Talk

Advanced search

Shampoo for making (dyed) hair gradually lighter again

(8 Posts)
buzzlightyearsdinosaur Tue 03-Jan-17 08:38:42

Latest box dye has come out rather dark (that's it now, I'm laving it to the professionals in future!)...before I can go in and have hi-lights I need to lighten things up a bit. Is there a shampoo that is good for stripping out hair dye? either one that works gradually or one that works more quickly.

TIA

ProudBadMum Tue 03-Jan-17 08:40:09

Washing up liquid

Head & shoulders strips colour too

scaredofthecity Tue 03-Jan-17 08:41:26

Head and shoulders is particularly good. Or anything clarifying

Liiinoo Tue 03-Jan-17 09:14:43

When my hairdresser got my colour wrong he recommended using Head and Shoulders for a couple of weeks to strip out the dark before he recoloured it.

buzzlightyearsdinosaur Tue 03-Jan-17 11:54:02

Thanks all. I have large bottle of H&S arriving on tomorrows Ocardo order!

youvegottobekidding Tue 03-Jan-17 13:47:58

If you want to really lift the dye out, Google Vitamin C shampoo hair dye removal mix for the method- it'll take out the last colour you put on, you just need a tube of those efferescent vitamin c tablets & a clarifying shampoo, although head & shoulders will do fine.

buzzlightyearsdinosaur Fri 06-Jan-17 10:32:05

Thanks so much for this youvegottobekidding , I did this yesterday evening and had a look in natural light today this morning. My roots are back to their natural colour again (which you can't really see unless you really look) and the rest has lifted somewhat.

I might give it another go for longer at the weekend, I was expecting to end up with hair like straw but it is actually ok.

youvegottobekidding Sun 08-Jan-17 12:26:06

You're welcome, glad it's worked for you. I've done it at least several times over the years & yes it can be a bit drying but nothing a good conditioner can't sort out. I usually leave the mix on for about an hour - an hour & a half. I've even thrown in a couple of tablespoons of honey a couple of times for extra conditioning/lightening.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now