Talk

Advanced search

Treatment lip balm

(24 Posts)
BoyFromTheBigBadCity Thu 05-Jan-17 16:29:04

My lips have gone to shit - cracked, bleeding, no amount of normal lip balm is doing the trick. I'll spend money if necessary, as this happens every few months. What is a properly good treatment lip. All, and what other tips are there is make them heal quickly?

lovelearning Thu 05-Jan-17 16:33:35

Organic unrefined shea butter

GummyGoddess Thu 05-Jan-17 16:37:48

This is the only thing that works for me. If I keep reapplying then my lips are fully healed the next day.

CantChoose Thu 05-Jan-17 16:39:20

Mine were terrible while taking roaccutane and I found only Elizabeth Arden eight hour cream helped, put on at night.

lovelearning Thu 05-Jan-17 16:39:40

Edible Grades are Better Than Cosmetic Grades for Your Body and Skin, After All if You Can Eat It, It Must be the Best for the Outside Too!

Organic Unrefined Edible Shea Butter 450g - Real Food Source

Ginmakesitallok Thu 05-Jan-17 16:40:20

Dd was in for an op recently, after the general her lips were a mess. I didn't have any lip balm with me, nurse gave me a wee tube of soft yellow paraffin - magic stuff!

thethoughtfox Thu 05-Jan-17 16:43:47

Aquaphor. Amazing stuff. Reasonable on Amazon. Also Dr Dan's Corti Balm; you can get it on eBay. It has hydrocortisone in it and is a miracle worker for properly damaged, bleeding cut lips. However, it tastes like ass. Try putting it on at night only and you wake up happy!

LadyOfTheCanyon Thu 05-Jan-17 16:44:53

You're going to get a thousand different answers OP! Lip balms seem to divide people massively.
For what it's worth I would use the original blistex/ blisteze ointment that comes in the little tube with a nozzle to get the cracked skin under control ( I use it overnight as it's white and difficult to apply regularly without looking like you've got cream round your mouth)
Then during the day use a balm that doesn't come off easily.

Nuxe one in the pot is good. Palmers cocoa butter one also good. People swear by Carmex but I hate the camphory taste/smell. I would avoid Vaseline ones as they slide off too easily and that makes you lick your lips a lot.

I swear by lanolips - the 101 ointment is the best imo but not everyone tolerates lanolin well. You've got options!

INeedNewShoes Thu 05-Jan-17 16:47:19

I've tried loads of different ones (Neutrogena, Blistex, Carmex, Vaseline plus some of the more expensive brands) and the only one that works for me is the medicated chapstick (the one in a pale blue tube). Cheap & cheerful and, for me, by far the most effective.

Blossomdeary Thu 05-Jan-17 16:52:01

Lanolips is the stuff to use!

BoyFromTheBigBadCity Thu 05-Jan-17 16:53:04

Keep it coming this is great! I will save this thread for eternity!

taybert Thu 05-Jan-17 17:16:53

Second for aquaphor- I'm also taking roaccutane and have tried quite a few. It is greasy and it contains lanolin which quite a few people find irritating so that's obviously a big factor if you're one of them. I use pure lanolin (nipple cream!) sometimes but I find it a lot stickier and I don't like it as much. Some people also don't get on with petroleum based stuff so it's horses for courses really!

If you can't stand greasy the blistex one is probably the best.

BoyFromTheBigBadCity Thu 05-Jan-17 17:49:53

I use lanisoh (sp?) which I like but it doesn't heal them, but doesn't make them worse if that makes sense?

Ilovecaindingle Thu 05-Jan-17 17:53:46

Body shop Hemp lipbalm.

Corneliussnitch Thu 05-Jan-17 17:58:47

Beauty kitchen lip balms from Holland & Barratt, shea butter and cocoa butter base, great if you are sensitive to lanolin or petroleum based ingredients

katplva Thu 05-Jan-17 18:08:53

Palmers cocoa butter lip balm is fabulous. I also find my lips get very dry and cracked when I'm a little dehydrated - try upping your fluid intake to see if it helps.

noeuf Thu 05-Jan-17 19:20:49

This is bloody brilliant. I sleep with it on, ds keep nicking it. During the day avene cold creme for lips is fab.

PenguinsandPebbles Thu 05-Jan-17 19:23:22

Nipple balm is great for sore lips.

But I've also started using the Eve Lom lip balm and it is amazing, I suffer really badly too, one second they are a bit sore then full on lizzard lips which bleed.

Have gone from lizzard lips to highly kissable in a day grin

BitchyInnerMonologue Thu 05-Jan-17 19:29:19

I'm loving this thread - I'm very sensitive to "normal" lip balms; the bring me out in weeping sores. It's like I have horrible cold sores, but they start within 20 mins of apppying lip balm which is très attractive! hmm

Normal moisturiser seems to work, but isn't terribly practical to cart about with me, so I think a trip to H&B's is in order.

Thecontentedcat Thu 05-Jan-17 19:30:49

beegood.co.uk/collections/lips/products/vanilla-honey-lip-balm
I have the same issue, this works for me, no more bleeding lips. Don't use anything with petroleum jelly in it makes them worse in the long run.

bingohandjob Thu 05-Jan-17 20:42:37

Lanolin - It's amazing. I put on at night as it is quite thick and sticky but lips super soft by morning www.lansinoh.co.uk/products/hpa-lanolin

dailymaillazyjournos Thu 05-Jan-17 21:05:30

I started a thread on the same thing and ended up getting Aquaphor which I'm really happy with. It's not fragranced and doesn't irritate my lips which most do. Got it on Amazon.

BoyFromTheBigBadCity Mon 09-Jan-17 11:37:33

I'm off to holland and Barrett now. Next - good tinted lip balms? I use lanolips rhubarb or butts bees dahlia but any other suggestions?

mrsmortis Mon 09-Jan-17 11:58:42

I swear by this one: www.sephora.com/agave-lip-mask-P384629

But I'm not sure you can get it in the UK without paying a huge premium. Sephora will ship it though, if you are likely to be ordering anything else.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now