Talk

Advanced search

Help! Black tie - this dress?

(21 Posts)
MarzipanPiggy Thu 05-Jan-17 22:44:00

I have a black tie dinner next week (hadn't realised it was black tie) and nothing to wear, or at least nothing that fits post DC.

I need something with sleeves and flattering around the tummy area. I'm a fairly unglamorous size 14 blonde. Will have about 15 seconds to get ready upon arrival so needs to be easy to put on and look good with loose, unstyled hair.

This has caught my eye but is a bit pricey and I'm not sure it would work for black tie:

https://m.johnlewis.com/phase-eight-limited-edition-dress-eleven-black-pink/p/2483558

ChanandlerBongsNeighbour Thu 05-Jan-17 22:53:12

I think it's gorgeous!

ChanandlerBongsNeighbour Thu 05-Jan-17 22:54:27

How 'black tie' is the event? Full on ball gowns or evening wear? If the latter then I think this dress would fit the bill!

MarzipanPiggy Thu 05-Jan-17 22:58:17

I'm not sure. It's drinks and dinner at my old uni, I expect I can get away with cocktail length.

Realised I have a Ralph Lauren green dress which will fit (with Spanx), will try to link to an old pic as it's no longer sold. Not as nice but would save me spending £££

http://eveningdressesideas.co.uk/lauren-ralph-lauren-vallari-dress-racing-green/

Iambubbles86 Thu 05-Jan-17 22:59:34

Wow that is stunning, agree that you need to find out what level of black tie the party is.

MarzipanPiggy Thu 05-Jan-17 23:02:50

In the good old days when we were actually at uni we used to get properly dressed up for these dinners (ball gown type outfits) but I'm not sure I would now... can't picture myself in an evening gown somehow.

No one I can ask, the only friends who are going are male and wouldn't have a clue.

HeartsTrumpDiamonds Thu 05-Jan-17 23:07:29

Both dresses are lovely but they are both cocktail dresses and not black tie.

You just need to work out how bad you would feel if you were the only one underdressed. Personally I wouldn't give a fuck and would brazen it out amongst all the floor length ball gowns if it came down to it!

MarzipanPiggy Thu 05-Jan-17 23:18:56

I like the sound of that. I don't really care actually. It seems in any case from browsing that there are very few evening gowns that are flattering to those with a bigger than ideal stomach, especially if you also want sleeves.

MarzipanPiggy Thu 05-Jan-17 23:21:33

There's a phase eight near here so might go and have a look tomorrow..

Better look a bit underdressed but good(ish), if you see what I mean.

cariboo Thu 05-Jan-17 23:24:33

It's a beautiful dress and would certainly work for black tie. Black tie can be either short or long, which is good because you'd be more likely to have chance to wear it again.

Spam88 Thu 05-Jan-17 23:26:00

Cocktail dresses are fine for black tie, it's white tie where you need to go full length. Both dresses are beautiful and definitely suitable smile

BackforGood Thu 05-Jan-17 23:31:28

I don't think the Phase8 one is any more 'black tie' or 'stunning' than the Ralph Lauren one you already have (which, indeed, I slightly prefer), so, I'd save myself 200quidd and treat myself to something else I fancy - it's just one night.

madgingermunchkin Thu 05-Jan-17 23:34:59

True black tie is full length.

Both dresses are stunning, but I would say go with the first.

Crumbs1 Thu 05-Jan-17 23:36:43

It's perfect. Looks lovely.

MarzipanPiggy Fri 06-Jan-17 09:20:29

Thanks all. I'm going to see if they have it in the shop today and if it's worth spending the money!

MollyHuaCha Fri 06-Jan-17 09:27:27

Beautiful dress

MarzipanPiggy Sat 14-Jan-17 00:02:50

Just posting to say I wore my 'old' green dress pictured above to the black tie dinner and it was just right. It was 80% men but all the other ladies were in simple cocktail style dresses so something long would have looked out of place. Strange that black tie doesn't come with clearer guidance for ladies hmm

Thanks for all your advice. The Phase Eight dress for as lovely but wouldn't have travelled well, crinkly material..

Buttwing Sat 14-Jan-17 09:00:20

Cocktails dresses are fine for black tie and I would wear the one you feel best in. The black tie dress code has relaxed so much now you actually don't see that many long dresses except on some older women. I go to quite a few and always wear cocktail I've seen a few very dressy jumpsuits so I don't think you will feel under dressed in cocktail length.

Buttwing Sat 14-Jan-17 09:01:18

Sorry didn't see your post!! Hope you had fun!!

mumsiedarlingrevolta Sat 14-Jan-17 09:08:14

I definitely think you can wear a cocktail dress to a black tie dinner - the last few black tie things I have been to I have worn cocktail and been very appropriate. I think unless it is a very smart, extravagant ball or something like that that you will find a huge mixture of long and short-wear what you feel good in.
I never want to be the most dressed up person at an event-accessorise with the aim of being classic and elegant and you will not go wrong.

mumsiedarlingrevolta Sat 14-Jan-17 09:09:28

haha buttwing neither did I....

at least we were right wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now