Talk

Advanced search

Best foundation for middle age

(25 Posts)
seb1 Mon 02-Jan-17 17:55:55

I am late 40's, pale with auburn hair and looking for a reasonably priced foundation, probably quite light coverage, I don't want to looked caked or tango-ed. I don't really wear make up but feel I should start, I feel I look tired.

DameDoom Mon 02-Jan-17 18:46:40

You need to set an afternoon aside to trawl the beauty counters and try as many as possible from different brands. Ask for samples so you can try them out over a few days to see how they suit your skin, how long they last and whether or not they oxidise and change colour.
Think about trying different textures too: liquid, mineral, gel cushion. Take your time and do not be swayed there and then by sales patter.
A good foundation makes all the difference.

dannyglick Thu 05-Jan-17 20:07:02

Visiting beauty counters sounds like a good idea, OP: be sure to try bare minerals, for good coverage, while still looking flatteringly "natural".
I am nearly 53 , and a big fan of mineral make-up.

PollyPerky Thu 05-Jan-17 20:09:17

Very few foundations now look cakey unless you layer on something 'long wear'. I'd suggest you head to Bobbi Brown, Clinique, Dior and Nars for a make over and see what you like.

user1471545174 Thu 05-Jan-17 20:14:22

A huge range in No. 7 - there's a light natural one, one for ageing etc etc and colours are consistent across the ranges with lots of choice at the paler end.

user1471545174 Thu 05-Jan-17 20:15:23

They are also reasonably priced, but counter will give you little samples anyway.

RemusLupinsChristmasMovie Thu 05-Jan-17 20:15:31

I like the No 7 one in the v lightest shade. It does need a primer though.

rosyvalentine Thu 05-Jan-17 20:45:13

I tried loads of different foundations recently when my usual one was discontinued and I'm finding the Bourjois Healthy Mix gel foundation really good. Many of the more expensive ones settle into fine lines in my experience. The Bourjois one is also quite light and natural looking. Available in Boots. Good luck!

rosyvalentine Thu 05-Jan-17 20:46:14

Sorry. Meant to attach pic...

onthelevel Fri 06-Jan-17 20:27:12

I honestly think the most important aspect of a good foundation is having the right colour tone for your skin,I have found Bourjois foundations to be a good buy for the money,but you need to be confident that you select the best colour for you

ImprovingMyMH Fri 06-Jan-17 20:31:45

I had a free makeup session at Bobbi Brown recently, and they selected the the right foundation for me after I told them my preferences (relatively light coverage, natural look). I'm really pleased with it.

Wolpertinger Sat 07-Jan-17 08:46:19

A good start for someone who doesn't really wear makeup and wants light coverage is Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturiser.

Laura Mercier also a good counter for people who don't really wear makeup.

Bluntness100 Sat 07-Jan-17 08:50:31

God, you've just depressed me by saying your middle aged. Sigh,I'm 47 but wouldn't refer to my self as middle aged, I just don't like the term.

Anyway, Chanel perfection lumiere. If you're going to wear a foundation, wear a good one. You'd be surprised at the difference it makes.

mowglik Sat 07-Jan-17 10:24:38

Also look for lighter foundations, I've found as I've got older heavier foundations age me and bb cream, cushion foundations etc look better

Oh2beatsea Sat 07-Jan-17 10:27:07

I am very similar to you OP, pale skin, mid 40s, auburn hair and not used to wearing make up! I wanted to try some foundation to even up the skin tone and minimise the dark circles. I went to an Estée Lauder counter and the lady did a great colour match on me and gave me a free 10 day sample of their Double Wear Nude foundation. The nude version is a lighter coverage and was really easy to apply - colour match was perfect too. It was great but I wanted a fuller coverage so returned and she did my make up for free with the actual double wear which I bought and I'm still using 6 months later. I feel polished but not "made up" when I wear it. Pick a quiet time to go to the beauty counters and let them suggest some options. Good luck with it.

ggirl Sat 07-Jan-17 16:06:05

MAC face and body

whatiswrongwithyou Sat 07-Jan-17 16:14:59

Definitely very individual. I had a make over and Bobbi Briwn and whilst the foundation looked ok in the shop, it was far too yellow based for my skin and looked very unnatural.

Chanel Perfection Lumiere left me very underwhelmed and I've actually found it quite aging on my skin.

I finally gave up with the expensive foundations, got colour matched at Boots and now have a perfect foundation in colour and texture - Instant Radiance.

PickleSarnie Sat 07-Jan-17 16:29:11

Nars Tinted moisturiser is brilliant.

And this is brilliant. Light, non cakes but still gives coverage. Downside is that it's ridiculously expensive. I got it on a 30% off sale from very exclusive a while back and I'll cry when this one runs out. www.spacenk.com/uk/en_GB/brands/b/by-terry/light-expert-click-brush-UK200015719.html

VintagePerfumista Sun 08-Jan-17 17:54:25

I just bought some Perfection Lumiere as I wanted a bit more coverage than the Les Beiges.

You know what though? While I always have a £££ one hanging around, the one foundation I buy, buy and buy again, is Maybelline Dream Silk. I use it as a top layer and it's bloody lovely.

QueenJulian Sun 08-Jan-17 17:57:04

I second MAC face and body. You can add layers if you want to build it and it never looks cakey.

Phantommagic Sun 08-Jan-17 17:59:58

I've just bought maybelline dream velvet and am impressed with staying power and finish. Main reason I bought it though, was a good colour match. No matter how good the texture a poor colour will never look good.

Lovelybangers Sun 08-Jan-17 18:03:13

Laura Geller

I bought this recently. I don't like to wear too much make up - this gives a very natural effect. Fool proof too.

I'm a year older than you OP but don't consider myself middle aged! wink

citygirl1961 Sun 08-Jan-17 22:32:08

Whatiswrongwithyou - I was just going to start a post about the No7 Instant Radiance foundation. Which shade do you have? I've been matched to cool ivory but a sales assistant suggested warm beige as I like a bit of colour but it did seem a tad dark. The foundation is lovely and glowy but there are too many shades to choose from. Do you think this is a foundation for all seasons? It seems very light.

cdhusband Thu 12-Jan-17 17:00:50

MAC Studio Fix is fab

MaQueen Thu 12-Jan-17 17:17:35

I'm mid 40s and only wear Chanel Perfection Lumiere Velvet in Beige 20. It's not cheap, but it gives a lovely soft but sheer coverage.

I even buy it for my DDs because I can't bear them to have that dreadful chalky, overly peachy-toned skin that most of their friends have [shudder]

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now