Talk

Advanced search

Please could a complete fashion novice get advice on how to style a dress?

(35 Posts)
flippinada Thu 05-Jan-17 19:53:22

I'm going to a very special do next week, the first time in years and years - my best friend is having a book published and I'm going to the launch . In a burst of optimism and confidence I got a lovely dress but now I'm wondering what on earth to wear with it. I literally can't remember the last time I got dressed up, it's been that long.

You all seem to know what's what so any advice gratefully received - please be kind, I'm not hugely confident about this sort of thing.

Anyway, this is the dress:

www.bravissimo.com/pepperberry/products/dresses/day-dresses/florence-rib-dress/black/pd611blk/?level=2&page=2

For reference, I'm an hourglassy size 14, 5ft 2 inches, if that helps.

Ok, fire away. And thanks in advance!

RemusLupinsChristmasMovie Thu 05-Jan-17 20:00:55

I've just bought v similar, without the ribbing. Am 5,2 and a curvy/busty/hourglassy size 12.

Is it a daytime or evening event?

flippinada Thu 05-Jan-17 20:16:04

You sound a similar shape to me Remus. It's an evening event - launch party followed by a meal.

Oblomov16 Thu 05-Jan-17 20:20:08

What shoes were you planning on wearing?
Let's start there.
Then it needs a clutch/ earrings/bracelet.
It needs something 'big' to set it off, especially for such an event, because it's a very nice dress indeed, but quite plain.

Give us a clue what bits you have already...... photos?

flippinada Thu 05-Jan-17 20:32:53

Thanks Oblomov smile

I need to get some shoes, I was thinking of maybe something along these lines: www.clarks.co.uk/p/26118842

For jewellery, I prefer silver to gold. I have a plain silver choker style necklace, maybe paired with silver earrings?

I don't want to upstage my friend but I do want to look put together and like I've made an effort. Plus, I'm quite excited about having the opportunity to get dressed up!

Oblomov16 Thu 05-Jan-17 20:45:11

Show us your jewellery.
Shoes maybe a bit too plain?

BreakfastAtSquiffanys Thu 05-Jan-17 20:46:34

That's a really lovely dress.
Shame that I'm not curvy enough for it. It wouldn't look right without decent boobs

AliciaMayEmory Thu 05-Jan-17 20:47:43

I think with that neckline you will need a longer necklace or beads. I don't think a choker would go. It's a lovely dress, though and the shoes you linked would work well. Have a wonderful time!

Oblomov16 Thu 05-Jan-17 20:48:09

I have a silver 'set'. Do you have similar? Or a brightly coloured necklace or something, that you were planning on wearing?
A cardi? Or a wrap? Or a handbag?

flippinada Thu 05-Jan-17 20:56:26

Noted about the shoes!

I've attached a picture of the choker - I also quite like the look of this necklace:

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172445602691?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Earrings would just be plain silver hoops, I think.

flippinada Thu 05-Jan-17 21:00:22

Oh those are lovely Oblomov! I prefer to keep my toes covered up though, my feet are a bit hobbity to be quite frank.

Thanks everyone smile

WipsGlitter Thu 05-Jan-17 21:01:24

That eBay necklace is fab!

seefeld Thu 05-Jan-17 21:02:23

Lovely dress! Looks like it'll really suit your figure. I think the shoes you've picked will work perfectly and I agree you ought to go for a longer necklace than a choker.

What bags do you have to choose from? I think a clutch might be too dressy for the launch, depending on the venue and genre of book being published.

flippinada Thu 05-Jan-17 21:13:06

I think you're all right about the necklace, I'm going to go for the ebay one.

I only actually have one handbag...it's a plain black leather one though.

The venue is a bookshop, albeit a rather posh one. Well, it looks posh to me!

seefeld Thu 05-Jan-17 21:30:42

Your outfit is coming together beautifully! Have a great night at the launch

HoHumming Thu 05-Jan-17 21:30:59

Your dress is really lovely as is your necklace.

For me the shoes are too solid looking but they aren't awful.

FinnegansCake Thu 05-Jan-17 21:46:48

I think you need to add a bit of colour to your outfit, maybe with a bright clutch bag. The dress is lovely, but black shoes and a black bag are going to look a bit drab.

blowmybarnacles Thu 05-Jan-17 21:59:46

What is your hair like? Could you go for an up do with some amazing earrings and bracelet?
I agree black dress and bag might be too....funeral, you need an injection of colour.

flippinada Thu 05-Jan-17 22:02:09

This is all really helpful, thanks everyone.

For those suggesting colour, would a shrug or scarf work as well as a clutch or would that be a bit much?

RemusLupinsChristmasMovie Thu 05-Jan-17 22:12:03

The shoes are fine, maybe a bit worky. Personally I'd go for heeled ankle boots, as I find them easier to wear than 'dressy' heels. Opaques and a biker jacket, or some sort of cropped jacket. I'm thinking embellished velvet or fake Chanel-esque or some sort. Mango or Zara type, rather than Coast, if that makes sense?

Love this but expensive.

RemusLupinsChristmasMovie Thu 05-Jan-17 22:14:12

(Whispers) I don't like the Ebay necklace. Much prefer your choker.

neveradullmoment99 Thu 05-Jan-17 22:15:34

I really like the shoes and the dress smile
What about trying the patent ones if you think that the shoes are a bit plain?

Bluntness100 Thu 05-Jan-17 22:22:46

I also think the shoes are too worky, too solid for an evening do. I'd wear them to work. I think uou need something daintier, maybe in suede. Personally I'd also wear strappy sandals, other wise I'd go for a less solid suede court.

The dress is lovely, all you need are the right shoes , good hair and make IP and I think you're good to go.

flippinada Thu 05-Jan-17 22:24:05

All noted, thank you *Remus - that jacket is gorgeous but well outside my budget unfortunately!

flippinada Thu 05-Jan-17 22:37:25

What do people think about these style of shoes/boots?

tinyurl.com/hekac6o

tinyurl.com/h3pwoek

Anything too spindly is out unfortunately as I have fat feet that need a bit of support!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now