Talk

Advanced search

help with greasy hair

(37 Posts)
Dmacka75 Mon 02-Jan-17 18:41:48

Ive always had greasy hair, however the last 6 months or so its much worse.
Ive tried using no conditioner, conditioner then shampooing after and its still greasy toward the end of the day.
I dont like using dry shampoo as it has thinned my hair previously.
Any suggestions would be most welcome

Candlelight123 Mon 02-Jan-17 20:17:41

I've come to the conclusion that I just have to wash me hair every day as it is greasy. It was slightly better when longer as I could tie it back.
I'm currently trying the elvive clay shampoo for greasy hair, and by end of day 2 it was still greasy.
Conditioner on the ends of the hair only is my best suggestion, but watching with interest.

TheWantedOne Mon 02-Jan-17 20:24:35

Watching! I'm sick of washing my hair every day.
Even if I wash it in the evening, it's greasy when I wake up in the morning and is horrific by lunchtime.
I've tried conditioner first or conditioning the ends only. I've tried silicone-free shampoos and conditioners for a few months and they left my hair in really poor condition - and was still greasy!
My hair is shoulder-length and needs styling with a hairdryer to look ok - otherwise it's flat as a pancake. I don't use any styling products though. I'm just sick of wasting so much time on a daily basis doing my hair!!
And breathe....

pumpkin321 Mon 02-Jan-17 20:27:04

Mine has been annoyingly greasy at the roots lately - but I refuse to wash it daily as with two small ones I just don't have time! I use dry shampoo on the non washed days. Envy people that only need to wash their hair once or twice a week. X

StinkyMcgrinky Mon 02-Jan-17 20:28:21

Also watching in the hope that someone will come up with a magic solution. I've always been prone to greasy hair and have never been able to use conditioner, although my hair still remains in good condition.

Since having DS2 I wash my hair in the morning and by the evening it's limp and greasy. I've tried a million different shampoo, washing it more, washing it less, not using styling products, leaving it to dry naturally etc...and nothing. Are we destined to be greaseballs for eternity??

Oblomov16 Mon 02-Jan-17 20:29:16

I've tried most things. Nothing has worked so far.

TheresABluebirdOnMyShoulder Mon 02-Jan-17 20:29:57

Place marking. I'm always baffled when people say their blow-dry lasts a week. I would look like a swamp creature.

Sillybillybonker Mon 02-Jan-17 20:31:02

I wash mine every day too. A decent shampoo will make it last until bedtime but nothing will make it last until the morning!

TheresABluebirdOnMyShoulder Mon 02-Jan-17 20:31:36

Has anybody tried going longer between washes and had success? Hairdresser always tells me that I wash it too often but I've tried washing every other day and it doesn't change anything. Do you have to stick with it for absolutely ages?

Ohyesiam Mon 02-Jan-17 20:33:54

Rinse it in rosemary water. So pick some rosemary, or buy some from the supermarket, and use a 3 " sprig in teapot/Jug with lid. Pour boiling water on itLet it cool, take out the sprig, and use it as the last rinse.
An old wives tail that works.

qazxc Mon 02-Jan-17 20:34:44

Also placemarking, I wash every day and only condition ends. Dry shampoo doesn't agree with me.

Ankleswingers Mon 02-Jan-17 20:35:23

Less products ( serums, sprays) works for me as when I use that stuff it makes my hair more greasy.

I also use a small amount of shampoo and conditioner- a lot seems to make the greasiness worse.

Hormones play a role; mine was more greasy after pregnancy. I then had the added hideousness of it falling out shock

No real answers though- sorry op.

Candlelight123 Mon 02-Jan-17 20:35:47

My hairdresser told me the same, said aim to wash twice a week, but then always says my hair is in great condition!! The most I ever went was 4 days in summer when it was long & tied back. To be honest it was dreadful and I was concerned it smelled. Now it's short I wash every day, if I don't it is awful on day 2.

FreeButtonBee Mon 02-Jan-17 20:44:18

Shampoos that have worked for me

Swell shampoo and conditioner - expensive but pretty good, very clear instructions for use. I am quite fond of the conditioner - a bottle lasts me about a year though!

Hairfix - this has a 3 stage process, a pre cleanse that doesn't foam and totally strips the grease and residue out then a shampoo amd conditioner. Not that keen on the conditioner but currently using the shampoo and liking it again. The pre cleanse is a once a week thing although I don't need it much any more.

I use Philip Kingsley itchy flakey scalp shampoo as a first wash every day as this keeps my scalp from going in to overdrive and reduces the oil slick. This is key for me. The PK hair tonic is also good for soothing the scalp and rebalancing it. I use it periodically.

