Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

So, does black really look horrible with colour?

(30 Posts)
LaCerbiatta Wed 21-Feb-07 13:16:53

According to trinny and susannah, black should only be worn with white or grey. Ever since I heard this I do tend to think that black and bright and colour is not such a good combination... But surely there are exceptions? What do you think?

LaCerbiatta Wed 21-Feb-07 13:17:29

'and bright colour'

CountessDaveula Wed 21-Feb-07 13:19:51

i think a black suit looks ok with patterned colour but not block bright colour

FioFio Wed 21-Feb-07 13:19:59

Message withdrawn

hermykne Wed 21-Feb-07 13:20:35

rubbish
black dress with pink shoes red shoes with a red cardi a la nigella

black suit with a multi coloured shirt or something out of tm lewin

there are endless options and T & S talking rubbbish there.

ok if you are of a ruddy complexion then yes sit to black white grey but hair colour and skin colour play aprt too

FioFio Wed 21-Feb-07 13:21:04

Message withdrawn

FioFio Wed 21-Feb-07 13:21:26

Message withdrawn

TenaLady Wed 21-Feb-07 13:21:43

Yes I heard that too, but I love colour with black as the black makes it really stand out.

hermykne Wed 21-Feb-07 13:23:12

fiofio - i did fashion and shoes but now cross over into interior and childrens

noddyholder Wed 21-Feb-07 13:23:25

Looks good with white grey stone agree it looks awful with bright reds greens and blues

FioFio Wed 21-Feb-07 13:24:30

Message withdrawn

bundle Wed 21-Feb-07 13:24:37

can look a bit 80s. white with black can make people ask you for a canape at nibbles events..

hermykne Wed 21-Feb-07 13:25:00

pretty easy, family background is architecture so its in the genes!

FioFio Wed 21-Feb-07 13:25:44

Message withdrawn

hermykne Wed 21-Feb-07 13:25:45

shoes i loved - went to cordwainers and i would love to get back into that area but maybe in 10 years time!

hermykne Wed 21-Feb-07 13:26:04

its alright

FioFio Wed 21-Feb-07 13:26:14

Message withdrawn

LaCerbiatta Wed 21-Feb-07 13:26:30

I was thinking more of casual black trousers (which used to be one of my wardrobe basics). Now I just don't think they go with a red or bright blue top... I just wear them with a white t-shirt and a black jumper... Aren't I boring and easily infuenced?!!
What do you girls think is the perfect casual top for black trousers then?

hermykne Wed 21-Feb-07 13:28:32

if its casual black trousers the a top that extends below the wait down to the hips imo, otherwise the black line is very definitive and cuts the body.
so a lovely wrap top out of monsoon or m & s with some balck in the print could look fab.
doesnt have to even that expensive primark probably have lovely tunic tops for the sprin that would work or a short sleeve top over a long white sleeve would look crisp,

hermykne Wed 21-Feb-07 13:28:50

wait = waist

sorry my typing is terrible

Dave1978 Wed 21-Feb-07 13:30:22

H&M are doing some gorgeous wrap dresses that would look lovely over trousers. I've bought a black one to wear over jeans and team with a brighter coloured top (which would only see a peeking bit of)

fishie Wed 21-Feb-07 13:34:35

i think trinny and susannah said that because a) it doesn't suit either of them and b) because is a very 80s look and they were probably teenagers then and wore it to death.

i find dark grey more flattering with bright colour, but like hermy says it is really down your colouring.

fishie Wed 21-Feb-07 13:37:02

something like this ..?

LaCerbiatta Wed 21-Feb-07 13:37:06

Hmmm long is good. Even though I'm back to my pre pregnancy weight and size clothes don't fit me like they used to anymore . T-shirts and jeans or polo neck jumpers and jeans used to be my basics and always looked good, but now it just doesn't work. I feel like my ribcage is still bigger (or more open), if this is possible 15 months on... and that bloody muffin top... All tops are short now and I have a tiny upper body....

LaCerbiatta Wed 21-Feb-07 13:38:15

Sorry, definitely meant a very sad emoticon there!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: