(54 Posts)
FrustratedFrugal Sun 01-Jan-17 12:02:40

Mine:

At least 10000 steps per day
Dry January
Total S&B shopping ban in January

What are yours?

Floisme Sun 01-Jan-17 13:00:24

Ok this may be long. I want to try and find a way of reconciling my clothes habit with shopping more ethically / sustainably. It's something that's bothered me for a while. There's no point in saying I'll only shop at People Tree because it just won't happen. I posted on a 'no spend' thread but who am I kidding. So the plan is:

Planned purchases only if buying new. Filling a wardrobe gap, replacing an old favourite or trying out a new look will all be ok. But 'Ooh that's nice!' and 'What a bargain!' will not. Ouch.

Recycle my own wardrobe more. I've been buying clothes a long time and I don't do this enough.

No limit on 2nd hand: charity shop, vintage, dress agency etc. I got back into vintage this year after a long break so this part should be fun.

Not another penny for Philip Green until he repays the BHS pensions deficit. I know all fashion retail is grim but I just cannot bear the thought of helping that man buy any more yachts.

Try and put aside £25 a month and, at the end of the year, use it to buy something luxurious and sustainable e.g. Brora cashmere.

Feel free to kick my arse if I stray - and keep reminding me that TK Maxx doesn't count as second hand. Hope I don't kill the thread Frugal blush

mowglik Sun 01-Jan-17 14:04:40

Learn how to shop from my wardrobe
Wear more of the clothes I do have - try wear everyone once
Keep S&B spending to under £50 pm confused
Only replace HG toiletries

RemusLupinsChristmasMovie Sun 01-Jan-17 14:31:49

Try to wear (a v little) more colour, although all black will always be my favourite.

Drink more water (am absolutely rubbish at this).

Try to replace old favourites with better versions -
: really good black skinnies (if such things exist)
: one perfect black jumper rather than lots of okay ones
: one perfect black jersey dress (which clearly doesn't exist)
: brown ankle boots to replace ancient gunslinger boots

Paint nails more often.

Newbrummie Sun 01-Jan-17 14:41:10

2 litres of water a day
No lattes, which in turn will mean no cakes
Green smoothie every day
And no clothes at all before May. Then tons of clothes in the summer sales 😁

ilovecherries Sun 01-Jan-17 15:19:54

1. Take analgesia strategically and regularly, rather than denying I need it till I'm in bed for three days. This is a BIG mental hurdle for me, but it is actually linked to both S and B (leads to better sleep, better mood, more enthusiasm for life) and to self care, which Im also trying to focus on.

2. Walk 10000 steps every day. Although pain does interfere with this, it might be less of an issue if I commit to (1) above.

3. At least five portions of whole veggies and two of fruit every day, plus 2 litres of water.

4. Continue skin care routine. Only started this a month ago (mid 50s!) and already im seeing a difference.

5. Smile more and worry less!

DameDoom Sun 01-Jan-17 17:47:37

I will not keep anything for best. I will wear my entire wardrobe. I need to make sure I keep on top of polishing shoes, dry cleaning and de-bobbling of cashmere.
I will get my hair cut every six weeks and never let it grow beneath my shoulders again as it really drags my face down.
Will step away from the Botox and perhaps have more threads put in to stave off sag.

randomeragain Sun 01-Jan-17 18:00:50

I will try to be less of a fat ugly twat

bigkidsdidit Sun 01-Jan-17 18:06:25

1. Start wearing lipstick
2. Actually hand wash my hand wash clothes and stop risking machine washing (ruined two jumpers last year )

MrsGuyOfGisbo Sun 01-Jan-17 18:21:52

These are all really good!
The one I am trying to do is I will not keep anything for best. I will wear my entire wardrobe and apply it to everything - eg skincare/hair products/food stores/crockery/drinks glasses etc.
Posted on another thread that I am sick of all the clutter we have accumulated. Trying to work through it all and chuck things that I am saving for a mythical time when they will be needed.

ConkerTriumphant Sun 01-Jan-17 18:25:06

I have 90 pairs of shoes. That's ridiculous. I won't be buying any more and I will only have 45 by the end of the year.

mumsnit Sun 01-Jan-17 19:13:59

This year I'm not buy anything else online as in clothing or shoes. Am truly fed up of sending things back as they don't look anything like I expected from the photo or the quality is rubbish!!

Am planning to buy much less and only good quality. Also really committed to shopping more ethically too.

