Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Apple shape - help me out of elasticated dreariness

(19 Posts)
purpleshortcake Mon 02-Jan-17 10:44:36

I'm 47 and short. Last year I had a miscarriage and my hormones went to pot. My tummy popped out and I looked 5-6 months pregnant more of less straight away and I have retained that shape (probably not helped by weak stomach muscles having previously carried twins). Any way this year I am going to be tackling this with sensible eating, reducing alcohol and exercise.

However in the meantime I am really struggling with clothes, I am living in elasticated "peg" type trousers and for work have a couple of elasticated straight skirts. I seem to be out of proportion for anything with a button and if I can get it on in the morning it invariably is uncomfortable by lunchtime (have a desk bound position).

I desperately need some smart casual and smart clothes for work.

It has been disheartening over Christmas climbing out of one pair of PJ's into a daytime outfit which is not to dissimilar albeit very comfortable. If anyone knows of any good brands or recommendations on flattering outfits I'd be really grateful smile

LadyOfTheCanyon Mon 02-Jan-17 11:56:52

How good are your legs? I'm 46 and short and I hate my stomach but find skinnies and a top that falls just below my tummy work really well. Jeggings might be the answer if you're finding waistbands uncomfortable. Heels if you can bear them to elongate the leg too ( I wear heeled ankle boots a lot). The other alternative I fall back on is a slightly more fitted t shirt and a long line cardigan with slim trousers/skinnies.
Being short means I avoid things with too much detail as I find visually it makes me look a bit 'busy'. Sleek is what I am for despite my size 16 arse.
I would say the answer at least at first might just be to structure up what you already wear with a tweak here and there and try and wear clothes that skim a little bit rather than are out and out baggy which isn't too flattering.

purpleshortcake Mon 02-Jan-17 15:31:30

Thanks Lady... legs are not too bad and I agree the jeggings/ skinniest look is flattering but recently I can't find a pair that don't slip down during the day...constantly hoiking my trousers up during the day is not a good look. Not sure why? I have quite a hollow back and a local boutique who sold me some hideously expensive Spanx jeans that still fell down told me I needed them hopping in at the back?!??

purpleshortcake Mon 02-Jan-17 16:06:17

#nipping in!

Silverdream Mon 02-Jan-17 17:49:18

Next do skinny elastic jeans that come with belt loops. They are jeggins but up a gear. I live in them

Cakescakescakes Mon 02-Jan-17 17:53:14

I sometimes get jeans taken in at the waist at the small of the back as I have a curved spine and hollow back. My local alterations place charges £6 to do it and then they fit a treat. Definitely worth trying?

hollyisalovelyname Mon 02-Jan-17 20:52:53

The best skinnies are Topshop Moto Joni
for apple shapes.
They are brilliant
They don't slide down.
They come in blue denim obviously but also in black.
I have had Next skinnies and M&S Skinnies/ jeggings.
Both slid down.
I gave them to the charity shop.

SesameSparkle Mon 02-Jan-17 21:07:28

White stuff, fat face, topshop and oasis are all good brands for apple shapes - much will depend on your overall size and sense of style whether these might suit. I used to love white stuff jeans - it's great for shorties they come in a 31 inch length as standard and their short length is 29 inches. However now I've slimmed down, topshop works much better for me. Also look for desses without a well defined/restrictive waist. A single colour or pattern all the way down avoids cutting you in two/allows the eye to skim your waist. Jumper style and column style shifts can be good.

purpleshortcake Tue 03-Jan-17 13:32:48

Thanks for all the input. I've had Next ones too that I donated to my sister after 1 wear as they fell down..same happened to her so she donated to charity. Maybe we're a different style though? Going to try Topshop as a couple of people have mentioned these. Had not considered it as always think of it as a youngsters shop! Will let you know how I get on!

purpleshortcake Tue 03-Jan-17 13:41:24

PS cakes I am going to take the Spanx jeans in to get altered. They were over £100 so criminal to have them lying dormant in my wardrobe. I went a size smaller on their recommendation (after trying on) as they said would stop them falling down so I'm a bit hacked off. Thanks!

hollyisalovelyname Tue 03-Jan-17 18:01:06

OP
The Topshop Moto Joni are the ones.
Great stretch but high waisted.
I got the 34W blush30Leg

SilentlyScreamingAgain Tue 03-Jan-17 18:39:02

Would you consider getting a pair of braces to wear under your tops?

purpleshortcake Tue 03-Jan-17 19:26:50

Holly I got those---- today from Topshop but they told me they only made them up to a 32" waist (14) so I've bought a pair but fear I'll need next size up too..will report back if I don't get wedged into a pair of size 14s and can't escape!

purpleshortcake Tue 03-Jan-17 19:27:38

Sorry about weird reverse strikethroughs in previous post!

LockedOutOfMN Tue 03-Jan-17 21:05:02

So sorry to hear about your miscarriage, OP.

My friend had twins at the end of March and has worn a kind of tummy trainer since then (on and off, not permanently!) It's basically a strip of firm fabric that goes from under boobs to pelvis level and has Velcro to secure it at the circumference she wants. She says it's really helped her to rein in the "twin tummy" - and her stomach looks flat to me now.

However obviously check whether it's ok to do this healthwise first - coz it's essentially a corset so there must be some organ/rib squishing involved.

purpleshortcake Tue 03-Jan-17 22:49:26

Thanks Lockedout Googling madly and think they might be called belly bandits? (!). Could you ask your friend do you think? Can't find anywhere whether they can help when your twins are 4 years old but 2 miscarriages in 2 years have meant the pregnancy belly has reappeared....I suppose it's all due to weak / damaged / torn ab muscles but maybe it's too late now as they will have "reset" in a protruding manner confused

hollyisalovelyname Wed 04-Jan-17 09:52:10

OP they can be ordered in 34. I know - I have two pairs- denim and black.
I hope the 32 fits.

purpleshortcake Wed 04-Jan-17 22:32:27

Holly you're a genius! I actually managed to get the 32" waist on and zipped up! First size 14 with a button in ages! Am tempted to order them in every colour but my sensible side says wear them for a full day and check they don't ride down! They are pretty clingy but actually nice to eat something figure hugging again ..shows off my bum in a flattering way! Def need a long top to cover tum still but love the feel of the denim and they're sooo stretchy and soft! Yay!

hollyisalovelyname Thu 05-Jan-17 13:53:40

wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now