Talk

Advanced search

Help me choose a work wardrobe

(7 Posts)
autumnglow Mon 02-Jan-17 14:00:05

I'm going back to work p/t soon in an office. I have one black skirt suit and a couple of tops. So need to purchase more. Apparently it's smart/casual. When I last worked c4/5 yrs ago I wore a lot of trousers and cardigans but feel that look would be a bit frumpy now. Thing is a suit may be too for a but cardigans are so handy and keep me warm. Do you have any tips on what to wear and wear to shop ( I'm mid forties, size 10/12, not a fashionista but defo not a grump.)

MikeUniformMike Mon 02-Jan-17 14:13:00

Suggest you don't buy much until you start working. It will take a few days to get an idea of what you would want to wear.
I'd try to put together a few smart but not trying too hard outfits together for the first week or two. Things that you feel confident in. How about for the first few days wearing a suit but take in a cardi, so you can make a strong first impression then look a bit less formal?

(bookmarking)

hippospot Mon 02-Jan-17 14:13:25

I recently went back to a part-time job in a smart/casual environment (ie no suits but no jeans either). I decided to wear only dresses, and bought six as well as a pair of shoes and a pair of ankle boots. After 10 years as SAHM I had to start from scratch, and dresses are so much easier as no coordination needed!

On colder days I wear Uniqlo thermal tops underneath. I waited until after the first week to buy most of the dresses as I wanted to see if the office was overheated or chilly.

MissBeehiving Mon 02-Jan-17 14:15:25

Congratulations on the job. 🙂

I'd go for some decent basics - skinny navy/ black trousers and maybe something like the Hush ruched skirt which everyone raves about. I've worn a navy knit tank top with buttoned up blouses this winter which looks smart with either trousers or a skirt. I also like Clarks brogues and Chorus gia shoes - which are reasonably priced and quite cool.

MikeUniformMike Mon 02-Jan-17 14:23:13

Sorry, I should have congratulated you OP. Happy New Year. Good luck in your new job.

autumnglow Mon 02-Jan-17 14:31:20

Gosh thanks - little nervous as it's going to impact our routine and I'm going to have to get dressed up a bit more than I would for the school run. Listening and taking all the sensible advice on board. Loving hush skirt

imsorryiasked Mon 02-Jan-17 17:46:25

I think trousers and cardis are fine as long as they aren't in themselves frumpy.
(Disclaimer - I may just be kidding myself as I am your age and this is what I wear grin )
my one piece of advice would be to stick to plain "bottoms" that way you can wear any patterned tops and don't have to waste time in the morning rush trying to find things that go together.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now