Desperately need to overhaul my underwear drawer in 2017 - it's all so old and embarrassing!

Oh and I need to STOP buying perfume blush

FreeButtonBee Sun 01-Jan-17 20:15:28

I am doing a wardrobe clear out and making a list of gaps. I am doing a category at a time (so pjs, loungewear, gym gear, jeans and casual stuff, workwear, summer stuff etc) and breaking down the wish list into priority stuff and nice to haves.

I really do need to lose a stone and commit to regular hair cuts now that I have found an awesome hairdresser.

I am still plugging away with using up cosmetics and toiletries on the other thread which has been amazing. So many things gone.

Regular baths and keeping my toenails neat would be another nice thing.

TheMrsD Sun 01-Jan-17 22:28:29

I've got about 6 things in my wardrobe so a clear out would leave me.. cold.
I'm going to drink water, eat less sugar and try to sleep more.

TheMrsD Sun 01-Jan-17 22:30:27

Oh, and ditto the online thing (that's why I have so little to wear) it's all too fucking short or see through.

EmNetta Mon 02-Jan-17 00:52:58

I'm resolving to remove all the footwear I've not worn in the last five years (or so, because that's a lot)
and
going to remember a nightly Vaseline on brows & lashes, which does make a real difference and is almost free, so no excuses.

MudCity Mon 02-Jan-17 03:57:11

These are brilliant. I resonate with all of them.

Mine are:

Moisturise daily
Drink water...even 250mls each day would be better than my existing intake
Stop buying STUFF.

mathanxiety Mon 02-Jan-17 07:52:57

More exercise
More decluttering of clothes
Less sugar, more veg

jmszel Mon 02-Jan-17 07:59:42

I just turned 39 and have been neglecting myself since having my youngest who is 21 months. I've started making sure I cleanse and moisturize twice a day, but also to wash my hair more regularly rather than just plaiting it when im tired. I would like to try make up but have never worn it and don't know where to start! My diet is pretty good after a overhaul last June and I'm wanting to continue to lose weight and wear my lovely dresses and skirts more now I fit them. Just to hard somedays sad

Itsautumn Mon 02-Jan-17 08:06:57

Mine are:
10000 steps a day
More water
De clutter wardrobe and only buy clothes to fill gaps. I made a start on this and really don't need anything until at least the summer
Use up existing beauty & skincare stash and only replace items when I have run out

FrustratedFrugal Mon 02-Jan-17 09:10:24

Fantastic resolutions! Good luck everyone. I am also adding fruit + veg and trying to sleep better.

I met my exercise goals and resisted wine and shopping yesterday!

The local newspaper says that so many people make NY resolutions that greengrocery sales go up by 20% in Jan and alcohol sales go down by 20%!

applesandpears33 Mon 02-Jan-17 09:11:13

Lose weight as I'll then fit into more of the clothes in the wardrobe.

Wear out and then throw out more of the clothes in the wardrobe rather than buying new stuff. I was on one of the frugal threads last year and although I didn't stick to it completely I think I threw out more than I bought over the course of the year.

Wear more make up - it does help me to look a bit better.

Walk 8000 steps a day (I'm realistic and will not manage 10000)

RebelandaStunner Mon 02-Jan-17 09:29:12

Only buy what I need, but also buying the best version I can find e.g.my old favourite jeans have had it and I want to replace them but the new pair have got to be as good if not better.

Eat more protein- I started this last year and haven't had one cold.

Use up beauty and perfume products before buying new. It's silly how tempted I get to buy more, but I want to de-clutter not add clutter.

Try and be much calmer, I have been like a snapping turtle on occasions.

Carry on with mini exercises- particularly for neck, wings and bust.

citychick Mon 02-Jan-17 11:00:23

More exercise
Drink more water
Drink less alcohol - not a big drinker anyway.
Get my teeth fixed (again). Vain, I know, but they've slipped over the years and I am becoming self conscious about them.
Buy good quality clothing. I am turning 46 this year so this year is unlikely to be a no spend year.
It's time to up my game a bit!

Good luck everyone!

DanyellasDonkey Mon 02-Jan-17 14:02:42

I need to sort out my casual clothes so that I can look at least half decent. Work clothes are fine as I have plenty of smart, dark-coloured clothes that always look nice.

However the weekend is another matter. I want to feel comfortable but all I ever wear are long sleeved plain t-shirts and jeans. I see other people looking good in casual clothes but can never seem to replicate the look for myself.

Any advice would be welcome to get me out of this mess sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now