07 21:30:51

But if you wear the dress you run the risk of feeling overdressed.

Flumpybumpy Thu 22-Feb-07 09:34:45

I am going into town tomorrow for a last ditch attempt to find something, I hate shopping when I have a deadline because I end up buying something I end wearing once and wasting money!!

I like the smock dress idea, but if you are bigger don't they just look like maternity dresses??

FB x

DaveOHara Thu 22-Feb-07 09:39:46

I bough tand am wearing a lovely sticky fingers dress at the minute, will see if I can find link

Pavlovthecat Thu 22-Feb-07 09:41:08

wear the dress and show the others what an evening out is really about...bet you will look stunning...!

Davenid Thu 22-Feb-07 09:47:53

definitely wear the dress

low key make up, no jewellery, stick a little cardi over the top, ballet shoes, there you go instant lily allen

fishie Thu 22-Feb-07 10:00:02

i did see in easy living that you could dress down by wearing posh dress with a pair of leggings. that would look really good with cardie etc. what shoes have you got?

fashionsista Thu 22-Feb-07 10:11:57

Smock dresses can be difficult if you are busty. They act as a shelf and the dress just drapes down from the bust, but if you are small up top they will suit you fine.

dueat44 Thu 22-Feb-07 12:04:43

Just say you couldn't resist the urge to dress up after months covered in babysick and living in trackie bottoms!

fishie Thu 22-Feb-07 12:37:09

fashionsista i am busty but find that smocks are fine so long as they have a bodice, sort of empire line. the ones that pleat from the neck are like wearing a duvet cover.

what have you decided flumpybumpy or are you at the shops?

Flumpybumpy Thu 22-Feb-07 13:41:16

I like the idea of dressing up, I was really looking forward to getting my hair done and being a bit glam. Even DH said 'I hope you are going to wear that black dress, you look really sexy in that'.

It's only after finding out that everyone else is going casual that I feel a bit silly.

Liking the leggings with dress idea and maybe a short cardi that doesn't swamp me. Haven't got any ballet pumps but thats easily solved.

Thanks for the ideas guys, you have definitely given em something to think about.

Will let you know what I buy.

FB x

FiachraFrogakaDave Thu 22-Feb-07 13:45:08

It's quite easy to 'dress down' an outfit by having really informal hair and make up (think Kate Winslett with her hair down)

anniemac Fri 23-Feb-07 10:46:23

Message withdrawn

Flumpybumpy Fri 23-Feb-07 21:21:22

Did my shopping and this is what I bought dress Luckily Mum was shopping with me and ended up paying (yippee) also bought sone high brown leather wedge shoes and a long beaded necklace.

Felt really good in it and it skimmed ny belly and bum so it didn't look huge and even made my boobs look good!!

Thank you all for your help, I wouldn't have looked at dress like that before, so cheers ladies!!!

FB x

Flumpybumpy Sat 24-Feb-07 10:07:10

Budababe Sat 24-Feb-07 10:18:21

ooh - NICE!

Memo to self - must lose weight!

Flumpybumpy Sat 24-Feb-07 14:06:26

Thanks, I like the fact that it skims my bum and tum and doesn't make my boobs look like pancakes

FB x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now