Talk

Advanced search

Winter wedding guest

(38 Posts)
justavirginwhocantdrive Fri 06-Jan-17 09:59:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mamado Fri 06-Jan-17 14:43:54

watching with interest as i have the same query! And is black ok?

mrsmortis Fri 06-Jan-17 15:40:03

What's your budget? That could make a huge difference to what people suggest.

mamado - I think that black is OK if the bride is OK with it. I wouldn't wear black to a wedding without asking first. I got married in Jan and a couple of girls asked me if it was OK to wear black. I didn't mind but I did warn them that my bridesmaids were going to be in black too.

foreverafter Fri 06-Jan-17 16:45:50

foreverafter Fri 06-Jan-17 16:46:14

mrsmortis Fri 06-Jan-17 17:16:32

Not knowing what size you are. How about this:

www.johnlewis.com/karen-millen-feminine-velvet-dress-brown-multi/p3094048

Or this is petite:
www.johnlewis.com/jacques-vert-petite-floral-jacquard-dress-multi/p3106213

summerblonde Fri 06-Jan-17 17:55:37

TryLittle Mistress, ASOS also has a good petite range.

VerbenaGirl Fri 06-Jan-17 18:13:53

Love the suggestions made by Mrs and also think black is fine for a winter wedding (maybe with brightly coloured scarf, shawl or accessories).

meditrina Fri 06-Jan-17 18:16:20

I'd always avoid black (unless you also go to a lot of funerals - you do reach an age when good daytime blacks is sadly a useful thing).

Are you near a city where you can have a whirl round department stores and check lots of concessions? A bright coat/shift dress combination could be great for winter.

cariboo Fri 06-Jan-17 20:17:58

Black is not suitable for a wedding, although ok for a wedding reception or dinner. With so many colours to choose from, why wear black anyway? Have you tried Monsoon? John Lewis?

capricorn12 Fri 06-Jan-17 20:24:17

I've just had this as BIL got married on NYE and my MIL and me were both wondering about the etiquette of wearing black as we both had unworn black dresses that would have sufficed. In the end I found a nice aubergine coloured dress (fitted knee length with fluted sleeves) and MIL borrowed a silvery grey lace one from a friend and wore it with a cropped red jacket.
If your going to buy in the sales look for something classic or plain so that it won't scream 'last years frock' by the time you get to wear it!

mamado Fri 06-Jan-17 21:21:13

Thanks for all the tips - probably best to avoid black I guess. Better get shopping! wink

summerblonde Fri 06-Jan-17 21:33:19

Try House of Fraser if you are near one. They have lots of different concessions.

blowmybarnacles Fri 06-Jan-17 23:19:06

Good excuse for velvet, fur, brocade, ornate, rich jewelled colours - happy shopping!

CakesRUs Sat 07-Jan-17 01:08:49

Oooh, I love the velvet dress Mrs suggested.

nannybeach Sat 07-Jan-17 10:38:16

Buy something you will wear again unless you are rich, or hire, I bought a trouser suit for a december wedding plus cream boots, still nearly froze in the church, never wore the outfit again, next time I will hire.

nannybeach Sat 07-Jan-17 10:38:56

Considered bad taste to wear black or white to any wedding

summerblonde Sat 07-Jan-17 11:02:47

I went to a winter wedding and the bride was totally fine with black. A few people did, they looked lovely.

FurbysMakeSexNoises Sat 07-Jan-17 11:24:21

But given that we don't live in Pride and Prejudice it doesn't matter that much as long as obviously a smart party type effort!

Pigeonpair1 Sat 07-Jan-17 12:56:17

Take a look at Lux Fixe - some lovely dresses on there in lovely rich autumnal colours.

TSSDNCOP Sat 07-Jan-17 13:59:33

I think that if you have a winter wedding you really are going to have to expect people to turn up in dark colours including black TBH. I have worn black to a wedding but maybe with a shot of colour - in my case my hat was bright pink.

mambono5 Sat 07-Jan-17 14:18:23

black is completely fine, it depends on the style of the outfit and the accessories. Obviously, white/cream/ivory is a big no no unless expressly told otherwise.

Black is rarely an actual requirement for funeral, you are expected to wear something respectful. Just because it's black doesn't mean a dress is suitable for a funeral (but could be completely appropriate for wedding).
A smart and conservative dark grey or navy is much more appropriate for a funeral than a black party dress.

I mean this dress is black, but you wouldn't wear that to a funeral, would you:

www.chichiclothing.com/products/Chi-Chi-Tash-Dress.html

cheapskatemum Sat 07-Jan-17 14:20:47

My wedding anniversary is in December and I got married in crimson. It was a fitted, knee length suit with a massive, statement collar and plunging neckline. I remember seeing it in Harvey Nicholls and just knowing it was the right outfit. My DM also got married in December and her dress was more traditional, being ivory coloured and maxi length. Interestingly, both our wedding dresses had an embossed textured fabric and her statement neckline was ermine-trimmed. She had passed away before my wedding and the similarities didn't occur to me until recently.

purplecabbage Sat 07-Jan-17 16:53:49

A winter wedding - how lovely! I secretly would have wished for a winter wedding myself, but was persuaded out of it by DH (then DF) who couldn' t get onboard with the idea.

You can go to town with textures and contrasts. How about a knee length satiny type classic dress in a winter palette according to your colouring eg very pale blue. With a fabulous chic cropped fur jacket or cape/shrug. Subtle diamante/crystal touches eg clutch bag or hair accessory or brooch/pin.

Knee high boots if a longish ceremony in Church?

Lovely pair of gloves!

jessplussomeonenew Sun 08-Jan-17 08:51:34

Lindy bop has some nice knee length party/bridesmaid dresses with full skirts that are worth a look. Would something like this work? www.lindybop.co.uk/dresses-c1/prom-formal-c18/frankie-jean-exquisitely-chic-black-flock-cocktail-dress-p1340

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now