Talk

Advanced search

Wanted: Clothes like Topshop/H+M, but nicer ...

(24 Posts)
NotQuiteCockney Tue 20-Feb-07 20:39:45

I did a biggish shopping trip on Monday and came back almost entirely with Topshop/H+M stuff. Which is fine, but I suspect it will fall apart?

I am a 14/16, so proper designer places aren't an option, I don't think? I don't mind spending money.

I want clothes that are simple and interesting, and not froofy (not Monsoon). Where can I go?

FrannyandZooey Tue 20-Feb-07 20:41:52

I don't think Topshop stuff does fall apart, myself

H+M does, for sure

Cappuccino Tue 20-Feb-07 20:43:03

oh I bought a load of stuff from Primark and it's still in one piece

give it a chance

NotQuiteCockney Tue 20-Feb-07 20:43:09

Oh, fair enough.

Actually, I have a few H+M tshirts that I've had for a few years, and they're doing ok.

I just mean, well, I'd rather buy something ... nicer. Maybe not sweatshopped? I could do American Apparel, I guess, only a) their adverts annoy me and b) I think they don't 'do' fat people.

Oooh, have just remembered a place I could go to, but can't remember the name of it. Downstairs is amusing notebooks etc upstairs is clothes.

Cappuccino Tue 20-Feb-07 20:44:01

my mil always buys dh noncy t-shirts

and they go out of shape far more than his h&m ones

FrannyandZooey Tue 20-Feb-07 20:44:13

I'll ask dp, he's the king of fair trade organic trendy gear

I just buy cheap shite from TopShop

NotQuiteCockney Tue 20-Feb-07 20:44:29

Oh, yes, Urban Outfitters ...

CountessDracula Tue 20-Feb-07 20:44:50

NQC you are so not fat may I point out

Try going to a HOF that has many different concessions eg DH Evans

NotQuiteCockney Tue 20-Feb-07 20:45:06

Although from what I remember Urban Outfitters had a lot of 'dry clean only' stuff, which is just not an option for me.

CountessDracula Tue 20-Feb-07 20:45:20

urban outfitters stuff falls apart before you get it home!

CountessDracula Tue 20-Feb-07 20:45:43

or go to Selfridges

NotQuiteCockney Tue 20-Feb-07 20:46:18

I may well be 'not fat', but I am resolutely a 14 (or more) on top and a 16 (or more) on the bottom.

Yes, lots of concessions, will try that.

I do like Mexx and Esprit, but they had nothing for me on Monday.

(I bought: nice dress from Oasis. Never been in there before. Hoodie + leggings from Topshop. Pointless dress + thin stripey tshirt from H+M)

Leda Tue 20-Feb-07 20:46:32

Are you thinking of Muji? It’s one of my favourite shops.

NotQuiteCockney Tue 20-Feb-07 20:46:58

Selfridges frightens me, tbh. Too big, too shiny, too scary. Those makeup vampires give me the wiggins, I keep wanting to work out how to get them in natural light so they turn to dust.

NotQuiteCockney Tue 20-Feb-07 20:47:23

Hmmm, I should try Muji, but I just assume that as a Japanese shop, they're not going to go big?

Oh, Uniqlo! Must try them.

fishie Tue 20-Feb-07 20:47:48

what did you get then nqc?

it is a funny time of year for buying clothes, they are trying to tempt us into spring but it is still, well... february. try again in slight dearer places like wallis or principles in a month or so, they may have more to your liking.

NotQuiteCockney Tue 20-Feb-07 20:48:49

Hmm, I used to shop in Wallis when I had a job, but it seems a bit, well, old for me now. I mean, I'm always on a bike, so ladylike clothes aren't the best plan.

I did briefly contemplate a weird mini with zips on the front, which I could undo for biking (with leggings underneath).

fishie Tue 20-Feb-07 20:49:21

x posted. i tried on 18 varied things in h&m today and 15 tunics in debenhams on sunday. 1 tiny purchase of top. bad bad time to shop.

NotQuiteCockney Tue 20-Feb-07 20:49:34

Oh, fishie, I said what I got before.

Oh, and I fell in love with a bunch of pink and black skull-printed stuff in H+M, but all the other not-fat girls had bought out my size. Well, I tried a 14 today in another H+M, but it was tight on my biceps and rib cage. Whoops.

Leda Tue 20-Feb-07 20:49:42

No I meant about the amusing notebooks clothes combo. They don't go very big no, but at 14/16 I think you'd still find stuff.

NotQuiteCockney Tue 20-Feb-07 20:50:28

Ah, right, yes. The notebooks etc at Urban Outfitters are whimsical, rather than practical and minimalist, iyswim.

fishie Tue 20-Feb-07 20:55:01

i got marvellous grey and black leopard spot tunic from wallis. have worn it pretty much every day like a teenager ever since. sadly the rest of their stuff is orange green or frumpy, but i do like this could be fab for you with leggings and a bright vest or scarf?

BirdyArms Tue 20-Feb-07 20:56:42

French Connection has some nice stuff at the moment (although am v pregnant so could just look nice because I know I can't have it). They go up to 16 I think but their sizes always seem v small to me. I can always find something in White Stuff, not the most exciting but good everyday stuff and nice skirts, but maybe skirts aren't ideal for biking.

NotQuiteCockney Tue 20-Feb-07 21:08:44

Hmm, that is nice, but not for my (v pear) shape.

I definately have to try White Stuff, and Fat Face. I think they would probably work for me, and their clothes seem very sturdy. I had some Fat Face capris that I managed to wear completely through, by wearing them continually.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now