I can get away with washing every two days this way - afternoon of day 2 is a bit limp but nothing awful and I can push to day 3 with a liberal spray of dry shampoo if it's a lazy Saturday or day off but wouldn't want to be seen much!

UnderbeneathsiesTheMistletoe Mon 02-Jan-17 21:06:44

I think it's hormonal.

I've been edging towards the menopause and my hair has become less greasy, as has my skin.

After I had my dcs my hair behaved itself properly for about three months and then back to its usual. My hair, nails and skin were fab when I was pregnant. That's why I know it's hormonal with me.

I find if I use clips at night and give myself a root lift then the hair isn't so flat in the morning. Sometimes I tie it up in a sock on the top of my head.
I use a tiny bit of cornstarch Burts bees baby powder between washes on the roots, not that awfully stinky batiste spray which is vile.

Sometimes I use salt spray with a tiny squirt of hair gel in it too to give body when it's still damp.
Water, salt and gel in a squirt bottle. Little bit of neroli / bergamot oil if you want fragrance.

WonderMike Mon 02-Jan-17 21:24:48

Aussie mega shine shampoo with a tiny bit of conditioner, or a Lush shampoo bar gets rid of the grease but still needs to be used every day - for me.

The hairdresser sold me some Paul Mitchell One shampoo with The Detangler conditioner. It's a little better than the Aussie but not worth the £££ more.

I got into the habit of using Batiste everyday, it's much better now I've weaned myself off it.

sammy891 Mon 02-Jan-17 23:25:47

The L'oreal Elvive Clay shampoo and conditioner are great for greasy hair. I tried everything before someone on here recommeneded this one. Works a treat and doesn't dry out my scalp but gets rid of the greasy oiliness

vitaminC Tue 03-Jan-17 15:04:02

I also have very fine, poker straight hair which becomes greasy within a day. I've found the only thing that makes a difference is not using any heated appliances to style it (at the roots, anyway).

I don't like to do this in winter because I'm sensitive to the cold and hate to go to bed with damp hair, but in summer I wash it at night, leave it to dry naturally, then just brush it in the morning and straighten any kinks with straighteners (but only using them on the ends).

It can last for 2, sometimes 3 days this way. Usually I end up having to wash it sooner anyway, because I go to the gym or the swimming pool every couple of days.

Jecan Tue 03-Jan-17 15:17:46

My curly hair was becoming so greasy at the roots after only 2 days which never happened when I was younger (I'm in my 40's) & no regime was making it better.
The hairdresser then recommended this
I know it's for curly hair but I'm getting to day 3 & 4 & no greasiness. It's expensive tho - maybe there are other clay shampoos out there that are cheaper?

Scentofwater Tue 03-Jan-17 15:33:12

I may just be lucky, but I can usually keep my hair not greasy for 3/4 days. Things that help me:
-don't touch your hair at all. Don't play with it, style it etc more than you absolutely have to. I comb my hair while washing it, that's pretty much it. I'm lucky with hair that dries Okish naturally.
-use a comb and make sure it's squeaky clean, bristle brushes soak up oil and spread it all over your hair.
-don't massage your head when washing hair, or ever actually, as that seems to stimulate the oil in my experience.
-wash your hair as little as possible, your body wants to replace all the oils so goes into overdrive to do so if you wash it every day.
-use as little product as possible, again not just because that weighs and dirties your hair but because applying it involves touching your hair.

Nellyphants Tue 03-Jan-17 15:36:02

I have fine greasy hair but loads of it. I've found alpechin shampoo vg

littlemissM92 Tue 03-Jan-17 15:44:48

Talcon powder instead of dry shampoo is the best thing I've found I can get away with every other but it does look grim by then and because I have a body shower every day I don't think the steam helps on the day I'm not doing hair !

SaveYourTearsForYourPillow Tue 03-Jan-17 16:43:34

Lush do a shampoo called I love Juicy and it's amazing at getting rid of grease.

Hidingtonothing Tue 03-Jan-17 16:50:32

Can't really help with making it last longer between washes but mine is so greasy since having DD I was struggling to even get it clean in the first place. I've found Tresemme deep cleansing shampoo to be the only thing that gets my hair properly squeaky clean and I get away with washing every other day since I started using it.

HeyMacWey Tue 03-Jan-17 18:24:18

Was just going to say tresemme deep cleanse shampoo, or the aussie Mega.
I use either of those as a first cleanse then use an ogx thickening shampoo followed by their coconut water shampoo on the ends.
I also rinse the shampoo and conditioner or with my hair upside down.
Used to wash my hair daily but now down to every three days.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now