Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Coats - settle a disagreement for me!

(74 Posts)
fluffypigs Thu 05-Jan-17 17:01:02

Hi everyone, I hope you can help me settle a long running disagreement. You know when you buy a new coat and the pleat/opening whatever it's called at the back is sewn together with a stitch, you're meant to unpick that right? I see so many people with the stitch still in and it looks odd to me, but my friend is adamant that's supposed to stay. Am I making sense?

Don't even get me started on those 'with cashmere' labels people sometimes leave sewn on the sleeves. wink

Thanks!

MontanaSkies Thu 05-Jan-17 17:06:18

Yes, you're definitely meant to unpick it! It's only there to keep the vent nice and neat before purchase - when it's worn the vent should lie flat but kind of facilitate movement when you walk. See also : pencil skirts.

Fuzzypeggy Thu 05-Jan-17 17:07:27

Yes, supposed to undo it. I accidentally went out in a new coat recently without cutting the stitch and was hoping no one saw it!

fluffypigs Thu 05-Jan-17 17:10:17

Oh good!! Not just me then. And yes, pencil skirts indeed... grin

Bluntness100 Thu 05-Jan-17 17:15:05

Yes, of course uou unpick it, it's just to stop it getting creased or turned up etc, 😃

goinglocomoto Thu 05-Jan-17 17:17:22

Another one for unpick. Similar to how sometimes the pockets are sewn up - it's a no brainer unless you want to go pocketless

NotTodaySatan Thu 05-Jan-17 17:19:58

Unpick.

I helped my brother buy his first expensive coats years ago from Ted Baker. He fell out with me for saying he was meant to unpick the pockets and the vent at the back. He thought I was insane and that they're were a style feature of the coat 😂😂.

neveradullmoment99 Thu 05-Jan-17 17:30:35

Also stitched pockets. Unpick [ making sure they are actually pockets on the inside]

Lonelynessie Thu 05-Jan-17 17:40:37

yep, unpick.

SweetChickadee Thu 05-Jan-17 17:41:24

absolutely unpick, yes.

Dulcimena Thu 05-Jan-17 17:43:25

Why would anyone think it was not meant to be unpicked? confused

Bubbinsmakesthree Thu 05-Jan-17 18:27:56

I've just realised I am wearing a coat with a stitch in the vent I haven't unpicked blush

Also stitched pockets. Unpick [ making sure they are actually pockets on the inside]

This reminds me of being abroad with DH for a wedding - as we were getting ready DH decided to unpick the pockets of his new suit jacket with my nail scissors - unfortunately he unpicked the wrong bit and took the pocket clean off shock

Deux Thu 05-Jan-17 19:10:12

OMG. How do people not know this? On a long coat with buttons down the front there is a danger of having to trot along with a short stride if you don't unpick the vent.

I was on holiday once in Dubai and everywhere men hadn't removed the sleeve labels on suit jackets, bizarre.

LockedOutOfMN Thu 05-Jan-17 19:13:02

Deux Maybe they were planning to return them to the shop after the wedding.

Deux Thu 05-Jan-17 19:13:38

More info here. thecuttingclass.com/post/3783579995/removable-stitches

Deux Thu 05-Jan-17 19:15:42

Locked out, it was often sales assistants. It was 15 years ago, mind.

DramaAlpaca Thu 05-Jan-17 19:18:27

I have to admit I didn't realise this myself until a few years ago recently. I went to a family party wearing a lovely new jacket with the stitch still in place, thinking it was supposed to be.

Two of my SILs admired the jacket, got me to do a twirl, then exclaimed in horror, grabbed me & sorted out the stitch there & then with the kitchen scissors!

Deux Thu 05-Jan-17 19:22:42

OP, you've identified a world wide irritation. I found a blog post about this and loads of comments from around the world. www.doorsixteen.com/2008/11/14/this-is-a-public-service-announcement/

wowfudge Thu 05-Jan-17 19:25:26

I once had to advise a young job seeker to unpick the vent and remove the sleeve labels from his obviously new suit jacket. He was trying to do all the right things and was very keen, just needed a couple of pointers.

littlejeopardy Thu 05-Jan-17 19:30:44

Uh oh! I never knew this and I have a lovely red Monsoon coat with buttons down the front, and I am now thinking there is probably a stitch in the back I have never noticed.... I am going to have to check it once I've got the baby off to sleep.

SilentlyScreamingAgain Thu 05-Jan-17 19:45:26

The vent needs to be opened so that you can walk but I never unpick the pockets of a new 'good' coat until it's being relegated to an 'old' coat. It stops me putting junk in the pockets and ruining the line.

Doobigetta Thu 05-Jan-17 20:34:38

I also unpick vents but not pockets- the line of jackets looks much cleaner if the pockets stay flat and unused.

CaraAspen Thu 05-Jan-17 22:33:43

Yes! You are supposed to take the tacking stitch out!

EmpressoftheMundane Thu 05-Jan-17 22:43:39

Of course you unpick. I have had to seam rip open my husband's lapel button holes too. Otherwise he'd have no where to put his poppy in November!

Twenty years ago, I remember working with East Asians, they left the sleeve labels on. It was a "thing."

fluffypigs Fri 06-Jan-17 06:59:42

Thanks everyone for your replies and for settling that! And I'm glad it's saved a few of you from stitch-related embarrassment! wink

I've also seen lots of people with the sleeve labels still on...I'm convinced some people think it's a style feature...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now