Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Clarisonic brushes - a couple of years on, what's the verdict?

(15 Posts)
YesThisIsMe Sat 31-Dec-16 17:56:33

I'm thinking of a New Year skincare resolution and getting a Clarisonic brush and a spare head or two for me (middle aged, generally crap skin and terrible pores) and DD (teenage, blackheads) and maybe eventually DS (pre-teen, perfect skin but it's only a matter of time) to share. I can afford it, but it is a fair amount to splash out.

So, people with experience, did you get one? Did they work? Did they break? Did you stick at it? Did anyone's teenagers use them? A couple of years on, what's the verdict?

Thanks and happy New Year?

SilentlyScreamingAgain Sat 31-Dec-16 17:59:20

I got the biggest breakout I've ever had, even as a teenager. I gave it to a friend who is generally less spot prone and the same thing happened to her. We agreed we couldn't think of anyone we disliked enough to pass it on, so it went in the bin.

CantChoose Sat 31-Dec-16 20:07:51

I've used one since they first came out and I love mine. My acne prone skin was the best it ever was before medication. And I still use it now and really notice if I've not had it for a few days on holiday.
I've read really mixed things about them but I wouldn't be without mine. I have the body brush attachment as it came free but I don't like that at all.

Kennington Sat 31-Dec-16 20:11:01

If you want thread veins from the constant hammering of skin they are just the thing.
Don't touch.

MaeveMillay Sat 31-Dec-16 20:11:08

I wouldn't be without mine me either. I think I've had it three years and my skin has improved dramatically.

TheLuckyMrsPine Sat 31-Dec-16 20:21:18

I got the Clinique version and although it leaves my skin feeling super clean I can't help but think it leaves my pores looking bigger when used for more than a week at a time?

neveradullmoment99 Sat 31-Dec-16 22:10:05

I didnt get a clarisonic but bought no 7's version. Skin was great to begin with but shortlived. Terrible whiteheads like i have never had. They have mostly cleared up and my skin is the best its ever been now i have given up using it. Not good for my skin at all.

Fiona2609 Sun 01-Jan-17 08:31:08

I have had a Clarisonic for just over 3 years and my skin is really good. I use it 5 days out of 7.
People should realise that your skin has cycles, so you need to persevere for at least 6 to 8 weeks before passing judgement. Also you mustn't press too hard.
Very pleased with the results, though.

Newbrummie Sun 01-Jan-17 10:25:09

My eldest got one for her Christmas present and it's been like a magic wand, her skin looks the best it has it years and we've spent a fortune of lazer treatment and all sorts

prettygreen Sun 01-Jan-17 12:49:05

I got a thread vein as well. Don't get one if your skin is sensitive.

DameDoom Sun 01-Jan-17 18:28:46

Mine is at the back of the cupboard with my Tua Trend face firmer thingumy and my Philips facial laser.
Clarisonic ravaged my face and made rosacea far worse. Might get it out to use on feet though.

Fuzzypeggy Sun 01-Jan-17 19:01:11

I really like mine but I only use it once a week or sometimes once a fortnight. as I think that exfoliating every day is too much.

JDSTER Sun 01-Jan-17 23:17:59

I've got one too but it's gathering dust. Face feels soft after use because of course it does exfoliate but I really didn't notice an overall change in pores or skin condition.
The heads are expensive to replace and in my opinion there are far superior ways of exfoliating your skin. Have you tried acid exfoliation OP? If you choose the right one it can have fantastic results and your daughter could use as well (need to use sunscreen)

YesThisIsMe Sun 01-Jan-17 23:25:24

Thank you everyone. Not quite as clearcut as I might have hoped, but it sounds like the balance of opinion is negative.

As it happens I got myself a cheap and cheerful acid peel in the Boots sale, which I'll try when I have a mo.

messystressy Sun 01-Jan-17 23:31:56

I too had big breakouts, it was hugely embarrassing, and so stopped using it. I read about it and apparently this is the 'purge' and you need to get through it. I couldn't though - it just created spots then I couldn't use it as it just meant more spots as bacteria was spread around my face (eurrgghh). I was very disappointed, had high hopes for it. I might try again when I'm stuck at home for a week and won't have to show my face in public.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: