Talk

Advanced search

Fat & Frumpy

(9 Posts)
Mybeautifullife1 Sat 31-Dec-16 09:15:27

2016 has been shit. I now face 2017 as a separated, fat, frumpy, 49 year old. I live in jeans, shapeless tops and flat shoes. I rarely wear makeup. When I look in the mirror I feel sad. I look like I've given up (I have).

So, on the basis of new year, new start - where do I start? I intend to overall myself but haven't got a clue. I'm a size 18-20 and big everywhere.

Please please please help me find some more stylish clothes to wear during the day.

keeponkeepinon Sat 31-Dec-16 09:33:26

I live in jeans and flat shoes too. Last year I got myself a few long sleeve good fabric breton tops, and some good leather ankle boots and I practically live in them, with a couple of scarves to make different.
I'm not at the forefront of fashion nor do I want to be but I value a few timeless items now that make me feel smart and therefore better about myself.
As for makeup, I'm lazy and hardly ever wear it but feel so much better when I smooth a bit of BB cream, a touch of blusher and a quick whoosh of mascara. Less than a two minute job.

Hope you have a better year. flowers

Mybeautifullife1 Sat 31-Dec-16 12:53:29

Thanks keepon. That's the sort of change I need. By this time next year I want to be back to the old me but I think I need to evolve rather than do anything too drastic.

Gruach Sat 31-Dec-16 13:02:38

There's a thread!

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/style_and_beauty/2694299-If-you-are-old-and-fat

happyfeet1 Sat 31-Dec-16 13:09:00

Why don't you concentrate on changing one thing per month in 2017? Write down 12 things...For example, January start exercising for 10 minutes a day, 5 times per week, February start a skin care routine, March 5 fruit and veg a day, April wear a little makeup every day etc
Making one little change at a time until it becomes a habit will make it easier to stick to.
Imagine how much better you will feel this time next year smile

ilovecherries Sat 31-Dec-16 20:44:09

Definitely read the thread Gruach linked to. 6 months ago I was definately where you are. I was dressing out of mountain warehouse, and looked and felt a total disaster. I committed initially to perfume, mascara and earrings every day, then I ordered masses (and I mean masses - I needed an excel spreadsheet to track my returns) of clothes, and built up a decent basic wardrobe. Maybe not super stylish, but all things I felt good in. I bought a lot of stuff from a Boden, Poetry, Wrap and the odd thing from independent shops and Monsoon. My wardrobe isn't huge now, but everything fits and I enjoy wearing it - mainly trousers/Bretons/cashmere jumpers/wrap dresses and tunic dresses.

LittleOyster Sun 01-Jan-17 11:04:33

Sorry to hear that you have had such a difficult year, OP. flowers

I hit rock bottom in terms of S&B a few years ago, after a long period of PND. I found that, as I started to pull things back together, quick wins were really important - it's vital to see immediate results when just setting out, IMO. For me, that meant putting together a manageable makeup routine (to begin with, just BB cream, mascara and a tinted lipbalm), getting a load of pretty earrings from ebay and also a few colourful, vaguely trendy outfits from Primark (didn't want to spend much because I had 3 stone to lose). I also joined Slimming World. I hated the idea of having to go to a slimming club, but it turned out to be transformative. The weight came off really quickly, but even after the first week or so, I felt so much more body-confident and in control.

Good luck, OP. I hope you really enjoy re-discovering your style and giving yourself some TLC.

Mybeautifullife1 Sun 01-Jan-17 13:02:17

Thank you ladies. Starting today I'm going to start wearing makeup. Im also going to get my ears pierced (one hole has closed up) and book a hair and brows appointment.

I'm going to wait until spring stock is in the shops and then get some smarter clothes.

LittleOyster Sun 01-Jan-17 15:42:25

Oooh, yes - brows. Five minute face-lift!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now