Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone else have constant Cardigan Issues (when worn with dresses)?

(18 Posts)
QuimReaper Thu 05-Jan-17 10:59:05

I had a Perfect Cardigan a few years ago; it was a V-neck, ribbed around the waist so it followed the line of any dress or top-skirt combo, but was looser at the bust and the sleeves, then ribbed again at the cuff. It sat perfectly on the waist so it didn't "interrupt" the skirt, looked lovely straight-on and in profile. It just worked. I lost it ages ago and I still think about it because I HAVE LOOKED EVERYWHERE for a similarly flattering cardigan.

Every cardigan in the entire world seems to either puff out at the waist and then in again at the hip or hang straight down (which is a bit better but not ideal).

The occasionally successful option for following the line of a dress seems to be a ribbed V-neck, as you can just do up one button and the rest clings around your waist and hips, but they tend to be very tight at the sleeve which is not very comfortable if the dress has sleeves, and often are too long to work with many skirts. Also even they are often shapeless.

The closest I can find it those vintage-style cropped cardis, but they're almost always short-sleeved which baffles me, and almost never V-neck meaning you either have to do it up to the neck or leave it entirely open, they just don't sit right otherwise. I also don't want something super cropped, just something that allows me to wear a skirt without looking like I'm wearing a nappy in profile.

It's so annoying! If I'm wearing a lovely fitted dress that nips in at the waist I don't want to cover it in a big bubble!

sweetstemcauli Thu 05-Jan-17 11:13:52

You might find that this style comes up on eBay now and again, its worth having a look there I think. Also don't rule out having something altered if it is 'almost' right.

TheCakes Thu 05-Jan-17 11:20:07

I got a couple of jersey cardigans which cost next to nothing but follow the line of a dress well.

QuimReaper Thu 05-Jan-17 11:22:04

sweet I have been trying for years and years! Good idea on having something altered though, My Cardigan has recently been listed but it's listed for quite a bit, and is 2 sizes bigger than I am and from the "Tall" section so I am hesitant...

Most things are just plain wrong rather than almost right though!

QuimReaper Thu 05-Jan-17 11:23:20

TheCakes I have a marvellous jersey blazer thing from Henry Holland which works well, actually. I got the exact same thing in a different print and it wasn't nearly as well cut though confused

Will have a hunt for jersey cardigans, thanks.

Lemond1fficult Thu 05-Jan-17 11:28:43

That does sound like a very vintage silhouette - I have a wool one like it from a vintage shop. (Like this but v-neck.https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/322330473396). Maybe have a look in the vintage section on eBay? Both the New category and the actual vintage stuff on there might do. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/371781535356

sweetstemcauli Thu 05-Jan-17 11:40:30

Quim IIWM I would snap up the larger one and get it altered. I am an experienced home dressmaker and would say that you could treat it like a sewing project by removing the sleeves, laying them flat and then undoing the side and shoulder seams neatly. Then, using a garment you like the fit of or your own measurements, make a paper pattern that will fit you as you would like it and cut the pieces to shape including a seam allowance. You can then oversew the edges of the sections and re-assemble them together using a slight zig-zag/jersey stitch on the sewing machine.

If all this sounds a bit daunting or you can't face tackling it yourself you could ask a friend who sews or use a dressmaker or alterations service. Otherwise you may be waiting a long time for your dream cardie!

acurtis1234 Thu 05-Jan-17 14:08:00

This post is extremely unhelpful but....I gave up on cardigans for this very reason. I had loads of lovely dresses the look of which were then ruined with the wrong style cardigan (like you, I had The Perfect Cardigan which developed holes in the elbows from overuse).

I'm afraid I decided the only option was to completely rethink my look. I swapped cardigans for jersey blazers and chanel style round neck jackets, but this is only appropriate for the office as it's quite a smart look. Otherwise I now wear thin knit round neck sweaters layered over a jersey top with either trousers or skirts.

I would say though that trend wise, the sort of thin knit, fitted cardigan you/we are after isn't really in fashion at the moment, so this would explain the lack of choice in the shops. I think this is slowly changing though, we've had quite a few years of sweaters now and it's part of the 90s look that has had a bit of a resurgence lately. I've been watching quite a lot of 90s/00 series on Netflix and fitted cardigans are all over the place so it has to happen soon!

AndShesGone Thu 05-Jan-17 14:12:39

Brora have exactly those cardigans. Not cheap obviously but the sale starts today I think. They're my favourite shape too.

321zerobaby Thu 05-Jan-17 14:14:42

I wear skirts and dresses with cardigans (cotton in summer, cashmere in winter), I nearly always buy them from Boden, although this years offerings were not so good. They do several cropped styles, finishing just below waist. My favourite was their cashmere, but this year they have decided to crop the sleeves too, which I hate (previous years were full length sleeves). Some years they are v neck, others round neck, maybe worth looking on eBay.

NewPantsforaNewYear Thu 05-Jan-17 14:22:34

Woolovers do a good range of cropped cardigans and they have a good sale on at the moment.
Most of them are crew necked but I find that never matters as much with a cardigan as it does with a jumper. They do have some v necks.

CaroleService Thu 05-Jan-17 14:27:19

Boden has some fifties styled cardis in the sale

rememberthetime Thu 05-Jan-17 14:33:29

Have you thought about taking up knitting. There are loads of old fifties patterns that you could follow. or get a knitter to make one for you.

Chocchip88 Thu 05-Jan-17 14:37:43

What about this one? The neckline looks a bit odd on the model, it's more v neck on me (not sure what notch neck is!).
www.bravissimo.com/pepperberry/products/tops/knitwear/crop-notch-neck-cardigan/black/pt480blk/?level=1

RaisingSteam Thu 05-Jan-17 14:47:04

The Bravissimo ones are good, I wish they did nicer colours. Or Brora if you have £££'s? I wish the Boden cropped cardigans had long sleeves not 3/4. Everything petite seems to have 3/4 sleeves as if we can't be trusted not to drag them in our dinner or something.

QuimReaper Thu 05-Jan-17 15:06:45

The Brora ones are beautiful but SO expensive! Also seem to be only half-sleeve, which I could live with but isn't quite it.

QuimReaper Thu 05-Jan-17 15:07:31

Bravissimo looks promising, the website is not loading right now for some reason but a good tip, I'd never have thought to look there...

AndShesGone Thu 05-Jan-17 15:18:38

If you're an 8, there's a three quarter sleeve in the clearance section. Brora describe the ones you want as a fitted cardigan.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now