Talk

Advanced search

Where can i buy a plus size suit

(12 Posts)
Fabiantheking Fri 30-Dec-16 10:23:38

Does anyone know where I can get a decent suit in size 24?

My current workplace has a casual dress code so I have no smart clothes but I am looking for a new job so need a decent suit for interviews.
I work in a very conservative industry (the casual dress at my current workplace is very unusual) so it needs to be a suit.

I have had suits from Evans and similar places in the past but they are cheap horrible material and so badly fitting. I am not very confident in job interviews and wearing cheap badly fitting clothes makes me feel worse.

I can afford to pay for a decent suit but don't know where to look for one in my size.

AprilLady Fri 30-Dec-16 11:49:52

Marina Rinaldi, very expensive but may be worthwhile if you can afford it?

When I was size 22/24 and needed very formal workwear I also wore a lot of dresses with smart jackets/blazers. I felt smart and neat and appropriately dressed even in very corporate settings. I had some success with Jacques Vert for dresses and jackets, but their latest collections have been rather too obviously occasion wear.

Fabiantheking Fri 30-Dec-16 13:25:38

Thanks, I have had a quick look on my phone will have a proper look later when I get home.
It is expensive but probably worth it if I can find something decent that fits well and will last.
I definitely would consider a dress and jacket but getting a dress that fits well is even harder as my bust is out of proportion with my stomach & hips.

ilovecherries Fri 30-Dec-16 16:05:05

I was going to suggest Marina Rinaldi as well. For a budget option Next (online only) does a range of mix and match workwear up to a size 26. They do it in black and navy, and there's jackets, shift dresses, trousers in a couple of styles, and I think skirts in the range.

UncomfortableBadger Sat 31-Dec-16 09:26:35

I'm an 18-20 but have similar workwear troubles.

Shops where I've succeeded are:
Next
M&S
Tu at Sainsbury's
Simply Be
Dorothy Perkins
ASOS Curve
TK Maxx
eBay
Country Casuals (ignore the name - they have/had reasonable quality suits!)
Debenhams
House of Fraser

It's still pot luck though - I ordered an M&S suit last week which was cut horribly, but my previous M&S suit was glorious.

Now, if I find a suit I like, I tend to buy 3-4 pairs of trousers and a skirt to match to make it last longer!

What I do a lot now is wear a super fitted, sharp tailored jacket with a work-appropriate dress underneath. Less stressful than trying to find a suit smile

auberginesrus Sat 31-Dec-16 12:29:32

I was also going to suggest dress and jacket. Had a couple of job interviews earlier this year and wore a well tailored jersey dress which I find more flattering than a shift/structured dress and a smart jacket. Must have been OK as I got a big promotion, and have worn the dress a lot for work since! Much comfier than a suit but still smart. Dress was from Simply Be and I liked it so much I bought another one in a different colour. I'll see if I can find a link.

auberginesrus Sat 31-Dec-16 12:33:57

It was this style, I have it in black and a print:

www.simplybe.co.uk/shop/damson-twist-knot-front-dress/iq210/product/details/show.action?pdBoUid=4402#colour:Damson,size:18

polyhymnia Sat 31-Dec-16 13:46:47

Another vote here for Marina Rinaldi. When I was in an office senior management role all my clothes came from there. If you can, go to their London shop to give you an idea of sizing etc before ordering online. A shop called Beige Plus also have a lot of their stuff, though personally I prefer their own shop. As they are Italian ( part of Maxmara) I try to buy when I'm in Italy if possible as it's cheaper.
It may also be worth looking at Boden workwear- goes up to a usually generous 22.

Want2bSupermum Sat 31-Dec-16 14:03:28

It's tough when you are big and trying to look ok in suits because it's vital the tailoring is excellent.

I'm a size 18 these days and wear dresses with a jacket. I feel like I look better with a patterned dress with a plain jacket over the top. Proper support also helps keep my rolls of fat in.

VivienneWestwoodsKnickers Sat 31-Dec-16 14:07:30

I got mine in Debenhams, but I tend to go for a suit type dress and a plain jacket, rather than faff with ill fitting or ill matching separates. I get my dresses in the Monsoon sales as well as Debenhams. Occasionally TU at Sainsbury's.

LockedOutOfMN Sat 31-Dec-16 14:09:01

Next, H&M, New Look. Good luck for your interview, OP!

Fabiantheking Sat 31-Dec-16 19:26:22

Thanks for all the advice, I will get shopping, a lot of the websites I have looked at have sales on which helps.
I think I will go for a dress and jacket, looks smart and professional and hopefully will be more comfortable than a traditional suit.

I haven't got an interview yet but hope to get one soon and they are normally arranged just a day or 2 before so I need to get clothes sorted ASAP.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now