Talk

Advanced search

If you're one of those people who just don't look good in any kind of coat have you found a solution for when it's cold and wet? Or a magical actually looks good coat?

(9 Posts)
Honeydragon Mon 02-Jan-17 00:53:39

I hate coat shopping.

I like coats on other people.

I don't suit coats, and any coats. I'm 5.1 size 10 and thick middled....I am not designed for coats.

I also don't like being cold and wet.

What do I do?

Tamsworth17 Mon 02-Jan-17 08:04:31

I also find it hard to find coats. I'm a bit taller and a bit bigger than you and my middle is definitely thick.
What sort of coat do you want? For what temperature? what are you doing to do in it? Does it need to be waterproof?
I need a different coat for standing around in park in cold winter, than going to work in autumn.
What sort of clothes do you wear? My clothes are normally fitted - not tight but I look dreadful in big, baggy stuff. My coats are slightly fitted so that they kind of fit what I am used to seeing shape wise. I make it sound as if I have loads of coats but I don't and most are at least a couple of years old - I ' ve got a thin waterproof jacket, a mid thigh belted puffy jacket from esprit, a short thin down jacket ( good buy because of colour and warmth without weight, but it makes me look pregnant, I wear it anyway) a thin, fitted wool coat and a belted trench from M&S. The belt here only works because the coat is slightly A- line. Belts sometimes work, but not on thick coats.
What's your budget?

pallasathena Mon 02-Jan-17 08:05:51

Go for something slightly fitted, well cut and dark in colour. Make sure its a petite range size and make sure its longish. Best coat I bought recently and I'm the same size/height as you was a military style from Next around 70 pounds I think.
Its not particularly warm but it looks really good on.

Honeydragon Mon 02-Jan-17 14:33:59

Thanks. I'd love to pull off a milatry style coat but even the petite types look odd.

Mainly as I wear bulky boots or trainers.

I scour coat threads every year on here looking for ideas.

I pretty much live in leggings and longer tops. I gave up on jeans and trousers years ago.

I have a Joule dull flowery anatomy that does autumn fine. It's proper winter school run I struggle with.

Newbrummie Mon 02-Jan-17 14:59:45

There is a brand arch something or another that's the same price as a mortgage payment but the cost look bloody phenomenal. One day

Honeydragon Mon 02-Jan-17 19:37:44

<google>

Thankfully not for me or my budget grin

Honeydragon Mon 02-Jan-17 20:19:51

What about Superdry ski coats? They look fairly inoffensive and unexciting I could probably manage that?

Honeydragon Mon 02-Jan-17 20:25:43

Ski coat <over £100.... sob>

Honeydragon Mon 02-Jan-17 20:26:41

Kids coat <£45 and wool mix possibly not warm or dry?>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now