Talk

Advanced search

What are you wearing for NYE?

(37 Posts)
goingmadinthecountry Sat 31-Dec-16 02:17:59

We're going to a party at friends' house - will maxi dress be OK? It's gold-ish jersey from Phase 8. I'm 53. Alternatives are black dress (knee length, yawn) or sequin skirt and black top, again a bit yawn. Would happily chop maxi dress to mid calf??? Was bought for James Bond party at an outlet so not special.

Pretty please help - am really not good at this. Have already worn my favourite red dress with exact same friends this Christmas so want a change.
uk.images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=A9mSs2W_FGdYRR4AkEFLBQx.;_ylu=X3oD My gold dress.

Liiinoo Sat 31-Dec-16 07:38:37

The link doesn't work but the dress sounds lovely and I would always rather wear colour than black. Are you worried you might be overdressed?

CatsRule Sat 31-Dec-16 11:16:17

Our Hogmanay sounds similar and I'm wearing a black with red circles maxi dress from Hobbs that I bought on ebay a while ago. I'm 38 if that matters. I think your dress sounds nice. Although I have to admit I'm not very fashionable and I couldn't tell you what's in or not!

Artandco Sat 31-Dec-16 11:19:36

Loads of layers. Will be outside watching fireworks with only Mulled wine for warmth.

Liiinoo Sat 31-Dec-16 11:22:59

For the record I will be wearing leopard print pyjamas and a contented smile as I relax in front of the fire with DH and a bottle of champagne.

FreeButtonBee Sat 31-Dec-16 11:23:21

Pyjamas!

sn0wne Sat 31-Dec-16 11:40:24

It's my birthday today so I'm planning on buying a dress at H&M (only decent and affordable shop around here). Not too dressy (no-one dresses up in this country sad) but something to make me feel special.

Your dress sounds lovely. Why chop it?

CointreauVersial Sat 31-Dec-16 12:14:20

For the first time in years I have no plans for NYE. I'm actually quite relieved! So I shall probably be curled up on the sofa in a cosy jumper, leggings and slippers.

Although we might pop over the road to the pub for a quick drink. In which case, I will probably wear dark skinny jeans, heels and a pretty top, possibly a navy blouse with gold threads I bought recently from M&S.

Floisme Sat 31-Dec-16 12:21:22

Slippers for me too or maybe even crocs shock. My son is going out so I don't have to. Bliss.

Op, the gold dress sounds lovely op and I'd be careful of cutting it down - I've done it a couple of times and it never looked quite right. You can never be overdressed on New Years Eve.

TatterdemalionAspie Sat 31-Dec-16 12:22:30

My leisure pants. And no bra.

Happy New Year. wink

HappyGirlNow Sat 31-Dec-16 14:24:33

This dress Out for drinks and a meal. Last chance to go full on sparkle until next Christmas so I am going for it grin

burnishedsilver Sat 31-Dec-16 14:33:16

Pajamas, enjoying a celebratory box of tissues and nurofen cold and flu tablets 😣

burnishedsilver Sat 31-Dec-16 14:37:42

Pyjamas. I'm obviously sick.

JaceLancs Sat 31-Dec-16 14:38:44

Navy blue cord jeggings and a navy blue jumper with a tiny hint of glitter in it and button detailing at the back
NYE house party with friends and stopping over so comfort with a hint of glam

HollyAndShit Sat 31-Dec-16 14:48:15

Happygirl- love that dress!

FauxFox Sat 31-Dec-16 14:56:27

Staying in for a nice dinner with DH and the DCs - got sparklers, glow sticks and some games and might watch a film while we stay up for the bells. I'm going to wear a gold sequin mini skirt with navy opaque tights and navy jumper and faux fur coat for the outside bits...and my furry slipper boots grin

Littleballerina Sat 31-Dec-16 14:58:30

Uniform sad

RemusLupinsChristmasMovie Sat 31-Dec-16 15:02:41

Literally just decided to go out, so will need something a bit better than my PJs and slippers.

Only to the local pub, so doubt anybody will be overly dressed up. I'll either go for a black velvet bodycon dress if I decide to glam up a bit, or skinnies or a black mini and heeled ankle boots if not.

Kirriemuir Sat 31-Dec-16 15:04:48

Pjs!

HappyGirlNow Sat 31-Dec-16 15:06:43

Thanks holly - been desperate to wear it for weeks grin

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Sat 31-Dec-16 15:08:54

Oh don't chop the dress. It will be really tricky to get it straight and obvious you've hacked at it in a "what shall I wear?" last minute panic. grin.

I'm of the age where I'd be worried about feeling cold in a maxi dress? Does it have arms? I'd be tempted to go for the black top and sequin skirt I think.

RebelandaStunner Sat 31-Dec-16 15:15:30

Black leather mini skirt, opaques, grey fitted T-shirt. Boots and jacket.
Party/disco at our local.

RebelandaStunner Sat 31-Dec-16 15:18:08

Op I think either gold (not chopped!) or sequins for NYE will go down well.

Floisme Sat 31-Dec-16 15:33:19

I think everyone should go glam: gold, giltter, black velvet, sequins.That includes all you too-cool-to-dress up Londoners.

(I'm still in pyjamas and have no plans to change wink)

RemusLupinsChristmasMovie Sat 31-Dec-16 15:36:55

I bet they're particularly stylish PJs though, Flo. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now